Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaBjorn electric plane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just 21 kWh battery, and after a 15 min flight the plane has only consumed 15% or around 3 kWh. Incredible.

It's the Pipistrel Alpha Electro. I'd seen/read about it before.

Pretty efficient given the cruising speed.

It shows both how much planes need a battery density increase, and how much they'd benefit from one.
Consider what would happen to this plane with double the density: 2 1/2 hour flight at light load (remember that it has a half hour reserve), or, more likely, over an hour range if built to support a bit more passenger load, which would make it much more flexible as a trainer.

There's a racing group that wants to begin an electric race series in 2020.
Electric Airplane Race is Launched

There are of course various companies working on other electric plane projects.

All about the batteries.

That was an amazing video.

I was wondering if it makes sense to have two motors , one for each of those counter rotating props, or just have one big motor and have a gear that counter rotates one of the props.

I am sure the team would have weighed in that and choose two motors.

That was an amazing video.

I was wondering if it makes sense to have two motors , one for each of those counter rotating props, or just have one big motor and have a gear that counter rotates one of the props.

I am sure the team would have weighed in that and choose two motors.
If you watch the video, they explain how dual props work and how they are powered and why.