Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally sorted out how to get it to enable the in-car formatter for my Samsung T5 SSD. The drive must be partitioned with a single exFAT partition. Previously it was partitioned on my mac with a GUID partition table and a single FAT32 partition which is no longer the 'native' configuration for the car. I had to basically use DiskPart on windows to remove both the primary master boot record partition (requires the 'override' option) and the original FAT32 partition and then using DiskMgmt to create a single exFAT partition from the unallocated disk and then create the 'TeslaCam' folder on that disk. After doing all of this the in-car 'Format USB' button is finally enabled. Allowed the car to format the disk once again just to be sure it is fully compatible as I have been having issues with missing or corrupt footage on the car.

In conclusion the old guid + FAT32 partitioning scheme is no longer compatible with the in car formatter. If you want to enable a greyed out format button you will need to remove all partitions on the drive and create a single exFAT partition with the 'TeslaCam' folder in it.

Don't know if I'm being a fool.

Replicated your advice with my new 1TB T5 @groovyd deleted partition in diskpart, new simple volume -> exFAT / default allocation \ no drive title ->TeslaCam folder.

Detected by car for Dashcam and Sentry, but Format button still greyed out

Mine is once again greyed out after i formatted it once using the in-car after having done those change to enable the in car format. Not sure also I believe it disables the format option if it thinks it has a valid formatted disk with footage on it. Could it be it stored some event footage before you got the menu? In any case the sentry and dashcam is still not storing events properly to the flash even after using their in car format function. I think they really jacked up the dashcam in the past couple builds.

Fair enough, thanks for the follow-up. If anything, my Sentry has gone nuts since 2020.20. Iget uowards of 1200+ events per day on my drive at home now!

Mine refuses to actually store footage of the events. The only events I see in the in-car listing are the second before i tap my key card to get in the door. I mean for real that's how bad it is that they don't even discount the event a half second before unlocking and opening the door. Please Tesla someone needs to really test these features and on the types of SSD people are using and make sure it actually works always. Take a break adding more features and fix the bugs first please. I'm totally cool if it for some reason requires a 'special' drive, just sell it to me and make sure it actually works. I rely on these features now to keep my neighbor who will never admits to hitting my car door with hers honest.

Last edited: