Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslacam does not turn off when parking overnight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey so while using teslacam, and parking my car in my garage overnight it does not seem to turn off? I now have to manually hold the cam button till the red light disappears every time while parking at home. Anyone else run into this issue? Otherwise the Teslacam records all night it seems even when sentry mode is off

I have noticed mine keeps recording for a couple hours after I get home. So if I check the USB drive the next day, I will have an hour's worth of files that begins an hour after I got home and ends 2 hours after I got home.

Kind of annoying. I'm not turning on Sentry mode, so don't know why it's doing this.

I’ve seen the same thing, lots of footage of the inside of my garage. I don’t see much vampire drain though. I have my battery gauge set to percent, not miles, but I usually don’t see any change in the reading overnight.

think they should just do location based recording on or off. Or even disable all USB/12v based off location. So if you save your garage location everything just turns off but I guess thats high hopes right now. Right now I literally unplug my radar and hold the record icon till the icon shows no recording every time I park at home.

After a bit of thought, is this really that big a deal for Teslacam? If the footage in the \Recent folder is expendable (it is because you didn't save it), then it shouldn't matter if it's overwritten with what's in the garage? If the car is not asleep, the cams are still powered on even without the USB stick with \TeslaCam inserted, right? As long as the cams recording the footage to the drive don't consume excessive power (?) or prevent the car going to sleep, then where's the downside?

The radar detector is another story though... :)

Ian

No, I'm not using any 3rd party apps, and not saying my car doesn't sleep. I'm just saying that it doesn't seem like a big deal if the car keeps writing footage to USB\TeslaCam folder until it actually does go to sleep (even in park in your garage).

Stupid maybe (if sentry mode is not enabled), but not that big a deal in terms of power consumption as long as the car stops when it sleeps and it is still able to sleep. If the cams stay powered on until the car sleeps anyway, then it can't cost much in terms of power to simply write that data to the USB drive?

Ian

Hey so while using teslacam, and parking my car in my garage overnight it does not seem to turn off? I now have to manually hold the cam button till the red light disappears every time while parking at home. Anyone else run into this issue? Otherwise the Teslacam records all night it seems even when sentry mode is off

Why should time of day matter when recording? Think about it. If you park in a sketchy area over night. You probably want it recording during the whole time right? So time of day doesn't really matter. It sounds like you just want to turn it off when you're at home though so for that you can just enable it to turn off automatically at the location of your home.