Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam Ensures Justice After Accident + Validates Need for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving to work this morning, a van tried making a U-turn at the intersection behind me. Unfortunately, he didn't see the oncoming car!

Fortunately no one was hurt, and I let the drivers know I probably had footage. As it turned out, the left cam was perfect to help the car driver ensure she doesn't get stuck in a "he said, she said" situation, though the crash scene is probably pretty clear. That's the closest I'll probably ever come to feeling like Batman.

Can't wait for FSD to be good enough for general use. I'd rather not put my life in the hands of sentient bags of meat with only two forward-looking sensors!

Good catch!!!

I just recently had to check the recordings as I found a scratch just behind the driver's door. (Keyed??) I found the incident on the TeslaCam.
Turns out someone was struggling with packages and for an instance one slipped and made the offending scratch. Couldn't have been intentional (since it was only an inch long and perfectly straight).

Touch up solved it - I let it go.

Is the van driver an idiot? How do you not see the other car (with it’s lights on too)?

My theory is that came to a stop, got distracted and let his foot off the brake. It doesn’t look like he’s accelerating strongly as if he’s intentionally merging into the lane. He probably saw the line of traffic coming, decided he had time to play with his phone or something, and the van rolled out into traffic. I was in a crosswalk a few years ago where a driver did something similar, almost ran me over (slowly).

Here's some additional info about the scene:

1) The driver had two guys beside him in the front of the van, so a greater chance of having a partially obscured view
2) Shortly after this intersection (moving in the direction I was headed) there is right lane exit connecting to a highway, which most cars are headed for this time of day

I suspect the van driver was focusing on getting into a gap in the right lane which is why he kept inching forward into the middle of the first lane when he thought it was clear.

Certainly a high risk place and time to try that u-turn. Just glad no one was injured.

Love people who've never made mistakes ...

I know it was sarcasm, but I take it as a complement as I've been driving since 1969 with no accidents or tickets, I was taught from a very young age to take driving very seriously, because it only takes one "mistake" and someone could die!.

In the below, this dump truck decided his time was too important for him to stop for a red light and he ran a light in front of 4 lanes of traffic. This is a frame from my front cam yesterday on my way home, I was already heading into the intersection when he decided to run the light.

red light runner (01-13-20).jpg

Last edited:
About all the "shouldn't be driving" judgements, there's just one problem: it's virtually impossible to make a middle class living without driving a car. You can be chauffeured if you're rich, or you can scrape an existence spending half your days on public transit. It's just how things work in the US. All the more important for automated safer cars to be available to all.

About all the "shouldn't be driving" judgements, there's just one problem: it's virtually impossible to make a middle class living without driving a car. You can be chauffeured if you're rich, or you can scrape an existence spending half your days on public transit. It's just how things work in the US. All the more important for automated safer cars to be available to all.
I make a middle-class living commuting on public transit or a bike, depending on what’s going on that day. Chauffeured by an employee of SacRT. It can be done.