Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam - How big of a flash drive is best

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as a warning to anyone looking to attach a humongous portable hard drive to a Tesla Model S: After 400GB of clips the MCU begins to crash and struggle holding all the clips in memory.

You'll experience slow scrolling and paralyzing loading screens on a 2TB Hard Drive after the 400GB mark. I can give the loading screen to the mechanical architecture but the slow scrolling does seem a little strange on the software side.

If you never delete clips on a 1-2TB HDD, you'll begin to experience Sentry Mode and Dash Cam refusing to identify the drive as usable.

It's possible that this issue is caused by multiple casualties by deciding to use a mechanical drive, but at times it seems entirely like a software related limitation. I've only ever managed to get SentryMode to create 400GB before refusing to stay connected to the drive or create new files. As it's a little unreasonable pricewise, I won't be able to test the same issue on a very large Solid State Drive.

Could be caused by temperature, slow seek speed, or software failures. Reminds me of the 2TB iPod mod that would end up crashing due to out of memory errors.

As a personal fix, I'm likely to buy a much smaller Tesla recommended flash drive. It seems that even under tested drives they haven't recommended anything over 64GB. I'm guessing they just have the software dropping as many files as possible without regard for fundamental limits of software or drive speed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Just as a warning to anyone looking to attach a humongous portable hard drive to a Tesla Model S: After 400GB of clips the MCU begins to crash and struggle holding all the clips in memory.

You'll experience slow scrolling and paralyzing loading screens on a 2TB Hard Drive after the 400GB mark. I can give the loading screen to the mechanical architecture but the slow scrolling does seem a little strange on the software side.

If you never delete clips on a 1-2TB HDD, you'll begin to experience Sentry Mode and Dash Cam refusing to identify the drive as usable.

It's possible that this issue is caused by multiple casualties by deciding to use a mechanical drive, but at times it seems entirely like a software related limitation. I've only ever managed to get SentryMode to create 400GB before refusing to stay connected to the drive or create new files. As it's a little unreasonable pricewise, I won't be able to test the same issue on a very large Solid State Drive.

Could be caused by temperature, slow seek speed, or software failures. Reminds me of the 2TB iPod mod that would end up crashing due to out of memory errors.

As a personal fix, I'm likely to buy a much smaller Tesla recommended flash drive. It seems that even under tested drives they haven't recommended anything over 64GB. I'm guessing they just have the software dropping as many files as possible without regard for fundamental limits of software or drive speed.

1) Why are we bumping an old a$$ thread for this?
2) Why are you using a mechanical drive in a bumpy car? No wonder you're having issues.
3) Stop using FAT32. The default format of the USB drive is exFAT

2) Why are you using a mechanical drive in a bumpy car? No wonder you're having issues.
One reason to use FAT32 is if you do what I and some others do, partition the TeslaCam partition 950GB using exFAT, then use another 50GB or whatever size in FAT32 and put your music on it....works great with a Sandisk SSD 1TB drive.

Agree with the rest...I have no problems with a 1TB SSD

Overkill...but hey, after my 128GB stock USB filled up in about 2 weeks with Sentry mode on at work...I fixed that real quick...plus I had several laying around of these.

• Love
Reactions: Justin Valerio
1) Trying to provide relevant information for given question. If you are annoyed maybe unsub or delete account? This site after all is designed to allow info sharing, regardless of date of question.
2) Typical forces on a drive should not be substantial enough to inflict damage to a drive. Would rather destroy a HDD than an SSD. According to S.M.A.R.T the drive is fully healthy and not withstanding anything substantial after a year of use. I'm assuming in the event of a crash it will drop footage to the internal storage such as Sentry Mode does when an alarm is triggered.
3) I appreciate the suggestion. I'll likely attempt this when granted time. I switched over to a Samsung USB recommended by Tesla for the time being. Documentation is a little confusing as Music seems to require FAT32 and mistakenly assumed that TeslaCam was the same in that regard.

... you're using a mechanical hard drive in a car?

Also the 128GB version of the recommended Samsung Fit Plus drive is the one Tesla is now including with every new car in the glovebox.
Yes, indeed, a mechanical hard drive, in a car.

According to diagnostic software the drive is still fully healthy after a year of use. Probably will attempt again with it running exFAT instead of FAT32.

Switched over to a SAMSUNG MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB today running exFAT.

Quite a few cars used to come with mechanical HDs installed. Granted, they were ruggedized versions, designed for use in vehicles. The two cars I had most recently prior to the tesla both had them, and were working fine when I parted ways with them - a 2012 chevy volt, and a 2014 BWM 535.