Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam issues (mid 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the Sandisk High Endurance cards are suited for dashcams, I would spend a little bit more to get the Samsung Pro Endurance cards as they use better NAND resulting in four times the lifespan. The Sandisk 128GB is rated for 10,000 hours, while the Samsung 128GB is rated for 43,800 hours. Granted it'll probably take more than 5 years to run 10,000 hours, but the higher quality NAND is less prone to errors too.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-128GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B984HJ5/

I appreciate all of this great advice, folks. Seriously. This is a lot of the info that I was hoping to find. Over the time I've been using TeslaCam, I've gotten some crazy, defective files. Maybe it is the car. Maybe it is the inadequate memory chips. I'd like to try the most durable stuff out there. Gets HOT in my car!

Now, if anybody knows of an actual high-quality USB-A to iPhone lightning connector, I'm all ears. Something that could keep up with these fast cards.

I appreciate all of this great advice, folks. Seriously. This is a lot of the info that I was hoping to find. Over the time I've been using TeslaCam, I've gotten some crazy, defective files. Maybe it is the car. Maybe it is the inadequate memory chips. I'd like to try the most durable stuff out there. Gets HOT in my car!

Now, if anybody knows of an actual high-quality USB-A to iPhone lightning connector, I'm all ears. Something that could keep up with these fast cards.

I forgot to mention Sandisk released a newer MAX endurance chip that was released during this pandemic that exceeds even the Samsung. With the higher cost, it's a law of diminishing returns in regards to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter-Security/dp/B084CJ9T2R/

I forgot to mention Sandisk released a newer MAX endurance chip that was released during this pandemic that exceeds even the Samsung. With the higher cost, it's a law of diminishing returns in regards to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Endurance-microSDXC-Adapter-Security/dp/B084CJ9T2R/
Thanks. I'm glad that they keep pushing that envelope. But yeah, there really is such a thing as overboard. The Samsung looks awesome for the price and all. I think it is time for them to stop wasting those adapters.... How many do we all need?!

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightn...5be956465f1cf17ba33f3bdd1c4732&language=en_US

Here's the Apple adapter. Considered one of the most reliable if you don't care about the price.

Even 'regular' non endurance cards are rated for enough reads/writes that as little actual data as the dashcam does you're not gonna wear out a 128GB one for 5-10 years in normal use... double that for a 256.

"max endurance" is a nice idea for multiple-4k-60fps-video-stream recording.... for 4 30fps 720p streams? not so much.

What adapter do you use to fit that card to fit in the car's USB slot ?
Ah, that's the beauty of the iXpand that I've been using. No adapter needed, you see. USB on one end, built-in Lightning connector on the other.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 15.40.55.png

https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/usb-flash-drives/sandisk-ixpand-usb-3-0#SDIX30C-032G-AN6NN

Unplug the other one temporarily?...

Yeah, that seems to have solved everything. I unplugged everything. Reformatted everything. Plugged in only the TeslaCam flash drive..... and it works perfectly. Also allows me to reformat in the car if I wish. Then I put my music flash drive back in.... and now everything is working great. Apparently it gets confused if you have two drives in there.... which makes some sense... and should probably be noted somewhere in the manual.

Good point. And yeah, probably not a limiting factor in this. And since made by Apple, at least I can trust that it actually IS USB 2.0. The no-brand ones that say USB 3.0.... who knows? Even better are the ones that don't even let you know the version. Just USB. Yay.

Given the car is USB 2.0, and the iphone is USB 2.0, not sure what 3 would get you?

One thing I recall from a previous thread though was you might need a powered Lighting->USB connector for some storage devices (but not others- and you'd probably need to dig up the old thread for more details than that- once they added local viewing to the car I lost all interest in that idea)

Given the car is USB 2.0, and the iphone is USB 2.0, not sure what 3 would get you?

One thing I recall from a previous thread though was you might need a powered Lighting->USB connector for some storage devices (but not others- and you'd probably need to dig up the old thread for more details than that- once they added local viewing to the car I lost all interest in that idea)
I wasn't aware that the iPhone (All iPhones the same?) had a USB version designation. Good to know. But to answer your wonderment.... 3.0 would get me exactly 1.0 more than 2.0. More has to be better, right? Like my amp that goes to 11.

No idea about the powered aspect. Doubtful though, since the iXpand works without power.

As for local viewing in the car making all this irrelevant for you.... how are you watching drive video that you didn't save immediately after it happened? For the life of me, I can't figure out why Tesla won't let us view that video. Can only be seen externally once the card is removed from the car.

I wasn't aware that the iPhone (All iPhones the same?) had a USB version designation. Good to know. But to answer your wonderment.... 3.0 would get me exactly 1.0 more than 2.0. More has to be better, right? Like my amp that goes to 11.

Excluding a couple of specific ipads (not iphones) all lightning ports act as USB2.0 hosts, not 3.0.

No idea about the powered aspect. Doubtful though, since the iXpand works without power.

Some devices did, some didn't, work without power- there was a bunch of discussion about which did or didn't.

As for local viewing in the car making all this irrelevant for you.... how are you watching drive video that you didn't save immediately after it happened? For the life of me, I can't figure out why Tesla won't let us view that video. Can only be seen externally once the card is removed from the car.

Why would I want to?

If it was important enough to watch later I'd have saved it.... (you have ~9 minutes to do so- as hitting save preserves the previous 10 minutes of footage)

Why would I want to?

If it was important enough to watch later I'd have saved it.... (you have ~9 minutes to do so- as hitting save preserves the previous 10 minutes of footage)

I can't say why you would or would not want to view unsaved driving video. But I can tell you why *I* do: I'm not the only driver. When other family members return, there are sometimes reasons that I want to view past video. And even when I'm driving, some events that happen in real time don't seem interesting to me... until I'm home and want to answer some questions.

On a slightly different tangent about saving files: Does anybody know what happens in a collision? Is video saved on impact? In a collision that's serious enough, the occupants may not be able to hit save.... or that action may not be the first thing on their minds.

I can tell you why *I* do: I'm not the only driver. When other family members return, there are sometimes reasons that I want to view past video. And even when I'm driving, some events that happen in real time don't seem interesting to me... until I'm home and want to answer some questions.
I purport that this is a real problem with the DashCam. I don't know if it will help, but I posted the following in a Tesla forum on the issue:

=======================================

This morning I decided to put this problem to the test. I got in my Model 3 and drove around town for a little over an hour. As soon as I got home, I immediately removed the SSD and plugged it into my computer. Sure enough, there were 240 files in the RecentClips folder (240 ÷ 4 cameras = 60 one-minute recordings), occupying about 9.2 GB of memory. I copied those files to my hard drive.

I then put the SSD back in the car. After waiting more than an hour, I went back out to the garage and removed the SSD a second time. Yup: DashCam had DELETED all of the 240 files that were in RecentClips an hour ago! Sheesh!

Deleting those clips make NO sense to me. The software is already programmed to rewrite over the oldest clips in the folder, and thus keep the occupied memory to a pre-determined limit of one hour of video recordings. WHY delete those files, rather than just rewriting over them when another hour of video starts recording the next time you drive the car? That's just… dumb.

I purport that Tesla needs to disable those deletions, and at least for now clarify in the Model 3 Manual that Dashcam ERASES RecentClips entirely if you haven't driven the car for more than an hour. That omission is negligent, a serious oversight in the instructions for using DashCam.

Dashcam ERASES RecentClips entirely if you haven't driven the car for more than an hour.

I feel your pain.

When I first realized this it was quite a shock. I've never been sure WHEN those files are deleted (and I certainly don't know why) but for sure they're deleted before the next time the car is driven.

We had a situation in my town where an officer was shot in the middle of the road. A Tesla had driven by the shooter before the shooting occurred. The driver had no idea of what valuable information he had on the camera. When he went to look for the videos.... nothing remained on the memory chip. My cheap dashcam in another car just fills the drive no matter how big it is, and just overwrites files when there is a new one to write. The drive is ALWAYS full of the most recent clips. What could the advantage possibly be of deleting those clips before the space is needed? Especially in this age where Terabyte drives are so common and cheap?

Reactions: Yanquetino