Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam issues since dashcam viewer update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Weird issue: Dashcam viewer works fine, but I have the little grey dashcam icon w/ an x indicating it can't record. I've tried hard-rebooting the car, I've checked the drive's consistency (`sudo fsck -v`). It's a 500 GB Samsung T5, at least 220 GB free right now and formatted as ext4; I haven't tried reformatting it to FAT32 or exFAT as I believe ext4 is supported and I've had no issues (other than updates corrupting the drive sometimes, but the aforementioned command always gives me an option to fix it).

The fact that the dashcam viewer works tells me the drive is fine, but for some reason can't be written to.

I've driven my car maybe twice since the dashcam viewer update, and don't keep sentry mode on when I'm at home. So I haven't cared too much and figured maybe this issue would fix itself with a software update or something.

The car is on 2020.12.5 right now.

Any idea what's going on? I tried searching for similar issues, but mostly found people with exFAT who discovered support for that got rolled back it sounds like.

Software Build v10.2 2020.12.5 e2179e0650f0 (2020-04-07) - Tesla Owners Online

Did Tesla document this somewhere or was it possible unintended? I feel like I could have probably saved some time and frustration if e.g. the release notes said "oh btw ext4 is no longer supported"
I don't play with the viewer too much so it may not be a new change, but I noticed since since 12.5 and now I'm on 12.6, the viewer bundles videos together by location...so there's not a crap ton of clips to click through...I can just use the slider to scrub through 10+ minutes of footage instead. That may be a reason for the change - not that I understand the reason behind the exclusion of ext4.