Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam / LightShow/ USB Music on a single memory card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had set up my memory card for TeslaCam and USB Music by setting up separate partitions. Now that custom Light Shows are a possibility, I tried adding the LightShow directory to the USB Audio partition. Doing so makes the USB music unavailable. Before I go and repartition the card into THREE partitions, I thought I'd ask first if anyone else has tried this.

The Light Show documentation (GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show) says that you can’t have a TeslaCam folder on the same USB drive. It doesn’t explicitly say you can’t have media files on the USB, but even if that worked, USB media playback is quirky as it is so I wouldn’t try that.

Interestingly, that same documentation says you can’t have firmware or map update files on the USB. I don’t think Tesla has documented any way to update firmware or maps from a USB, though people have requested that for years.

The Light Show documentation (GitHub - teslamotors/light-show: Tesla Light Show) says that you can’t have a TeslaCam folder on the same USB drive. It doesn’t explicitly say you can’t have media files on the USB, but even if that worked, USB media playback is quirky as it is so I wouldn’t try that.
It makes sense that the USB audio is ignored because the partition contains a special folder like TeslaCam or LightShow. Tesla has got to streamline this process to allow these customizations using a single USB device. Having to set up partitions is silly.

Reactions: BigNick
I must say this is quite a bummer for people with new cars and USB charging ports only!
i would have been very upset if my September Model 3 didn’t have data connection as I use the console USB for FLAC music.
I never tried boombox also not the lightshow yet, but I’m glad to have that possibility Without using the USB A port of the glovebox!

UPDATE: I made three FAT32 partitions and everything seems to work now. Remember to add the TeslaCam and LightShow folders on the partitions.

I used a bootable GParted to create the partitions.
That's interesting, seems to work with fat32. Have you tried with exfat? I guess for me I could swap my 256gb nvme for the 1tb collecting dust. It's just a lil overkill to use a Sabrent gen3 nvme on this lol.

Ah, I was wondering why I couldn't find my USB music after the Holiday UI update! And why my Boombox files no longer showed up.

I had TeslaCam and TeslaTrackMode on the TESLADRIVE exFAT partition with Music and Boombox on a second exFAT partition and it always worked fine-ish. Now I've had to create a 3rd partition for the LightShow folder which I made FAT32.

P.S. MiniTool Partition Wizard wouldn't resize the exFAT partitions on my 256GB USB drive but it did let me create a tiny 3rd exFAT partition in the 100MB unallocated space. Unfortunately the car wasn't able to see the Lightshow folder on that partition. The solution was to use Windows to make a 100MB FAT32 3rd partition.

I must say this is quite a bummer for people with new cars and USB charging ports only!
i would have been very upset if my September Model 3 didn’t have data connection as I use the console USB for FLAC music.
I never tried boombox also not the lightshow yet, but I’m glad to have that possibility Without using the USB A port of the glovebox!
When did the data connection disappear in the console USBs? I have a 2021 M3LR.