Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam / Music Solid State drive works in one Model 3, but not another

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled the Samsung SSD drive from my 2018 Model 3, where it is partitioned into 2 drives, it has music on one partition, and the TeslaCam partion on another. It throws an error on the 2021 Model 3, and the car refuses to see it, where it still works fine on the 2018 Model 3. Also, plugging into my computer. I can see both partitions and all files just fine.

Anyone else run into this?

I pulled the Samsung SSD drive from my 2018 Model 3, where it is partitioned into 2 drives, it has music on one partition, and the TeslaCam partion on another. It throws an error on the 2021 Model 3, and the car refuses to see it, where it still works fine on the 2018 Model 3. Also, plugging into my computer. I can see both partitions and all files just fine.

Anyone else run into this?
2021 using 256 gb micro SD and USB adapter no issues with 2 partitions...

Mine worked for a time in my 2021 M3P but recently started giving me the "format drive to use the dash cam" (or something similar). I've got a 1TB with two partitions for music and teslacam. I can only assume it's due to a recent software update.

It appears this is the same issue others are having in this thread:

I just tried USB C to USB C in the center console (not using the USB A port in the glovebox), and no error message, but it also only sees the music partition, and does not functin as a drivecam, though it does see the MPEG's saved in the drivecam folder.

I just purchased a Samsung T7 500GB and have partitioned it for MUSIC and TeslaCam. the music side is formatted for FAT32 and the TeslaCam side is exFAT I originally had the TeslaCam side as FAT32 but the button under the Save on Honk switch kept asking me to format the drive. Now that it is exFAT it seems to like that. I can see both drives as USB and see my music files and play them. I also have a 128GB stick in the glove box that came with the car (2021 M3 LR AWD). The cameras seem to want to record to the glovebox stick. How do I get it to record to the partitioned TeslaCam drive? is that only for Sentry clips? or can I route the Dashcam video to that drive as well? I have created a folder named TeslaCam in the root directory of that partition. Should there be another folder for Senty Clips on that drive? I am still trying to figure out how Tesla does some of what they do so any help from the group is appreciated.