Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little confused by the icons on my Model 3 related to TeslaCam.
Every time I get into the car, it shows a camera with a red dot in it. I take it to mean this is recording. However, I don't recall ever telling the car to do this, and can't find an option to switch it off. When I tap it, it changes to a down-arrow download type icon. What does this mean? I'm using sentry mode to protect the car, but the USB drive keeps filling up with videos of me getting in and out of the car and wandering around the garage!

TeslaCam is the dash cam. While the red dot is displayed, it's recording while driving. Tapping it saves the last 10 minutes of recording to the drive, otherwise it's constantly overwriting.

Sentry mode more is seperate functionality. You can enable or disable them separately.

All of this is in the manual...

Reactions: pjuk and WarpedOne
Ahhhhhh I’ve always wondered what this does. I guess useful if you want to make note of a numpty or incident.
if you long press the camera icon then wait a few seconds it will flash then a few seconds later the red light will vanish. this is what you do before removing the drive/card but from memory once you do that it stays off until you press it tell it to start again so since you are clearly looking to commit a crime and don't want it recorded this is probably your best bet :)

Don't press it instantly after an event otherwise it may miss the event itself. I'm still not convinced its coincidence that it misses the events immediately leading up to pressing the icon.

Dashcam - save recording misses the event?

Also, pressing and holding the icon turns dashcam off, although not easy to see the icon changing state if you have fat fingers. You need to turn off dashcam prior to ejecting the drive to minimise chance of corruption.

This. Same thing happened to me recently. Car got dinged in the supermarket by someone opening their door and I pressed the dash cam and sentry buttons minutes after the incident thinking it would save the footage. Got home and found nothing! Wish I had just left it alone.

This. Same thing happened to me recently. Car got dinged in the supermarket by someone opening their door and I pressed the dash cam and sentry buttons minutes after the incident thinking it would save the footage. Got home and found nothing! Wish I had just left it alone.
Did you have sentry mode active before you left the car? If so it should save everything in one of the folders following a sentry event.

That should probably have ended up in saved clips folder - so long as when pressing dashcam icon you get the green tick. Unfortunately the transition period between dashcam and sentry mode is not obvious and clips from this period could end up anywhere.

What may also have happened, is your drive has gone bad - often not much warning of that other than intermittent occurrences of 0/1k clips (or nothing at all) when trying to view.