TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Teslacam Right-repeater cam not recording and is extra pixelated -sentry mode

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by vv132, Apr 13, 2019.

1. vv132

vv132 Member

Hi,
    Just started using sentry mode, and am finding while parked/sentry mode enabled the right repeater cam does not always record(0 bites on flash). When it does it usually has green on the bottom half or is very pixelated. Does anyone else run into that issue and able to fix it?

When driving it the right repeater usually works but seems more pixelated than the left/front. Anyway to fix?

Thanks!

• Informative x 1
  2. sreams

sreams Member

It might be an issue with drive bandwidth. What drive are you recording to?

3. vv132

vv132 Member

• Like x 1
  4. VQTRVA

VQTRVA Member

One of my 2 side repeaters are always pixellated when @ a standstill & on the move.

5. vv132

vv132 Member

so do you think my drive is not good enough? tried researching a good one before buying?>.

6. GolanB

GolanB Supporting Member

Keep in mind, published speeds are often for reads. This particular unit does 34MB/sec of writes, which is still well beyond the 90MB/minute that is being written to flash so I don't think speed is an issue here.

It would be a relatively easy test to quickly try another formatted USB key and see if you've got different results.

Assume you've tried resetting/shutting down your MCU (the most common method of clearing out possible problems)?

If none of these simple tests work, You may want to open a case with Tesla.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

It's not.

The tesla cam records at 1.5MB/sec

Which is 3-5 times slower than the worst USB2.0 drives out there for write speeds, let alone any decent ones that are 5-10x faster than that.

• Like x 1
  8. FloridaGary

FloridaGary Member

This is not my area of expertise, but I have read, and also seen youtube videos that suggest Micro SD chips made for video cameras produce a better outcome for drives that are always rewriting files on your drive. I used a usb drive/3.1 and still had the pixelating issue particularly when the car was parked.

Check out this video:

9. phtp

phtp Member

I noticed this today too, will keep monitoring and see if it's an issue.

10. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

Same issue with 2019.12

11. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

Is this the latest upgrade now ?

12. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

#12 Axtrader, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    We had another maintenance issue for our steering rack last week at the service center and they told us there were known issues with the right camera repeaters. Our right repeater was replaced even though we had no known issues with it before we brought the car in.

2BE794EA-4D7B-46DB-A897-9D043CE97685.jpeg

13. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

I was informed similarly from service that it’s an issue that they’re aware of and working on. Also was informed that if it was a camera issue there’d also be issues with autopilot, which there are not.

14. thewishmaster

thewishmaster Member

I noticed the same exact thing recently. Seems like driving videos are fine but many / most sentry mode recordings from the right repeater are either oddly pixelated, half green, or totally broken (0 bytes). Sounds like the time for a visit to the service center is approaching.

15. EVDRVN

EVDRVN Member

I have this issue on the driver side cam and my car records any motion it detects regardless of how far away it is from the car.

16. yerEVan

yerEVan Member

Yes.

17. No42

No42 Member

Left repeater camera files are 0 size or very small and pixelated. AP works ok. Not sure if it is ok.
    image.png

• Informative x 1
  18. phtp

phtp Member

mines the opposite with the right repeater.

19. vv132

vv132 Member

hey thanks for the info on this. Do you suggest I contact service center? Did anyone do a reset which fixed the issue?

20. Wknapp0924

Wknapp0924 Member

I have tried three different USBs, all three have the right repeater issue. I will try to test a microSD for my blackvue and report back.