Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslacam Right-repeater cam not recording and is extra pixelated -sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always had the same size files on front, left and right. While reviewing both driving and sentry mode files, I discovered that suddenly, in the middle of the day, my left repeater files started being much smaller, and looking pixellated, with green swipe, bad.

My Saved LEFT repeater files from Sentry Mode continued being smaller today, with block compression artifacts and big green area on the bottom at times.

And suddenly tonight, in the middle of a Sentry mode set, the issue cleared, with all subsequent front, left repeater and right repeater files being the same size, and equally, well, equally .. the same quality.

My Saved LEFT repeater files from Sentry Mode continued being smaller today, with block compression artifacts and big green area on the bottom at times.

And suddenly tonight, in the middle of a Sentry mode set, the issue cleared, with all subsequent front, left repeater and right repeater files being the same size, and equally, well, equally .. the same quality.
hey what firmware version are you on?

got my car 2 days ago, and im also noticing this issue. Right repeater is 0 bytes 99% of the time when the car is parked. when its moving and i save a dashcam video, its mostly fine with some glitches here and there.
left repeater is heavily pixilated when parked. 4-5MB files. again when driving the image seems fine.
Front camera seems to be the only one thats consistently working fine. both for driving, and some rare artefacts when parked.

Reactions: VQTRVA
I suspect there may be a race-condition happening with the file write-out function in recent releases. I found it more stable in earlier releases -- either way, Tesla promises a fix. Has anyone had a chance to test in 2019.16.x?

Same issue happens with the S. From what I heard this is due to a software bug/limitation on the AP2.5 hardware which is used for encoding the streams.

Its as if there is static in the image that builds up over time. Sometimes in combination with only half of the resolution being green.

I suspect there may be a race-condition happening with the file write-out function in recent releases. I found it more stable in earlier releases -- either way, Tesla promises a fix. Has anyone had a chance to test in 2019.16.x?
I still have this issue on 2019.16.3. Now that hw3.0 is out, i'm curious if others with it have the same issue.

I still have this issue on 2019.16.3. Now that hw3.0 is out, i'm curious if others with it have the same issue.

The issue has persisted and actually gotten worse for me on the 2019.16.2 release. I’m starting to wonder whether or not there is a resource constraint (For example a High CPU condition) that is causing this to be intermittent. It may be that both the APE and MCU are involved in the TeslaCam function, and if there is a constraint and it’s on the MCU, it may make no difference for those of us on HW3.

When there is a problem, most of the time it's my right repeater that has 0MB files, but there have been instances where the right is fine and it's the left repeater with 0MB files. Sometimes the right or left repeater file sizes are small and the video is pixelated, other times everything works fine. Never had an issue with the Recent folder so I don't think it's a physical repeater problem for me.

Maybe those who have not had any issues at all can post what their using? We can collect some data in case certain drives perform better than others?