Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam save feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the latest software update allows you to honk and save the video, i think it would be a better idea to modify the software to simply save the video whenever Sentry Mode is enabled, or when you arrive at a destination that you've designated as a safe GPS location. This could eliminate the constant loss of video footage due to not manually pressing the save "button" on the top of the screen before you unplug the storage device (Or if it accidentally gets unplugged.)

Anyone have Elon's twitter "ear"??

I don't see that mentioned anywhere in the manual, under the Dashcam or Security sections.

It mentions it.

Page 73 model 3 owners manual said:
Sentry Clips contains all saved footage from Sentry Mode events, which have been automatically saved when the Alert or Alarm state was triggered. Once footage of a particular event is saved, the latest 10 minutes of video is archived in your flash drive labeled with a unique timestamp.

Also on p. 135 in the Sentry Mode section:
When in the Alert or Alarm state, Sentry Mode saves the most recent ten minutes of footage prior to the event that triggered either state, provided that a properly configured USB flash drive is inserted into one of the USB ports (see USB Flash Drive Requirements for Videos and Recording on page 135).

Note: When the Alarm state is triggered, the most recent six seconds prior to the security event may be sent to Tesla for temporary backup for approximately 72 hours. You can enable or disable the collection of this video at any time by touching "DATA SHARING" in Controls > Safety & Security.

Note: Sentry Mode can operate without a flash drive installed. If your vehicle enters the Alarm state, the security alarm activates and you will receive a notification on your phone. However, video recordings of the event will not be available.

It would appear that I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm not concerned about Sentry mode video. I want to be able to review Dashcam video. Not just the 60 minute loop, but all video. There's no reason why it has to be limited to 60 minutes if you have, say, a 1TB drive. It should be able to sense the capacity of the drive, then adjust itself to expand it's Dashcam video to multiple hours, so that you can review any part of a multiple hour trip, and automatically save each trip as a separate video each time you park the car and enter Sentry mode.

Reactions: Vanteer
I would love an automatic "pause and save" function that enables each time you put the car into park. It would only take a few seconds to pause and save and the drive should be ready to go again by the time sentry mode is enabled and you exit the car. That way if you forget to manually pause the recording you don't lose all your recent and saved clips.

I recently had a very interesting AP glitch while driving in rain/heavy road spray conditions that I thought would be very interesting for "the long tail" style analysis. I use AP for 95% of my daily commute and this was the strangest event of my 14mo of AP usage. I "saved" the clip a few moments after the event occurred but I forgot to pause the USB before ejecting it after getting home. The saved file was glitched out at 594bytes and no real video. I'm sure I'm not the first person that's lost interesting footage of some sort due to not knowing or forgetting that you have to manually pause recording before unplugging your USB recording device.

It would appear that I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm not concerned about Sentry mode video. I want to be able to review Dashcam video. Not just the 60 minute loop, but all video. There's no reason why it has to be limited to 60 minutes if you have, say, a 1TB drive. It should be able to sense the capacity of the drive, then adjust itself to expand it's Dashcam video to multiple hours, so that you can review any part of a multiple hour trip, and automatically save each trip as a separate video each time you park the car and enter Sentry mode.

Sounds like you want a dedicated dash cam then.

The feature isn't there for logging entire days-long road trips- it's to capture significant events you need a record of like accidents, theft, and vandalism.

Hence a 1 hour buffer, about double than the average 1-way drive between home and work, and with multiple ways to save off the most recent 10 minutes permanently, is plenty for the intent of the feature.

Not to mention if you're wanting to record entire days long trips permanently you probably are going to want a much higher resolution camera than the car offers.

Sounds like you want a dedicated dash cam then.

I already have a dedicated Dashcam built right in.

The feature isn't there for logging entire days-long road trips- it's to capture significant events you need a record of like accidents, theft, and vandalism.
The rear camera was there "just for backing up" - but after many requests Tesla added extra features.

Hence a 1 hour buffer, about double than the average 1-way drive between home and work, and with multiple ways to save off the most recent 10 minutes permanently, is plenty for the intent of the feature.

Oh, I didn't realize that YOU were on the design team. My mistake.

Not to mention if you're wanting to record entire days long trips permanently you probably are going to want a much higher resolution camera than the car offers.

The resolution of the camera are just fine as they are. Higher resolution would just waste space.

I already have a dedicated Dashcam built right in.

Not for the purposes you wish to use one, no. Recording many hours of continuous footage is not a feature of the one you've got built in.

I suppose you could force it to kinda do what you want by just beeping the horn every 10 minutes :)

Otherwise you'd be better off (and get vastly better footage anyway) installing a dedicated 4k dashcam with a large storage card.