Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, out of the blue, teslacam stopped working. It was displaying a gray icon. Now it is not showing the dashcam icon at all. I have two usb sticks both formated with FAT32 as per instructions, and they were both working with both sentry mode and dashcam footage until yesterday. Both have plenty of space.

The strange thing is that the sentry mode icon is active, although it does not record any sentry mode video.

Anybody has any idea about how to debug this problem?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pvitale
368D00D3-49DE-4F44-9F64-3CFC6B0ED175.jpeg
I have the same issue. TeslaCam icon disappeared August 15th. Have been through two software updates, multiple reboots and have rotated through three known good USB drives.

I had the exact same problem happened to me few months ago. For me is was a problem with the USB flash drive. It partially failed/corrupted from the repeated writing from the Tesla DashCam. The drive would not allow writing to the drive anymore, but would allow reading of the existing files from the drive.

If you have another USB flash drive, format it and try it in the Tesla 3 and see if DashCam records.

Sentry Mode does 2 things.

1. Save video footage to USB when an event is triggered.
2. Enables the music alarm to come on of speakers when it detects someone trying to do something to the car with a lot force.

If the dashcam is not working, #2 can still be enabled. The option to enable Sentry Mode does not mean it's still recording when USB is not detected/functioning (although Tesla says its being backed up to the cloud, I don't think they've expanded on that yet or given us access to it).

Yesterday, out of the blue, teslacam stopped working. It was displaying a gray icon. Now it is not showing the dashcam icon at all. I have two usb sticks both formated with FAT32 as per instructions, and they were both working with both sentry mode and dashcam footage until yesterday. Both have plenty of space.

The strange thing is that the sentry mode icon is active, although it does not record any sentry mode video.

Anybody has any idea about how to debug this problem?

If TeslaCam shuts off (ie corrupt drive, etc) Sentry Mode can still work acting primarily as a buffed up alarm system for your car. It won’t save any recorded SavedClips to the drive because well it gets them from the dashcam working and if it’s down then nothing gets recorded to begin with, so nothing to transfer to SavedClips.

It does sound like a corrupt flashdrive. Flashdrives go bad. Has happened to a number of people on here. Writing to it is a destructive process. When a section becomes unwritable it moves to the next but eventually all the good sections are used up and without more capacity available it stops writing and kind of locks up. As mentioned the files on it will still be readable but that’s it. This happened to us using a traditional dashcam. Check what the latest date recorded was, for my husband it was like a month previously. Time for a new drive.

If your drive becomes full and stops working, you should see an X on the camera and I think now the car puts up an alert so you know to reformat.

Last edited:
I am having the same issue on my 2020. Dashcam and Sentry working fine for about 2 weeks then stop. Getting 2 error messages from 2 different FAT32 flash drives. BOTH drives worked previously.

32gb drive: Write speed to slow
256gb Samsung flash drive: Not formatted correctly. (obviously wrong)

I'm about to report the bug via voice command.

I am having the same issue on my 2020. Dashcam and Sentry working fine for about 2 weeks then stop. Getting 2 error messages from 2 different FAT32 flash drives. BOTH drives worked previously.

32gb drive: Write speed to slow
256gb Samsung flash drive: Not formatted correctly. (obviously wrong)

I'm about to report the bug via voice command.
What software version are you on?

Use a micro SD card that is designed for video, with an SD card reader. Those flash drives and SD cards not designed for video, always have issues when recording video.

This is simply not true at all.

There's nothing "magic" about video compared to writing other types of data at a given speed.

The car is only writing at 2MB/s, which is massively slower than even cheap flash/SD cards can handle for sustained writes.

The high endurance cards are a good idea for folks running multiple 4k dashcams, as they're writing a TON more data and faster- but not for the 4 720p cams in the Tesla.

You are incorrect. Cards not designed specifically for video, have a high failure rate.

No, they really don't.

Your data set of "1 time, personally" doesn't change the facts.

There's nothing magic about "video" versus other data being stored.

And # of write cycles for a given type of flash is pretty well known.

As is the amount of data Tesla is writing to the card.

After that it's just math.

Even cheap cards of decent size should take years to burn through available write cycles with a typical 8-10 hours of use per day.

And any good (even non "SPECIAL FOR VIDEO") ones much longer than that.

Here's some sample math.

TLC is common used in regular just "good" flash drives like the Samsung ones oft recommended (and which I've used without issue over a year now).

Everything You Need to Know About SLC, MLC, and TLC NAND Flash | My Digital Discount - MyDigitalDiscount.com

3000-5000 write cycles for TLC.

A write cycle is (generally) the entire drive being written to once. So 128GB written for my case.

The car writes 2MB/s total for 4 cameras, so 120MB/m or 7.2 gigs per hour.

Meaning 1 cycle would take ~17.77 hours....

So let's say you run the cameras an average of 9 hours a day...(8 hours on sentry at work, 30 minute drive each way) this means it takes about 2 days to use up one write cycle. Possibly you use it a bit more M-F if you hit traffic but you probably use it less on weekends- it's a decent average to use at least and you can do your own math for your own situation if you wish.

So 2 days per cycle, 3000-5000 cycles rated life.

That's 6000-10,000 days of life for the flash storage.

Which is 16.43 years on the bottom end, and 27.39 years on the top end.

Even if ran cameras 24/7/365 (172.8 gigs a day) the bottom end lifetime of 3000 cycles still takes you just past 6 years of useful life.

Now make it a 256GB key and all those lifetimes double

(there's some rounding errors and such I'm glossing over here to make the discussion simpler, but the basic math doesn't change significantly even if you wanna go into the weeds on that stuff)

Now, really cheap flash drives use even cheaper memory- maybe only 1000 write cycles on those.

That's still over 5 years for 9 hours a day of use, and over 2 years at 24/7 on a 128GB stick. Double for 256.

So if it makes you feel better to buy flash that says "FOR VIDEO" on it- it's your money.

But it makes no sense from a technical perspective for this application.

If you want to set up a system using multiple 4k (or higher) cameras that are putting down a LOT more data a LOT faster than Tesla is- that might well be a decent use case for "special" flash... but that's not what your car is doing.[/QUOTE]