Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslacam viewer slow (30 seconds) with Samsung SSD T7 500 GB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Samsung SSD T7 500 GB drive that I use for the Teslacam (2018 Model 3). When launching the viewer, I have 30 seconds of a blank viewer before I can view any clips. I believe I formatted it with the option provided in the Tesla UI. Previously I had a 128 GB Samsung thumb drive, and I don't remember it being this slow.

Has anyone else experienced this? I believe this is one of the drives that others have recommended and have had good luck ith.

The drive is in a Taptes hub:

This is the drive:

Since it takes 30 seconds before I can view anything, I hardly ever review footage.

I could try it once without the hub. My drive is basically brand new, I'd be surprised if it had many bad sectors. I did schedule a service appointment for it earlier, and they said that I should really stick to one of their tested drives, and they expected that it was slow because of the amount of videos on it. I did try formatting it again from the car, and videos are quicker, but I still think it could be faster. I have hardware 2.5, maybe that is slower than 3.0 for video playback.

I could try it once without the hub. My drive is basically brand new, I'd be surprised if it had many bad sectors. I did schedule a service appointment for it earlier, and they said that I should really stick to one of their tested drives, and they expected that it was slow because of the amount of videos on it. I did try formatting it again from the car, and videos are quicker, but I still think it could be faster. I have hardware 2.5, maybe that is slower than 3.0 for video playback.

That is possible regarding HW 2.5 vs 3.0, but I had HW 3 in my Model S and sometimes playback and scrubbing through the timeline was slow in the Sentry Mode viewer. I had a Samsung EVO 860 SSD with 550 MB/s read/write drive but jumping around the timeline stuttered sometimes. Maybe with the Model 3/Y they give the USB-C and one USB-A port faster bus access because scrubbing the timeline is noticeably faster on the Model Y and it's the same HW 3 as my previous Model S. The Samsung T7 is faster than the EVO 860, but really I wouldn't expect the EVO 860 to be the bottleneck either. I haven't tried the EVO 860 in the Model Y but will test it later today and report back.

Just to follow-up, in the past few days I’ve tested the in-car viewer with a 256GB SanDisk High Endurance microSD with bundled MobileMate USB 3 reader, an old Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, a Samsung T7 1TB SSD, and a SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD.

For the brief testing they all recorded fine, even the included Tesla 128GB flash drive. With in-car playback they were all very similar too but it seemed the SSDs felt more responsive when scrubbing through timelines and resuming playback at random positions.

Maybe it’s the hub. I started using the T7 in our new Model Y and playback of recordings in the viewer is so fast and responsive, noticeably quicker than the provided Tesla 128 GB USB drive.
I have the same problem as the OP. I removed the T7 and plugged the Tesla 128 USB drive and it works so much faster. How did you format your T7? Did you format from the car? I should try again....

I formatted the drive in the car. If I remember correctly, it did NOT create the TESLACAM folder, and I had to add that in when I connected the drive to my laptop.

I'll try it once without the hub.

I wonder if it is possible to upgrade a 2018 M3 from USB-A to USB-C, does anyone know if Tesla offers an upgrade path for that?

Update: without the hub made no difference

Last edited: