Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaCam & WiFi problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried it both ways, but I'm not sure how much difference it made, since mostly the mirrors were folded out when I was testing inside the car but folded in when I got out. I'm now able to connect either way, but the signal is weak. The initial problem was that my network wasn't showing up in the list; I suspect that Tesla is filtering the list by signal strength so that only very strong networks appear. When you manually enter a network that's not in the list, though, you can connect to it. As I said, it took several tries, but I did finally get it to connect. (Some of those tries may have involved typos that prevented connection, but not all of them, so the weak signal probably caused me problems, too.)
Interesting to know that only ‘good enough’ WiFi shows up! And yeah small differences in location can definitely change the signal strength. Another reason to have a repeater or mesh network so that you aren’t locked into the old one signal from one router/access point.

WiFi antennae are in both the passenger and driver's side mirrors. The LTE antenna may be one-side only.

Make sure there's a good line of sight from your WiFi repeater to one of the mirrors for best signal.
Good to know about mirrors, but confused about "line of sight". Our X gets 5 bars communicating with a router that is on the opposite side of the garage wall, and there are garage shelves full of stuff on that same wall. Clearly not line of sight.

For Teslacam, it is a good idea to use memory that is meant to be overwritten over and over, such as memory for a security camera or video recording device. Most flash memory (e.g., your typical thumb drive) is not meant to be constantly overwritten, and, as the memory degrades, the amount of file corruption will steadily increase.

I haven’t had any file corruption issues since I switched to Samsung Pro Endurance memory.

Dumb question -- how did you adapt the memory card to work with USB?

Dumb question -- how did you adapt the memory card to work with USB?
If you are asking about using a high endurance microSDHC memory card in a USB port, I just recently bought a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N8PAHC0/

USB_SDHC_adapter_1.jpg

The microSDHC card slides into the opening of the USB port

USB_SDHC_adapter_2.jpg

You then plug the adapter into the USB port. I haven't tried plugging this into my car yet but I don't expect any problems. It works quite well when connected to my computer. There are many types of USB-microSDHC adapters but this one is one of the smallest and cheapest I've found.

Reactions: Smoofv