Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesladashcam.com?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And does significantly less.

True, though FWIW, if you factor in installation, it's a relatively good deal. That is, this is around $350 US though installation looks to be so simple that anyone could really do it themselves. Here in Seattle, it's about $600 for professional install of the Blackvue, so that seriously increases the price. And although I love to tinker, I'm somewhat hesitant to do that install myself. Particularly on the facelift S where wiring/fuses have changed here and there. I'd love to be wrong about all of that though.

The only thing that makes the Blackvue "difficult" to install is the rear camera, if you don't want the extra functionality anyway (as you're willing to buy a camera that doesn't even have it) you can save even more money and buy a single channel blackvue. It still does more than this camera, and is much cheaper.

Installing the front part of the blackvue took me no time flat, the back part took a bit longer, but even it wasn't that hard.

The only thing that makes the Blackvue "difficult" to install is the rear camera, if you don't want the extra functionality anyway (as you're willing to buy a camera that doesn't even have it) you can save even more money and buy a single channel blackvue. It still does more than this camera, and is much cheaper.

Installing the front part of the blackvue took me no time flat, the back part took a bit longer, but even it wasn't that hard.

Oh cool - that's good to know. I WAS hoping I was wrong about that. Tapping into the wiring in the mirror/mic area supplies constant power?

Good points. I guess that only leaves the aesthetics which might be willing to sacrifice.

I currently run my 9500ix through a switched power lead in back of the mirror connector. Would I also be able to run another a full time power lead to the Blackvue from the same connector?

Last edited:
Oh cool - that's good to know. I WAS hoping I was wrong about that. Tapping into the wiring in the mirror/mic area supplies constant power?
I gather that depends. On my car, constant power existed above the microphone grill in an unused connector. My impression is that not all cars have that.

That said, this camera needs power too, and it takes it from a switched source in the AP camera housing, so that's always an option as well (and STILL gives you more functionality than this camera)

Good points. I guess that only leaves the aesthetics which might be willing to sacrifice.

I currently run my 9500ix through a switched power lead in back of the mirror connector. Would I also be able to run another a full time power lead to the Blackvue from the same connector?
I don't see why not. Neither are huge power draws. Though check above your microphone grill, if you have the unused connector up there, a constant power source enables more options on the blackvue like parking mode, and cloud functions so you can view videos from the comfort of your living room.

I DO like the aesthetics of this camera, but combine the high price, and the lack of features, and it's a hard sell, and honestly, the blackvue can't even be seen from inside the car because it's behind the mirror anyway, so it's hart to put too much priority on that.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
4. There is no GPS capability in this Dashcam. We wanted the product to be an easy DIY solution. The GPS performance behind the rear view mirror is compromised because of the windscreen properties and therefore is not included. If you require this, some other product which may require professional installation and an antenna for the GPS placed elsewhere in the vehicle is needed. This Dashcam has been designed to be the most elegant and simple solution for the Tesla Model S.
.View attachment 177739

They should ADD the GPS using the separate mini receiver such is found with the Blackvue and many others. It is so small and discrete there is no excuse I don't think. I agree; no speed or location by the device, at that price is no value.

green1,

It may be a while for the next generation of this camera with comparable features to come out. You have me leaning toward getting the dual channel version so I would at least have the option, when I get bold and/or bored to install the more difficult rear camera.

Thanks for the input.

Let's put this one to bed...
Processing of dragon electronics (shenzhen) co., LTD

If any current owners of the so called 'TeslaDashCam' could share the App details (name of App)
with us that would be appreciated. The product was easy to install but, the current challenge is getting the video out of the device and onto my iPhone. Sure, we could eject the memcard and read it on our computer manually but, I'd prefer viewing via the built-in wifi.

Hi, Pages 5-7 of the Installation Guide discuss the access app that you can download from Apple's iTunes store. The description can be found here: Lercenker on the App Store .I have not purchased the camera but I did get a copy of the manual. It looked wonderful. Unfortunately today I was unable to log into their site. Are they still in business? Do you like the camera?

Well, I've just ordered one of these dash cams from AliExpress (thank you Mr Whitmarsh). It will be interesting... I don't feel the need for all the bells and whistles and GPS and, and who knows what, that the Blackvue cameras bring to the table. And especially the tearing into my Tesla to install the cameras. The TeslaDashCam seems to be a lovely compromise. And I can install it myself. Oh Wow!

Let's put this one to bed...
Processing of dragon electronics (shenzhen) co., LTD

If any current owners of the so called 'TeslaDashCam' could share the App details (name of App)
with us that would be appreciated. The product was easy to install but, the current challenge is getting the video out of the device and onto my iPhone. Sure, we could eject the memcard and read it on our computer manually but, I'd prefer viewing via the built-in wifi.

Looks like the conversion from Yuan to dollar is around $372.83 plus whatever they charge for shipping. Has anyone been brave enough to order this?