Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesladashcam.com?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect that some of the Australian members here have more experience with their product.

Their product is also mentionned in the Belgium/Netherlands part. There I had read that it will probably not fit a classic. Love the OEM look of the dashcam

The tesladashcam.com site is in English; what's the problem? I have asked them some questions that are not covered by their FAQs:

1. Have Tesla anything to say about their warranty if one installs this?

2. Have Tesla's technicians said anything? I have heard that they usually disconnect dash-cams when a car goes for service because they don't want what they do to be recorded and it might pick up something that is still secret.

3. What is the procedure if you have an incident and want to make sure that you capture the scene immediately before and after? Many cams do that by means of a G-sensor or a button.

4. Does the camera record position and speed? I don't see them in the video. I think they're essential.

5. What is the definition like at night? Your video shows only daytime.

The tesladashcam.com site is in English; what's the problem? I have asked them some questions that are not covered by their FAQs:

1. Have Tesla anything to say about their warranty if one installs this?

2. Have Tesla's technicians said anything? I have heard that they usually disconnect dash-cams when a car goes for service because they don't want what they do to be recorded and it might pick up something that is still secret.

3. What is the procedure if you have an incident and want to make sure that you capture the scene immediately before and after? Many cams do that by means of a G-sensor or a button.

4. Does the camera record position and speed? I don't see them in the video. I think they're essential.

5. What is the definition like at night? Your video shows only daytime.

Answers to these questions:

1. Tesla have never mentioned any issues with warranty to us or any of our customers that we are aware of. It should have no impact. It's like connecting a device to one of the USB ports. I disagree with that.

2. It would not be easy to disconnect or disable this camera unless the service agent knew how to operate it but nothing stops them from covering it up.

3. The Dashcam has a g-sensor and the sensitivity of this can be adjusted via the app. You can easily remove the storage card to guarantee retaining the footage or you can connect using your smartphone via wifi and download the footage. The camera can record up to 33 hours of footage before being overwritten.

4. There is no GPS capability in this Dashcam. We wanted the product to be an easy DIY solution. The GPS performance behind the rear view mirror is compromised because of the windscreen properties and therefore is not included. If you require this, some other product which may require professional installation and an antenna for the GPS placed elsewhere in the vehicle is needed. This Dashcam has been designed to be the most elegant and simple solution for the Tesla Model S.

5. The camera features night vision and the quality is excellent. A screen grab is attached.

Last, the price quoted on the website is in Australian dollars; it's about 325 USD.
tesladashcam night IMG_3893.jpg

Reactions: takeshiken
This looks like an excellent option, I love the factory look of it.
Unfortunately, for the price, competing dash cams offer a lot more functionality. (this is roughly the same cost as a 2 channel Blackvue unit)
If this camera could add the extra features for the price, it would be hands down the best option for a Tesla.

Features I'd want to see:
- 2 channel (a large percentage of collisions are rear-end)
- Parking mode
- GPS, I know this is tricky on a Tesla, but it is doable. This one is less important than the other 2, but would still be nice.

Personally I think it's way overpriced for what it is. About the only thing going for it is the form factor. Since wife didn't even notice the Blackvue I installed behind her mirror so I'll stick with it until there is an absolute reason to switch (like killer feature).