Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaDrive for Sentry and music. What about video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max_G

Everything needs to be defined :)
Sep 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
I bought a Samsung Portable SSD T7 500GB to replace the 128GB stick that came with my new M3LR, to a) have more space for sentry and also put some music on it.

I read on this forum on how to set-up other media, format and name it. That process is clear.
Here what the 128GB stick looks like:
1635409979762.png

A quick recap:
create a partition for sentry naming the partition TESLADRIVE and create a subfolder called TeslaCam
create a partition for music and name it MUSIC
Allocate to each the space you want for it.

But what about videos?
Can the interface play back videos?
And if so, where do I need to store these on the SSD?
Do I have to create a third partition, maybe called VIDEOS?

Any hints appreciated.

I bought a Samsung Portable SSD T7 500GB to replace the 128GB stick that came with my new M3LR, to a) have more space for sentry and also put some music on it.

I read on this forum on how to set-up other media, format and name it. That process is clear.
Here what the 128GB stick looks like:
View attachment 726598

A quick recap:
create a partition for sentry naming the partition TESLADRIVE and create a subfolder called TeslaCam
create a partition for music and name it MUSIC
Allocate to each the space you want for it.

But what about videos?
Can the interface play back videos?
And if so, where do I need to store these on the SSD?
Do I have to create a third partition, maybe called VIDEOS?

Any hints appreciated.

No, playing videos is not currently supported directly through the system (in so far as your own videos). You can do netflix, disney+, youtube, but no real way to play your own videos that I am aware of.

Reactions: Max_G
Tesla support is actually saying that SSD drives are not supported... only USB sticks, which is really weird. Sometimes I feel like Tesla hires kids from university to develop these things and they literally feel like garage projects with 1 developer and minimal QA and testing.. forget about extra features.

Tesla support is actually saying that SSD drives are not supported... only USB sticks, which is really weird. Sometimes I feel like Tesla hires kids from university to develop these things and they literally feel like garage projects with 1 developer and minimal QA and testing.. forget about extra features.
Technically support is correct. Once you put a SSD in a carrier/adapter, it turns in to a USB device, not a SSD Drive. I wouldn't say the car supports 5.25 inch 7,400 RPM hard drives would I, yet technically I can put an adapter on a hard drive and have it work.

Reactions: jjrandorin