Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi and apparent insomnia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the fob anywhere near the car, as in a room adjacent to, above, or below the garage? I had to keep remembering to use my shielded pouch when visiting my son and sleeping over the garage my X was in. Even with the fob motionless during the night the car was waking up all the time and I'd even get the TeslaFi unlocked warning email.

Once the car is asleep, TeslaFi in particular should not bother it. All the TeslaFi sleep settings are just to allow it to start sleeping and have no effect once the car is asleep. Since your car is sleeping occasionally, something else is waking it up.

• Helpful
Reactions: gogogoducks
Hmm, I think the other things that possibly affect sleeps is the access from other apps, even with a wrong token or password. Try deleting the stats app. Have you used other apps or services before, and just changing the password? Some web services keep polling with wrong token (such as TeslaLog) until you actually remove your account.
Really appreciate your help! Just an update, last night I changed one factor only, which is changing the Nighttime Sleep Mode duration to 9PM to 5AM instead of 12AM to 12AM. The result is - two sleeps overnight (one lasted 50min and one lasted 4hr 47min) and one sleep during daytime at work (7hr 54min). At this point, I'm really not sure why my car was able to stay asleep for so long during the daytime today. I will not change anything and let it go for several days and see how it goes. If it's still can stay asleep for most of the time, I will sure change the password to get a new token and delete the other app.

Last edited:
Really appreciate your help! Just an update, last night I changed one factor only, which is changing the Nighttime Sleep Mode duration to 9PM to 5AM instead of 12AM to 12AM. The result is - two sleeps overnight (one lasted 50min and one lasted 4hr 47min) and one sleep during daytime at work (7hr 54min). At this point, I'm really not sure why my car was able to stay asleep for so long during the daytime today. I will not change anything and let it go for several days and see how it goes. If it's still can stay asleep for most of the time, I will sure change the password to get a new token and delete the other app.
I think your car is still a short sleeper.

Changing the night time sleep mode settings seemed to have some good effect.

Do you have 24h running dashcam or fridge or any 12V appliances? If 12V battery is drained, the car will wake up and charge 12V for a few hours.

• Helpful
Reactions: gogogoducks
I think your car is still a short sleeper.

Changing the night time sleep mode settings seemed to have some good effect.

Do you have 24h running dashcam or fridge or any 12V appliances? If 12V battery is drained, the car will wake up and charge 12V for a few hours.
No, I don't have anything plugged in either USB ports or 12V outlet. We have 90+ degrees days lately. But I've had overheat protection set to off already.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Was the fob anywhere near the car, as in a room adjacent to, above, or below the garage? I had to keep remembering to use my shielded pouch when visiting my son and sleeping over the garage my X was in. Even with the fob motionless during the night the car was waking up all the time and I'd even get the TeslaFi unlocked warning email.

Once the car is asleep, TeslaFi in particular should not bother it. All the TeslaFi sleep settings are just to allow it to start sleeping and have no effect once the car is asleep. Since your car is sleeping occasionally, something else is waking it up.
With Model 3, I don't have a key fob. I use my phone as the key. I certainly hope that my phone in the house is not keeping my car in the garage awake. The only thing I can think of is both my phone and car are on the same Wi-Fi network at home. But even that shouldn't be the cause either.

With Model 3, I don't have a key fob. I use my phone as the key. I certainly hope that my phone in the house is not keeping my car in the garage awake. The only thing I can think of is both my phone and car are on the same Wi-Fi network at home. But even that shouldn't be the cause either.
The phone is your key, it certainly can keep the car awake if close, my friend's phone or car used to go to sleep eventually locking him out until a phone restart

Wow!! That's what I didn't think about, as I only had S and now X. With 3's phone as a key, it uses Bluetooth technology to communicate with the car. Definitely if your phone is close to your car, the car will never sleep.

That said, please try to disable Bluetooth after you come back home. If the car sleeps for a long time, problem solved. Don't forget to bring turn Bluetooth back on when you're ready to leave.

Here was my Model 3 experience last week as we were out of town. I turned off TeslaFi data logging, but I had my local script checking car status (just using the API call listAllVehicles) every 15 seconds without waking up the car. This gave me an accurate picture of when the car was sleeping vs. not sleeping. I was on Software version 2018.32.2 3817fdd, which I still am on today (software update scheduled tonight). My conclusion is that Tesla likely monitors the car periodically...

upload_2018-9-7_9-47-47.png