Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi and apparent insomnia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has a case open with Engineering on my issue. will update if they find anything.

I was going to say you need to contact support and let them monitor what's up. I started this thread when I thought it was Teslafi causing insomnia but then my car just started eventually sleeping. I figured she got so tired she just finally found peace and slept. Of course that is not what happened this is my rationale in my head because I never conclusively found out. Maybe it was a software update. Or see my post #10 in this thread on polling delay. But she started sleeping and I discontinued monitoring the thread and never changed the Teslafi settings since it started working.

Tesla has a case open with Engineering on my issue. will update if they find anything.
So the final question, is your car seems to sleep without TeslaFi? I mean, you can set to Deep Sleep Mode 24 hours and delete token just to make sure. And wait for a few hours (at least two) and come back to your car and open the driver's door first. Watch the dash display - if it shows Tesla Logo the car was sleeping and insomnia was caused by TeslaFi polling. It's not the software glitch though. It's just that TeslaFi needs to poll the car continuously, and most cars can sleep with TeslaFi active. But yours may not be so. It is a bigger issue if your car still doesn't sleep even WITHOUT TeslaFi.

I had this insomnia problem with TeslaFi too and fixed it by checking all previous suggestions- then redrawing my home geofence in settings then driving outside it for a while and driving back into the fence. Car sleeps like a champ now.

Just an FYI, Tesla Engineering followed up. They advised that the reason that my car would not sleep was due to the TeslaFi API calls, they also stated that this was the cause of draining two 12v batteries in under a week. The stated any further battery issues I would have to cover the price of the new battery. I emailed John with TeslaFi as I had an open case with him also. Maybe something has changed with the newer cars where any API call wakes the car. My car is in the 230+k build number. I have pulled the API KEY and changed the password on my Tesla account, once the battery is replaced again we will see if I get another battery warning.

Just an FYI, Tesla Engineering followed up. They advised that the reason that my car would not sleep was due to the TeslaFi API calls, they also stated that this was the cause of draining two 12v batteries in under a week. The stated any further battery issues I would have to cover the price of the new battery. I emailed John with TeslaFi as I had an open case with him also. Maybe something has changed with the newer cars where any API call wakes the car. My car is in the 230+k build number. I have pulled the API KEY and changed the password on my Tesla account, once the battery is replaced again we will see if I get another battery warning.
I am in the same VIN range and still have many failed sleep attempts outside deep sleep hours. I have not had drained batteries though - this is interesting

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I'm fairly convinced that my car has trouble going to sleep when it is in a weak or spotty cell service area. I have virtually no cell service at work and my car will go all day without sleeping, but when I park in town as a store it will fall asleep within an hour. My fob is not near the car at work and I'm not checking the Tesla app, so lack of cell signal is my only working theory at the moment.

• Informative
I haven't had any issues with my car sleeping (several months now) since removing the API key. No more battery low events ether. My Car is always on WIFI at home. I even went as far as running packet captures on the WIFI segment of the car traffic to the mothership. It's my understanding that the IP stack stays awake even after the other main systems have gone to sleep. I assume this is for the APP to be able to wake up the car if needed.

This is concerning. I let my TeslaFi trial close because I was concerned about sleep. BUT I'm about to go on trip where I really want to track efficiency and sleep. (My first time to a place w/ only destination chargers, no SuperChargers to/from, and my highest point of range anxiety so far :) ). Anyone else have supporting/dissenting info here? I have a Model 3 but presumably would be very similar behavior.

Thanks!

I've had my Model 3 for a little over 2 weeks. I've decided to keep TeslaFi after the 2 week trial despite the drain it causes. The past couple days I have been experimenting with manually turning off data collection in TeslaFi when I know I will not be driving the car, as well as enabling deep sleep during the night (midnight-6am).

Aside from TeslaFi, I run an every-30 minute-API check on lookupAllVehicles (which shouldn't wake up the car) to see the state of the car, and if not sleeping I gather all data just like TeslaFi would. During the night, I have seen my car wake up and go online for about an hour (best I can tell when I only check every 30 minutes) 1-2 times per night. Presumably, nothing else is prompting it to wake up, but I can live with this behavior. This results in losing about 2-4 miles of range per night.

Here is an example of what my car does overnight (for the past 15 hours). I highlighted one hiccup in my data gathering process where all the API calls didn't work. This whole time the car was parked in a garage....

upload_2018-7-17_6-5-48.png

I have the same issue at night, but with a different rythm. The car wakes up ever hour for just under 15 minutes and this creates some vampire drain overnight. But in the morning when I get to the car for my commute, the car is fast asleep and it takes a number of attemps for the Summon to connect....

Maybe my Lady MX has a nightlife...

• Funny
Reactions: BlueOrNotFor3
Here is an example of what my car does overnight (for the past 15 hours). I highlighted one hiccup in my data gathering process where all the API calls didn't work. This whole time the car was parked in a garage....

View attachment 317496
Just from my curiosity, can you stop your monitoring process and let TeslaFi log the whole night, with TeslaFi Sleep mode on and TeslaFi night/deep sleep mode off?

Just from my curiosity, can you stop your monitoring process and let TeslaFi log the whole night, with TeslaFi Sleep mode on and TeslaFi night/deep sleep mode off?

I currently have deep sleep mode enabled from 11pm - 8am. Also, for the past few days when I get home and know I'm not going anywhere the rest of the day I manually turn logging off on TeslaFi (and resume it in the morning about 10-15 minutes before I go somewhere). I have never tried sleep mode (I'm not sure if I can disable cabin overheat protection in the Model 3, which is their first requirement) and hence, never tried nighttime sleep mode.

Before I developed my script (which I started using on July 6), I had TeslaFi running free and wild. Below is a history of the times I had my car parked overnight and not charging, along with the min/max of Odometer, Battery Range, and Battery % Full, all according to the logs from TeslaFi...

upload_2018-7-18_13-45-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-18_13-39-22.png
    upload_2018-7-18_13-39-22.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 37
I currently have deep sleep mode enabled from 11pm - 8am. Also, for the past few days when I get home and know I'm not going anywhere the rest of the day I manually turn logging off on TeslaFi (and resume it in the morning about 10-15 minutes before I go somewhere). I have never tried sleep mode (I'm not sure if I can disable cabin overheat protection in the Model 3, which is their first requirement) and hence, never tried nighttime sleep mode.

Before I developed my script (which I started using on July 6), I had TeslaFi running free and wild. Below is a history of the times I had my car parked overnight and not charging, along with the min/max of Odometer, Battery Range, and Battery % Full, all according to the logs from TeslaFi...

View attachment 317814
I haven't seen this format of TeslaFi logs. Can you just log in and choose date and take one screenshot, and click on one record (if sleeping, that one, if not sleeping, that idle one). I would like to see why it's not sleeping after 15 or 20 minutes.

Most people who says TeslaFi prevents sleeping, doesn't use energy saving on and always connected off.

Screenshot_20180721-112405.png
Screenshot_20180721-112405.png
I haven't seen this format of TeslaFi logs. Can you just log in and choose date and take one screenshot, and click on one record (if sleeping, that one, if not sleeping, that idle one). I would like to see why it's not sleeping after 15 or 20 minutes.

Most people who says TeslaFi prevents sleeping, doesn't use energy saving on and always connected off.

Here you go... I'm at a hotel, first night (first picture) it slept from midnight to 2am. It has been awake the whole time since. Next two pictures are night 2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180721-112505.png
    Screenshot_20180721-112505.png
    599.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20180721-112525.png
    Screenshot_20180721-112525.png
    592.7 KB · Views: 32
Seems to be like this ever since I connected to TeslaFI, I have never seen the car sleep per the TeslaFI logs. So i don't know if the car is truly never sleeping or if TeslaFi just isn't capturing/displaying it correctly. At this point i probably going to give up and just let it burn KWH at rest. If i have to go to the airport ill just hard power down the car.
Why not just stop using TeslaFi and change your password so it can’t keep connecting to the car?

Why not just stop using TeslaFi and change your password so it can’t keep connecting to the car?

That’s a exactly what I did. With Telafi, it was draining my battery every day (15 miles +) while in the garage. I tried all the set up they recommended. No change. Then I changed MyTesla account password and unsubscribed from Teslafi. Problem solved :)