Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi and apparent insomnia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run teslafi all the time and my x always sleep like a baby. The only time the car will cycle between sleep and online is when I forget to turn off “Cabin Overheat Protection”. When this happen, the car will typically sleep for one hour and wake up for about 15 mins.

View attachment 318754 View attachment 318754

Here you go... I'm at a hotel, first night (first picture) it slept from midnight to 2am. It has been awake the whole time since. Next two pictures are night 2
Ok, thanks for the data. It seems after waking up, it doesn't seem to try to sleep. The car should start "try to sleep cycle" after a set period, by default 30 minutes. I guess that's because you checked one or two check boxes for the "try to sleep requirements"? Could you check and let me know the settings? In my experience, you need to uncheck both check boxes to allow the car to sleep.
Here's my sleep settings.
Screenshot_20180723-001101.png

That’s a exactly what I did. With Telafi, it was draining my battery every day (15 miles +) while in the garage. I tried all the set up they recommended. No change. Then I changed MyTesla account password and unsubscribed from Teslafi. Problem solved :)
When I am on prolonged trips away from the car (like at the airport) I just delete the token and then get a new token when I return. This decreased my phantom drain to around 2 miles a day or less. Hope this helps. Normally my X sleeps half the time when parked.

Ok, thanks for the data. It seems after waking up, it doesn't seem to try to sleep. The car should start "try to sleep cycle" after a set period, by default 30 minutes. I guess that's because you checked one or two check boxes for the "try to sleep requirements"? Could you check and let me know the settings? In my experience, you need to uncheck both check boxes to allow the car to sleep.
View attachment 318969

Thanks! I had not checked this Sleep Mode before thinking it was an always-sleeping option. After I enabled this, then the car started sleeping shortly afterwards. I'll play around with this to see how well it performs. I see it still checking every minute to report it is still asleep, so hopefully if I start driving/charging, it will recognize that and resume the normal monitoring.

upload_2018-7-23_12-52-38.png

Reactions: hiroshiy
My MX stills seems to wake up every hour for a few minutes. I asked my SC if the car was sleeping through the night, which he confirmed! This is not consistent with the data on Teslafi.

Could it be that the teslafi app misreads some of the data coming from the car?

Could you check your try to sleep settings below?

View attachment 318969

None of the above...

I see similar behavior on my Model 3 today. I turned off my web checking process last night so only TeslaFi is monitoring my car. I removed the drive to work section, but the rest of the day is mixed with portions of sleep (~2 hours) and portions of idle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180726-113713-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20180726-113713-01.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 59
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I run teslafi all the time and my x always sleep like a baby. The only time the car will cycle between sleep and online is when I forget to turn off “Cabin Overheat Protection”. When this happen, the car will typically sleep for one hour and wake up for about 15 mins.
Do you mind sharing your sleep settings? I was on vacation for 10 days and parked the car in my garage with “Cabin Overheat Protection” disabled. However, I lost 100+ miles range during the 10 day period! Following are my settings (They are all default numbers):

Sleep Mode:
Time To Try Sleeping: 15
Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep: 30
Try to Sleep Requirements:
Both boxes are unchecked.

Nighttime Sleep Mode:
Start Sleeping At: 12AM
End Sleeping At: 12AM

Deep Sleep Mode:
Disabled

Polling Time:
Polling Time While Idle: 1

Do you mind sharing your sleep settings? I was on vacation for 10 days and parked the car in my garage with “Cabin Overheat Protection” disabled. However, I lost 100+ miles range during the 10 day period! Following are my settings (They are all default numbers):

Sleep Mode:
Time To Try Sleeping: 15
Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep: 30
Try to Sleep Requirements:
Both boxes are unchecked.

Nighttime Sleep Mode:
Start Sleeping At: 12AM
End Sleeping At: 12AM

Deep Sleep Mode:
Disabled

Polling Time:
Polling Time While Idle: 1
Hmm, it should work with those settings. Did you turn on TeslaFi Sleep Mode as in the post below?

Hmm, it should work with those settings. Did you turn on TeslaFi Sleep Mode as in the post below?
Yes, the sleep mode enabled box was checked. Through out those 10 days, it did go to sleep from time to time. But the car wouldn't stay sleep for long and would wake up again. So it had some short sleeps. I did remove Tesla app widget. I use another app Stats. But based on my experience, the Stats app doesn't wake up the car. If the car is asleep, the app would say there's an error to connect and won't wake up the car.

Last edited:
Yes, the sleep mode enabled box was checked. Through out those 10 days, it did go to sleep from time to time. But the car wouldn't stay sleep for long and would wake up again. So it had some short sleeps. I did remove Tesla app widget. I use another app Stats. But based on my experience, the Stats app doesn't wake up the car. If the car is asleep, the app would say there's an error to connect and won't wake up the car.
Hmm, I think the other things that possibly affect sleeps is the access from other apps, even with a wrong token or password. Try deleting the stats app. Have you used other apps or services before, and just changing the password? Some web services keep polling with wrong token (such as TeslaLog) until you actually remove your account.

• Helpful
Reactions: gogogoducks