Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi and other AWS and GCP clients currently blocked access to Tesla API

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe not moving a UK centric thread (the other one that just got moved) to a Model Y forum is not the best place for things? The thread had pretty much been cutoff for the people who first created it - not many UK persons are ever likely to wander into a Model Y forum.
It's in Tesla: Company, Tech, & Related > Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App forum now, not the Model Y forum. Maybe you were reading it while the half dozen duplicate threads were still being merged.

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Is TeslaFi a hindrance or asset to Tesla?

As a potential buyer, I’ve viewed such things as part of Tesla’s superior ecosystem. I can see why Tesla would want to control the things in this space, but the pseudo-Ombudsman role is important and something that has distinguished Tesla. Musk is much more accessible than most CEO’s and I hope Tesla champions transparency in the future.

Maybe not moving a UK centric thread (the other one that just got moved) to a Model Y forum is not the best place for things? The thread had pretty much been cutoff for the people who first created it - not many UK persons are ever likely to wander into a Model Y forum.

Yeah, when someone in the MS forum told me there were "multiple threads" on this I couldn't find one anywhere. Though the UK forums were the origin, it's obviously a global problem that would best be placed in the "Software: Firmware Updates, Features, Tesla App" forum which isn't vehicle or location specific. It's the first place I looked. I'm no moderator though. :)
As @MorrisonHiker stated, I did move it to the location where it resides now (Software), but the merge process is a bit labor intensive and it took a while to complete the full merge. You were likely both seeing it prior to the time I finished working on it. Again, sorry for any inconvenience.

My TeslaMate is hosted on AWS (under a Lightsail, not EC2), and its working fine right now.

It's in the west region.

edit: I lied. It just looks like theres been activity on the states page, but it says this:

Last state change
2020-09-10 08:21:28

I drove the car a bit today, so that's wrong.

Confirmed that my free GCP tier teslamate server is was no longer connecting.
I've decided to move it back to my RPI 4 after backing up the database.
It's working great now.
I guess we'll just have to see how Tesla proceeds from here.
Sucks I lost two days of data but oh well!

Is TeslaFi a hindrance or asset to Tesla?

As a potential buyer, I’ve viewed such things as part of Tesla’s superior ecosystem. I can see why Tesla would want to control the things in this space, but the pseudo-Ombudsman role is important and something that has distinguished Tesla. Musk is much more accessible than most CEO’s and I hope Tesla champions transparency in the future.

Peoples opinions might be all over the map on this, but I believe Teslafi / Stats etc are a hindrance for Tesla, but for specific reasons.

The remote control and such features are fine, and actually an asset. Whats a hindrance is these services presenting "battery Degredation" and users who dont understand where these services are extrapolating these numbers from getting it suck in their heads that "my battery sucks, teslafi says...."

Then, they make service appointments, are told "your battery is fine" and end up mad and confused, all because they are reading a bunch of data that they dont quite know how to examine, and which is actually extrapolations.

If those services did not present "battery degredation" as such, I would believe they would be a non issue to even asset, but because they do, those reports / features actually cost tesla "manhours" canceling appointments, or explaining to users "this is expected", and users not believing them, so getting soured on the experience (and some deciding to sell / never buy again).

So, while I think "data = good" it would be better if tesla itself just recognized that stuff like this is going to exist, and provide their own separate app that lists this stuff that people could sign up for and receive if they wanted to. No extrapolation by third parties, etc... just information people could peruse on their own car, offiically, from tesla, even if it was a separate app to not clutter up the main one.

Shrug.. just an opinion, and likely not a popular one, but I put those services strictly in the hindrance category as far as tesla would be concerned... .although i completely understand why people want to see the data.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Peoples opinions might be all over the map on this, but I believe Teslafi / Stats etc are a hindrance for Tesla, but for specific reasons.

The remote control and such features are fine, and actually an asset. Whats a hindrance is these services presenting "battery Degredation" and users who dont understand where these services are extrapolating these numbers from getting it suck in their heads that "my battery sucks, teslafi says...."

Then, they make service appointments, are told "your battery is fine" and end up mad and confused, all because they are reading a bunch of data that they dont quite know how to examine, and which is actually extrapolations.

If those services did not present "battery degredation" as such, I would believe they would be a non issue to even asset, but because they do, those reports / features actually cost tesla "manhours" canceling appointments, or explaining to users "this is expected", and users not believing them, so getting soured on the experience (and some deciding to sell / never buy again).

So, while I think "data = good" it would be better if tesla itself just recognized that stuff like this is going to exist, and provide their own separate app that lists this stuff that people could sign up for and receive if they wanted to. No extrapolation by third parties, etc... just information people could peruse on their own car, offiically, from tesla, even if it was a separate app to not clutter up the main one.

Shrug.. just an opinion, and likely not a popular one, but I put those services strictly in the hindrance category as far as tesla would be concerned... .although i completely understand why people want to see the data.

These sites (at least TeslaFi, that's the only one I've used) do not extrapolate data or forecast battery degradation, nor do they draw explicit conclusions that there is a problem with the battery. It simply logs historical data and renders reports on it, straight from the car itself. It does correleate that data with other events and data that an individual user would not have access to or think to check, such as software versions and other cars of similar vintage and mileage. This lets the owner draw his or her own conclusions about whether they think something is out of the ordinary.

Everyone (should) know that batteries degrade over time, and in general the curve flattens out after the first year. However, there have already been cases where software updates have reduced range or capacity via voltage. This shows up pretty obviously when you're constantly logging the car's stats.

There are a few chicken littles out there that will think the sky/battery capacity is falling, but a lot of other people just want to know what their car is doing. I learned just how different the cold months are than the warm months, what a headwind can do to your range, and how to better plan long trips by knowing what the car will do.

There should be little need for people to be watchdogs of their own car's health, but when you have OTA updates, you need to be able to defend yourself with hard data and not "uhh, I don't think it used to be like this" if the car starts behaving differently after installation. This helps keep Tesla honest, as they'll have a much harder time gaslighting the owner by saying "looks normal to me" when your car is measurably different from others.