Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds too simple.
Now confuse me a bit more....Should I use the existing SSID - that my main computer uses, or should I give it its own SSID. Will the speed of traffic be any different? Is it worth the effort? and part 2...how do I set up a dedicated wifi network? who do I ask? what are the magic words in a search?
Well that's more of a network question than a Tesla question but you would set up a separate wifi network in your router or whatever you use at home to connect to the internet with your provider. But no you don't need it, just use your existing SSID and keep it simple.

Well that's more of a network question than a Tesla question but you would set up a separate wifi network in your router or whatever you use at home to connect to the internet with your provider. But no you don't need it, just use your existing SSID and keep it simple.
I like that answer - you don't need it. and KISS
Thanks. [I tend to over engineer things in the wee hours of the morning]

I like that answer - you don't need it. and KISS
Thanks. [I tend to over engineer things in the wee hours of the morning]
I totally understand :). The best way to see if you have sufficient range in your garage is to take your phone near the spot where you'll be parking and see if it can see and connect to your network from that location. If not you might need a range extender.

I think you're over-thinking this. There's no need to do anything different or set up a dedicated wi-fi network. Just connect your car to your regular SSID and it will be fine. It's not like the car is pulling down (or sending) huge amount of data when sitting in your garage... even the firmware updates aren't all that big and take a short time to download.

I think you're over-thinking this. There's no need to do anything different or set up a dedicated wi-fi network. Just connect your car to your regular SSID and it will be fine. It's not like the car is pulling down (or sending) huge amount of data when sitting in your garage... even the firmware updates aren't all that big and take a short time to download.
You hit it on the head...I was indeed overthinking it. Back to the KISS principle. [keep it short and sweet - or sumptin like that]

I am still confused on two charging data points. I notice that kilowatts used is always greater than kilowatts added. How can you continually use more kilowatts than are added?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding "used" and "added". Can anyone provide clarity on these two data points?

I am still confused on two charging data points. I notice that kilowatts used is always greater than kilowatts added. How can you continually use more kilowatts than are added?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding "used" and "added". Can anyone provide clarity on these two data points?

People are more educated and experienced in this subject can probably elaborate more, but there's always going to be some efficiency loss getting the power from the wall into the vehicle. A 15a 110v will likely have a lower efficiency (70-80%) whereas a 50a 240v will be much higher (92-94%). I imagine this is the case for any electric vehicle or large appliance, and maybe even smaller and medium appliances.

People are more educated and experienced in this subject can probably elaborate more, but there's always going to be some efficiency loss getting the power from the wall into the vehicle. A 15a 110v will likely have a lower efficiency (70-80%) whereas a 50a 240v will be much higher (92-94%). I imagine this is the case for any electric vehicle or large appliance, and maybe even smaller and medium appliances.
If the definition of kilowatts used is an estimation of kilowatts being charged by the electric provider, then it makes sense to me. If it is something else perhaps James or someone could chime in.

We had a little downtown today for about 15 minutes. I ran an unscheduled backup and the data logger did not like fighting the backup for resources.

Sometime over the next few days I'll need to take things offline for hopefully less than an hour to move the database to a larger partition. I will post here when I start and will also include more details about trying to gracefully handle the state changes that might occur during the downtime.

In the meantime I've taken the signup link off the homepage. It should be backup sometime next week.

Reactions: hybridbear
If the definition of kilowatts used is an estimation of kilowatts being charged by the electric provider, then it makes sense to me. If it is something else perhaps James or someone could chime in.
It's the energy used by the charger as reported by the API. It is a calculation so yes, an estimation since the API does not explicitly provide a total number like it does energy added to the battery. As I said it appears to be very close but I still have work to do.....probably always have some work to do. :confused:

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hi All,
testing the fantistic app since the Weekend with my brand new X and just wondering if there is any possibility to Export the trip data (adress, date, time, odometer) ?
Thanks to the developer for this great Service.
Greetings from Bavaria
Steffen

I turned logging back on in your account. It was turned off in your settings. Maybe you had a browser cache issue going on that didn't allow you to turn it back on?
I requested a token could that have done it? I also noticed the Tesla servers were up and down during the same timeframe. I've never turned logging off myself.

Last edited:
This is a great app @Jdeck and really is a datalover's dream. Quick question for everyone: When you enable sleep in the configuration, does the car sleep for a very long time? I get cycles of Idle for about 45 minutes and then 6 minutes of sleep and then back to a 45 minute of idle from there on. Is that normal? I've made sure that no other logging system is pinging the car (Model X) by changing my password. I have the "Time to Try sleeping = 15" and "Idle time before trying to sleep = 30" settings.

I requested a token could that have done it? I also noticed the Tesla servers were up and down during the same timeframe. I've never turned logging off myself.
It looks like teslafi received an unauthorized error at some point when using your token which automatically turned off logging.
It does look like Teslas servers where having an issue this morning. Lots of gaps in the data.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
This is a great app @Jdeck and really is a datalover's dream. Quick question for everyone: When you enable sleep in the configuration, does the car sleep for a very long time? I get cycles of Idle for about 45 minutes and then 6 minutes of sleep and then back to a 45 minute of idle from there on. Is that normal? I've made sure that no other logging system is pinging the car (Model X) by changing my password. I have the "Time to Try sleeping = 15" and "Idle time before trying to sleep = 30" settings.
Sounds like something else is still polling the car and waking it up. Unfortunately even if you change your password the token still stays active for a while. I've had mine active for up to a week once I changed it. Not supposed to be that way but it is.

Were you using Teslalog by chance? I had the same short sleeping issue even though I had logging turned off there. Finally the token expired and my car slept for hours at a time.

I'm curious, why can TeslaFi record location data even remote access is turned off ?

I turned off my remote access in my car and the program does not show where I have been except "Home" (where I turned it off) and "Home" (where I turned it back on) but it does record other data:

Home
Home 4 Hour 14 Minutes

1:10 PM-
5:25 PM 88.64 Miles Driven

140.68 Rated Miles Used

ODO 81262.31 - 81350.95 482 Wh/Mile

63% Efficiency

Avg Speed 17 MPH 54%

42.75 kWh $5.34 +-0.1 ft 96.7 F

I personally prefer to track my car at all time regardless of the settings in my car.

1) Tracking is the purpose. If one does not want to be tracked, the owner needs to disable the token.
2) 2 cars were stolen and it seems no one can track them. I hope this can still track when thieves disable the access in the car.

Two Tesla Model S cars were recently stolen in Europe and it’s puzzling the owners
3) Service Center may turn it off but I still want to know where my car has been at all time.

4) Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 disappeared and no one could track it (most likely because some one on the airplane turned the tracking feature off)...

Last edited: