Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without abandoning/quitting TeslaFi, is there a simple switch to turn it on/off? What if I want to go visit my girlfriend and not let the wife know about that trip (just an example, I'm not THAT much of a cad).

You can toggle logging on and off in the settings page. I also added the ability to delete any drive, charge, sleep and idle record last night. Just for clarification, it deletes the references to that data point so it won't show up anywhere on the site but the data is still there.

• Helpful
Reactions: jvonbokel
Tesla collects A LOT more data than is available to apps like TeslaFi, a lot. If Tesla gets hacked or if TeslaFi''s data gets hacked it could impact your privacy insofar as locations you go and your home location. Tesla servers contain a lot more data about your car. I believe if you wanted to quit TeslaFi you could request in writing for them to delete your data but there's no guarantees on that if it's even possible.
Second, if you have Energy Saving mode on the car goes to sleep when idle after a certain amount of time to save battery depletion. Apps like TeslaFi do poll your car on a regular basis which causes some loss called "vampire loss" to your battery. Not much though. There's more detail on that in TesaFi's help file online and what you can do to minimize that loss if you need to. It's only important if you need to eek out every last mile for a trip the next day.

I do plan on adding a "Close Account" option which will remove your account and all data from the server.

TeslaFi has its own password to access the app. It only uses your MyTesla ID and password to pull the data down. So in your "immoral scenario" just change your password for TeslaFi only. May I suggest "cheatingS0B" as a good password?

TeslaFi only uses your Tesla.com password to obtain a token from Tesla. It then discards the credentials and uses the token to retrieve the data from Tesla's servers. The credentials used to obtain the token are never stored in the database.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Going to be going offline at about 8:30 CST to move the database to a larger partition. I would do it later in the night but I don't want to run into issues and be up all night. Hopefully all goes smoothly and everything will be back up in an hour. The front end and logging will be down.

I'll probably post some updates on twitter. @teslafi

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and X Fan
Going to be going offline at about 8:30 CST to move the database to a larger partition. I would do it later in the night but I don't want to run into issues and be up all night. Hopefully all goes smoothly and everything will be back up in an hour. The front end and logging will be down.

I'll probably post some updates on twitter. @teslafi
So does that mean we won't get notified if one of us gets 8.0? That would be a major bummer but I understand your predicament.

So does that mean we won't get notified if one of us gets 8.0? That would be a major bummer but I understand your predicament.
Unfortunately I need to make some fixes to that script. When 8.0 comes out it is most likely going to be lower than the beta 103.53.1 that is the current high version. Any version below that that comes out won't trigger the email right now. Hopefully the DB move won't take long and I can fix that. I'm excited for it too.

Reactions: msnow
Back online. Everything appears to be fine. 54 minutes total downtime. If any data appears to be incorrect you can delete the affected records on the index page. Anything that can't be fixed via that route please open a ticket on the bug tracker. Thanks!

The signup link is now back on the homepage.

Last edited:
Email notifications should be set now. I have 103.53.1 ignored and reset the highest version to 2.36.31. I also changed the frequency that the script checks for new versions from every hour to every 5 minutes!

Email notifications should be set now. I have 103.53.1 ignored and reset the highest version to 2.36.31. I also changed the frequency that the script checks for new versions from every hour to every 5 minutes!
Per Ingineer's post at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1735143/, 103.53.1 is the EAP for 8.0. I guess we'll see when the final release candidate is thrown to the masses to see what the appropriate build number will be. I have a feeling the build numbers will continue from this.

Per Ingineer's post at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1735143/, 103.53.1 is the EAP for 8.0. I guess we'll see when the final release candidate is thrown to the masses to see what the appropriate build number will be. I have a feeling the build numbers will continue from this.
I've seen 102 & 103 betas before. They eventually move off the beta and into the 2.x general release versions.

What if I want to go visit my girlfriend and not let the wife know about that trip

Jdeck didn't mention it, so maybe this is the wrong answer to this question, but you can "hide" a Drive (in addition to being able to delete it), and Delete a Charge

HideDeleteDrives.gif

• Helpful
Looks like there is a lot of powerful logging going on. Pleases the engineer in me tremendously. With power comes complexity - and therefor a need to "study up". Is there a tutorial, test case, sample data..that I can poke around in without damaging anything? My MS delivery is only 8 days away, and I want to be as ready as possible.

The folks on this forum thread have been delightful at finding suggestions for all of my crazy ideas. I hope to be able to return the favor soon.

Is there a tutorial, test case, sample data

Don't think so ...

that I can poke around in without damaging anything?

AFAICR it is all Read Only, so can't think of any situation where you need to worry. The Phone APPs are a bit different - opening the roof when you cannot see if it is raining is a bit of a bore!

For logging I use:

TeslaLog: pretty graphs of MPH / energy usage / charging rate / etc.

TeslaFi: I find the raw data on Charging and Trips useful (and better than TeslaLog) - e.g. I now have a spreadsheet of most likely charging rates, and miles-gained, when supercharging from various %ages, also comparison of wH/mile at various cruising speeds / situations

I've never properly checked if it works, but a cool feature of TeslaLog is that I have geofenced the local supermarket car park so that the AirCon stays on for 30 minutes when I park there.

Perhaps you need TeslaFi to add a feature that lets you geofence all the roads around your girl friend's house where you might park (hypothetically of course!) and AutoHide those trips?!! :D

In TeslaFi I'd like to see anonymised aggregated data / graphs for supercharging rate of the various models, maybe also for any stead-MPH cuising

• Helpful
Don't think so ...

AFAICR it is all Read Only, so can't think of any situation where you need to worry. The Phone APPs are a bit different - opening the roof when you cannot see if it is raining is a bit of a bore!

For logging I use:

TeslaLog: pretty graphs of MPH / energy usage / charging rate / etc.

TeslaFi: I find the raw data on Charging and Trips useful (and better than TeslaLog) - e.g. I now have a spreadsheet of most likely charging rates, and miles-gained, when supercharging from various %ages, also comparison of wH/mile at various cruising speeds / situations

I've never properly checked if it works, but a cool feature of TeslaLog is that I have geofenced the local supermarket car park so that the AirCon stays on for 30 minutes when I park there.

Perhaps you need TeslaFi to add a feature that lets you geofence all the roads around your girl friend's house where you might park (hypothetically of course!) and AutoHide those trips?!! :D

In TeslaFi I'd like to see anonymised aggregated data / graphs for supercharging rate of the various models, maybe also for any stead-MPH cuising
Thats what I'm talking about - solid, reasoned advice. Thanks wannabe

My MS delivery is only 8 days away, and I want to be as ready as possible.

That must be a whole thread opportunity? :)

Install APPs on phone
Register for TeslaFi etc.
Get a list of useful URLs for car browser (there's a thread on that somewhere). evTripPlanner, PlugShare and the like
Driver Profiles are in create-order. I did Wifee's first :) I have one for "charging" with seat back and steering wheel up.
Head to both supercharger and any other types of chargers you might use early on, with a full tank, to figure out "how" without it being critical
etc. ...

@Jdeck I'm trading in my Model S for an X on Friday. I know you don't support multiple vehicles yet, but is there anything I need to do once the changeover happens? I'm assuming that my S will disappear from my tesla account and the X will appear once I take delivery.

Also, is there any way I can download the data for comparative purposes between the S & X? What happens to the old data in TFi?

Thanks again for a great service / app!

The 103.53.1 beta added some more API data-

left_temp_direction
max_avail_temp
is_climate_on
right_temp_direction
min_avail_temp
rear_seat_type

Nothing too useful. We'll find out soon if they added any new commands.

I added these fields to the Raw Data page on the site if anyone wants to see what they offer. They won't populate for your car until you get 8.0.

What is left_temp_direction? It's returning different numbers (-103,-115,-117,-121 etc...) Something specific for model X?
Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 9.33.55 AM.png

I think that explains some of the new fields.

The 103.53.1 beta added some more API data-

left_temp_direction
max_avail_temp
is_climate_on
right_temp_direction
min_avail_temp
rear_seat_type

Nothing too useful. We'll find out soon if they added any new commands.

I added these fields to the Raw Data page on the site if anyone wants to see what they offer. They won't populate for your car until you get 8.0.

What is left_temp_direction? It's returning different numbers (-103,-115,-117,-121 etc...) Something specific for model X?

Not sure about temp_direction, but I guess this tweet tells us what max and min are:

Elon Musk on Twitter