Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well....we have a big problem. Tesla appears to have removed the battery_current response from the API in software version 17.11.3. Unfortunately I rely on this field pretty heavily and parts of the site are not going to work without it.

I'll monitor what's going on today but I won't be able to dig in deeper until tonight. All versions before 17.11.3 still work fine.
Has Tesla fixed this yet or is the battery_current response still missing from the API in newer versions of 8.1?

Has Tesla fixed this yet or is the battery_current response still missing from the API in newer versions of 8.1?

For me, it's still an issue.

I'm getting a lot of "Your Tesla is Trying to Sleep" notices but rarely (read: almost never) any confirmations of sleep mode since upgrading to 8.1 (17.14.23) on 4/21. I do get "Your Tesla Did Not Go to Sleep" notes every now and then (but not regularly). It seems like the site attempts to stop polling the car then immediately goes back to normal polling. I'd say that my car generally only goes to sleep when it attempts during the hours defined in my Nighttime Sleep Mode or Deep Sleep Mode settings. I've only seen once or twice since upgrading to 8.1 where the car goes to sleep outside of the two scheduled modes.

For me, it's still an issue.

I'm getting a lot of "Your Tesla is Trying to Sleep" notices but rarely (read: almost never) any confirmations of sleep mode since upgrading to 8.1 (17.14.23) on 4/21. I do get "Your Tesla Did Not Go to Sleep" notes every now and then (but not regularly). It seems like the site attempts to stop polling the car then immediately goes back to normal polling. I'd say that my car generally only goes to sleep when it attempts during the hours defined in my Nighttime Sleep Mode or Deep Sleep Mode settings. I've only seen once or twice since upgrading to 8.1 where the car goes to sleep outside of the two scheduled modes.

I think I figured out the problem. I disabled the text notifications in your account and TeslaFi started the normal 15 minute pause in polling to get the car to sleep. I enabled it again and it stopped working and just reset polling immediately like you've seen.

In the text I send a link to the url to enable logging again. I just setup logging to monitor the activity of that url. Sure enough as soon as the text is sent to t-mobile the url is visited which starts logging again. The IP is from Barracuda Networks, Inc. so I'm guessing it's visiting the links to check for spam or threats? I have Verizon and it's been working for me.

I turned your text notifications off for right now. I guess I'll have to build in a confirmation button within the url to enable logging. This should bypass the issue.

I think I figured out the problem. I disabled the text notifications in your account and TeslaFi started the normal 15 minute pause in polling to get the car to sleep. I enabled it again and it stopped working and just reset polling immediately like you've seen.

In the text I send a link to the url to enable logging again. I just setup logging to monitor the activity of that url. Sure enough as soon as the text is sent to t-mobile the url is visited which starts logging again. The IP is from Barracuda Networks, Inc. so I'm guessing it's visiting the links to check for spam or threats? I have Verizon and it's been working for me.

I turned your text notifications off for right now. I guess I'll have to build in a confirmation button within the url to enable logging. This should bypass the issue.
HA. That makes sense. I don't know how many users have T-Mobile but apparently this is one of the benefits of being with the UNcarrier. :) I've been noticing a few more sleep modes today (Friday, 5/5), so I assumed you were tinkering around the night prior. I don't know if it's necessary to change around the entire UI based on one carrier, but perhaps it's happening with other carriers, too.

Wait. Does this mean checking TeslaFi could potentially wake the car? I had started pulling up TeslaFi to check stats instead of the Tesla app specifically to avoid waking the car.
No.
The problem is more complcated.
Normal use of teslafi doesn't change the way it polls (or doesn't poll) the car; it neither wakes the car nor prevents a sleep from occurring.
The issue is triggered by a combination of three factors:
  • Teslafi added an api call specifically to wake the car
  • a link to this call was/is inserted into the notification message sent to the owner by teslafi
  • some mobile carrieres check messages for harmful content not only by examining the actual message but also by scanning any referenced web pages. Thus, the mobile carrier calls the linked api call to wake up the car and so prevents it from going to sleep.
That's not something you could run into during normal use of the teslafi interface since the full link to the wake up API call including your token isn't shown anywhere on the web interface.

Is Tesla still failing to report amps in the API for cars that have installed the update? Are you still using the more accurate amps data for cars that are not on 8.1? Thanks!
The battery_current reading is still missing.

Yes, I still use the battery_current field if it's in the data. If the battery_current is not present, it resorts to using a calculation of power/voltage.

I see a new symbol called "Controls", but it isn't clickable for me. A new feature?
upload_2017-5-17_10-3-56.png

Is this doable with the API?

I've now twice forgotten that I had the car set to do a range charge, and I get a text message at 6am that the car is fully charged to 250 miles. Oops! At 8am, I run out of the house and drive the car around for 20 minutes to burn off the full charge instead of letting it sit and heat up at 100%.

Is there a way to have Teslafi monitor the charge setting %, and send me a text message alert or email when I start to charge "Hey, bozo, you still have charging set to 100% -- Are you sure?" That way, I can remember to reset it down to a daily charge level.

I know the car sometimes pops up an alert on the touchscreen, but I think that's only after you've range charged two or three times.

thanks.

Reactions: msnow
Is this doable with the API?

I've now twice forgotten that I had the car set to do a range charge, and I get a text message at 6am that the car is fully charged to 250 miles. Oops! At 8am, I run out of the house and drive the car around for 20 minutes to burn off the full charge instead of letting it sit and heat up at 100%.

Is there a way to have Teslafi monitor the charge setting %, and send me a text message alert or email when I start to charge "Hey, bozo, you still have charging set to 100% -- Are you sure?" That way, I can remember to reset it down to a daily charge level.

I know the car sometimes pops up an alert on the touchscreen, but I think that's only after you've range charged two or three times.

thanks.
It should be doable. I entered a feature request under your name in the help section. I can probably do this at the same time I work on the charging reminder request.

Thanks