Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there @Jdeck my dad took delivery of his model 3 a few weeks ago, and due to Tesla's transfer issues it's still on my account. I forgot to address it when I got the email about vin change, and now I have a bunch of drives from his car polluting my data for the past few weeks. Is there an easy way to search AND delete them en masse?

Is elevation data coming from map data or the car? Doesn't seem to indicate any change in elevation parking 80 feet up in a garage.

I'm not sure what TeslaFi is implementing, but strictly speaking: Elevation is how high the ground is. Altitude is how high your car is. If your car is on the ground, altitude = elevation, but not in your parking garage example, or when your flying car takes off. :)

Bruce.

How is there not an open source version of this? I've said this before in another thread and nothing against Teslafi but security is hard and if someone hacks this they know a lot about you. Talk about making it easy to steal Teslas...they can see your schedule and where the car is at any point in time. I guess most of what someone could do would just be annoying but seems odd so many people trust a random developer with this info.

JDeck isn't some random developer. He's been around these forums for a long time, and TeslaFi has been around a few years at this point with zero issues. It's a great service.

I'm not saying he would start selling the data I'm saying since it's code written by a human there are security issues with it, like every program ever written. If someone exploits this they have access to thousands? of tesla owners information. Everyone is free to do what they want but hopefully people are aware of this fact. I wouldn't want my home/work address along with where I'm at at all times available to people. Hell, there's an open car/trunk option and even start, just think what damage could be done with not only the information but the ability to unlock/start your car.

I'm not saying he would start selling the data I'm saying since it's code written by a human there are security issues with it, like every program ever written. If someone exploits this they have access to thousands? of tesla owners information. Everyone is free to do what they want but hopefully people are aware of this fact. I wouldn't want my home/work address along with where I'm at at all times available to people. Hell, there's an open car/trunk option and even start, just think what damage could be done with not only the information but the ability to unlock/start your car.
If you're concerned, you don't have to use it. Or enable some of the security and privacy features, like disabling vehicle controls, generating your own API token and opting out of the leaderboard.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and boaterva
If you're concerned, you don't have to use it. Or enable some of the security and privacy features, like disabling vehicle controls, generating your own API token and opting out of the leaderboard.

You're making my point, people think that just disabling something in the app will help but it won't. If your api token is leaked that's all that's needed to cause some real harm. I hope this is in what ever terms and conditions they have, and being a developer I'd be very worried about possible lawsuits if those tokens got leaked and peoples car's, or worse, people themselves were hurt.

Not knocking the app, just want to make sure people are aware and safe. Hopefully Jdeck has thought of this too.

How is there not an open source version of this? I've said this before in another thread and nothing against Teslafi but security is hard and if someone hacks this they know a lot about you. Talk about making it easy to steal Teslas...they can see your schedule and where the car is at any point in time. I guess most of what someone could do would just be annoying but seems odd so many people trust a random developer with this info.
VisableTesla is an open source Tesla monitor. I’ve never tried it.

VisableTesla is an open source Tesla monitor. I’ve never tried it.

I ran Visible Tesla for awhile. It was a good program, but development has pretty much stagnated as of late (the past year or so?). It's a Java application that you need to keeping running on a computer somewhere. It collects the same sorts of data that TeslaFi does, but its ability to visualize it is less featureful.

Operationally, the biggest difference between VT and TeslaFi is that VT is a piece of software you run on your computer, whereas TeslaFi is a service. Neither approach is strictly better than the other.

Bruce.

You're making my point, people think that just disabling something in the app will help but it won't. If your api token is leaked that's all that's needed to cause some real harm. I hope this is in what ever terms and conditions they have, and being a developer I'd be very worried about possible lawsuits if those tokens got leaked and peoples car's, or worse, people themselves were hurt.

Not knocking the app, just want to make sure people are aware and safe. Hopefully Jdeck has thought of this too.
I know what you're saying, I just don't think the risk is high. I trust Jdeck to secure the server well, and if there's a breach, he'll let us know and we'll change our Tesla passwords. I know, nothing is bullet-proof, but then Tesla has all our data too and it's not open source either...

You're driving a internet connected car with GPS and microphones, and cameras, while also carrying a internet connected phone, also with GPS, also with microphones and also with cameras.

If either of these things are compromised, you're screwed. Best to leave the phone hardwired at home and drive any other car but Tesla.
It's the only way to be sure...

I know what you're saying, I just don't think the risk is high. I trust Jdeck to secure the server well, and if there's a breach, he'll let us know and we'll change our Tesla passwords. I know, nothing is bullet-proof, but then Tesla has all our data too and it's not open source either...

I don't know Jdeck, he could be an amazing engineer for all I know but that wouldn't matter, there is a high chance that a single developer has security issues, very high. Normally this isn't a big issue because hackers don't care about little websites but compromising this system probably wouldn't be too hard if someone wanted to and unlike, say, a forum or something with just passwords this site has not only historical information stored for a lot of rich people but it also allows them to track and control their cars in realtime. That's a goldmine. Either way, it's everyones choice but most people don't understand it and in most cases by the time the developer knows it's too late and the damage has been done. You think Teslafi has better security than the 14 stores that were compromised just this year so far? If you shopped at these 14 stores in the last year, your data might have been stolen.

I found a security issue with the site in 2 minutes just browsing the logged out part. :-/

You're driving a internet connected car with GPS and microphones, and cameras, while also carrying a internet connected phone, also with GPS, also with microphones and also with cameras.

If either of these things are compromised, you're screwed. Best to leave the phone hardwired at home and drive any other car but Tesla.
It's the only way to be sure...

Nothing for nothing, I trust Apple and Tesla a lot more to know what their doing than a random developer doing this a hobby. They have teams of people that just work on security.