Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn't ABRP do that?
That post appears to be about charging curves and less about consumption over specific routes - but maybe they're still doing it somewhere else?

It would be interesting for @Jdeck to share the data with @aesculus for use in EVTO. EVTO is already quite accurate since it takes weather into account, but having additional data on the consumption of similar vehicles on similar routes could potentially make results even better.

That post appears to be about charging curves and less about consumption over specific routes - but maybe they're still doing it somewhere else?

It would be interesting for @Jdeck to share the data with @aesculus for use in EVTO. EVTO is already quite accurate since it takes weather into account, but having additional data on the consumption of similar vehicles on similar routes could potentially make results even better.

+1

As an example, I have double digit, N & S, rain/no rain trips with speed, time, etc. between Naples-Brandon, Brandon-Ocala, Ocala-Kingsland, Kingsland-Savannah, Savannah-Santee, Savannah-Charlotte, etc. that would be useful for someone taking a trip from the North in a 90X. On some routes, my Range Miles are very predictable (within 5 RM) and through experience I can now charge & plan my trip more accurately.

Early on, I found EVtriplanner to be OK ( I would use a S setting ) but ultimately my experience over 20 trips is much better

Similarly, if I wanted to take a trip beyond my comfort zone (Ie to the North with cold impact, out West where elevation and wind are big variants) having access to crowd sourced data would be valuable in trip planning.

Similarly, if I wanted to take a trip beyond my comfort zone (Ie to the North with cold impact, out West where elevation and wind are big variants) having access to crowd sourced data would be valuable in trip planning.
That is why I created EVTO. It has a very dynamic and scientific model that does not use static "historical data". It takes into account the usual suspects of elevation, distance and speed as well as car characteristics but then goes much further:
  • high frontal area modes for towing with camping trailers
  • dynamic temperatures, wind direction and speed for each turn leg
  • battery heating (MS and MX)
  • precipitation and road accumulation (ie slush)
  • driving style such as hypermileing, aggressive driving (power factor)
  • speed adjustments and speed capping
  • air resistance (based on elevation and temperature) and rolling resistance
  • wheel and tire types
  • cabin heating/cooling including camper mode and MX rear seat affects
  • payloads including trailer weights
This is all calculated and adjusted on a leg by leg (navigation instruction) or trip segment basis. This is because many of the above factors can change dramatically within a given trip.

It can seem overwhelming for simple use at first, but once you set it up (you can have up to 5 different car profiles), it's pretty straight forward.

It would be interesting for @Jdeck to share the data with @aesculus for use in EVTO.
BTW @idoco did share with me his teslafi data for his return trip back east when he got his Bowlus Road Chief from Las Vegas. EVTO 3.4 has some small tweaks in it from his data that helped a lot. It was also good to have a number of checkpoints on the accuracy of the model.

Reactions: idoco

Sorry, I meant to say "and subsequent pages". I don't know to what extent ABRP logs data for specific routes such that it could be used for trip-planning (but that is what ABRP does of course ...) but, for example, the subsequent page A Better Routeplanner says "This is power consumption [graph] for Model S, adjusted for elevation and speed changes to correspond to flat land and constant speed, from 65 vehicles, one data point per minute, in totalt 13276 data points. Basically no other screening - all temperatures, rims, driving styles, roof racks, and whatnot in the same point cloud." so not for specific weather conditions, and ABRPs Bad Weather more is quite a coarse adjustment.

and also this A Better Routeplanner "new version of ABRP with consumption models for Model S and X based on the collected data from ABRP users, specifically this: [graph]" so route planning taking into account real world actual-use data, but probably not enough data capture for it to be specific-route-specific nor for specific weather on that specific route ...

Sorry, I meant to say "and subsequent pages". I don't know to what extent ABRP logs data for specific routes such that it could be used for trip-planning (but that is what ABRP does of course ...) but, for example, the subsequent page A Better Routeplanner says "This is power consumption [graph] for Model S, adjusted for elevation and speed changes to correspond to flat land and constant speed, from 65 vehicles, one data point per minute, in totalt 13276 data points. Basically no other screening - all temperatures, rims, driving styles, roof racks, and whatnot in the same point cloud." so not for specific weather conditions, and ABRPs Bad Weather more is quite a coarse adjustment.

and also this A Better Routeplanner "new version of ABRP with consumption models for Model S and X based on the collected data from ABRP users, specifically this: [graph]" so route planning taking into account real world actual-use data, but probably not enough data capture for it to be specific-route-specific nor for specific weather on that specific route ...
Gotcha. It sounds as if you have to keep ABRP open in your browser to allow them to do some sort of data collection. I'm not sure exactly how that works, but I think @aesculus answered the extent to which user data would be worthwhile -- more as a validation tool for his existing consumption model.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
as a validation tool for his existing consumption model.

I too am pleased that ABRP has some real world validation data, as I figure that its going to make it pretty accurate for my car (seems to be the case) ... and if I was to thinking of buying a replacement I could compare some example journeys for current-model and proposed-model to see if I the proposed-model would suit me :)

If it ever worked, it didn't recently, but now it does again: When you click on a firmware link in TeslaFi, the listings of cars updated were not in proper reverse chrono order. They are now, and you can also sort by clicking on the Date, Location, and Model headers (which look like they should do so).

Reported this and it was quickly fixed. Nice to be able to see the history for a new firmware easily!

If it ever worked, it didn't recently, but now it does again: When you click on a firmware link in TeslaFi, the listings of cars updated were not in proper reverse chrono order. They are now, and you can also sort by clicking on the Date, Location, and Model headers (which look like they should do so).

Reported this and it was quickly fixed. Nice to be able to see the history for a new firmware easily!
Does anybody know the priority of things they work on at TeslaFI? I reported a few issues related to "Schedules & Reminders Beta". I realize it is a beta feature but I think a number of users might like to use it. Since it is a subscription based product I would think they would want to prioritize based on customer feedback but I do not see much happening. Maybe they are doing a lot that I just do not see like your sort example. We always complain about Tesla putting very little in the new release notes. Maybe TeslaFI could have a New Release Updates Page that shows what is being changed. Maybe something there would be helpful if we knew what they were. But I will repeat I would like to see improvements to the Schedules.

Do you follow the changelog? That tells you what is fixed/changed. I see things there all the time. Perhaps there should be a more concrete mechanism, but if you really want to know what is going on, that's definitely one way to be up to date!
Nope.... But I just clicked on "Following". After review it appears the majority of updates are for fixes which should be the priority. Anyway, I would like to see some updates to the Schedules (which is still beta).

Nope.... But I just clicked on "Following". After review it appears the majority of updates are for fixes which should be the priority. Anyway, I would like to see some updates to the Schedules (which is still beta).
Definitely.... I think I've seen a couple of updates to it over the weeks, but I wonder how many people use it, since it's a specialized feature. And bugs have priority, of course. You might find your issue, if it was an actual bug for the Scheduler, and just add a comment saying any ETA on this.

Definitely.... I think I've seen a couple of updates to it over the weeks, but I wonder how many people use it, since it's a specialized feature. And bugs have priority, of course. You might find your issue, if it was an actual bug for the Scheduler, and just add a comment saying any ETA on this.
I have been in contact with them since I originally reported multiple issues. They had me add a schedule entry as "Wake Up" to reduce the bus failure when sending a command. After I did that it helped reduce the problem (errors) but they said they would make it an internal command so I did not have to do the "Wake Up" command before I do some of my commands. Also, when they get certain failures they repeat the command (I think 10 times - notices) where they should not do that for some responses. Also, related to SORT, I ask if they could sort the entries based on when they will go off (maybe not hard to program?). Now they are first in first out as I created them. And since I have to put in so many entries it is hard to follow. Lastly, my first request was to combine the "Set Charge Limit" with "Start Charging" or at least have the option to do that. Sometimes you want to "Set Charge Limit" by itself but normally when "I" do a "Start Charging" I want it to be for a Charge Limit. My point is that even though it works (most of the time) I need three entries where 1 will do. And each command could possibly fail creating many notices. And if you want to use TOD Charging where you want to end closer to the time you leave in the morning you have to use to many entries. They may feel that since it is "working" that making it nice to use it not a priority since they have to fix so many other things.

Does anybody know the priority of things they work on at TeslaFI?

Not to dispute or minimize the issues you reported, but I believe "they" is a single person.

(As the sole maintainer of a popular open source project, which I understand is a totally different thing, I am all too aware of the fact that there's never enough time to do all the stuff you want to do, let alone all the stuff your users want you to do.)

Peace,

Bruce.

PS. I have one issue in the TeslaFi issue tracker, and your description of scheduled tasks reminded me of another enhancement request I want to file. :)

Reactions: boaterva
Not to dispute or minimize the issues you reported, but I believe "they" is a single person.

(As the sole maintainer of a popular open source project, which I understand is a totally different thing, I am all too aware of the fact that there's never enough time to do all the stuff you want to do, let alone all the stuff your users want you to do.)

Peace,

Bruce.

PS. I have one issue in the TeslaFi issue tracker, and your description of scheduled tasks reminded me of another enhancement request I want to file. :)
I understand your point but this is a subscription service with "2,132 Contributing Vehicles". Maybe the "sole maintainer" could afford a part time person that can write PHP (assuming that is the scripting used on the web site). FYI... I own a small software company (about 40 years now). We have a small staff and I understand what it means to set priorities. After required fixes my priorities are customer driven. Just saying....

BUT.... I did not mean to make a big deal about this. TeslaFI is a very nice product for what it does and I recommend it to anyone that wants to track their trips. I was just trying to respond to the person that said he recently requested a SORT Change and it happen very quickly. And my SORT change has so far not happened.

Reactions: bmah
It wasn't a 'sort' change, it was a bug fix (several of them!). :D

If all of the scheduler is beta, you can see the difference, of course. And I don't often address TeslaFi issues in this thread, I ask James in the TeslaFi support forum for the status of an issue. That's really where all support questions should go.

Only posted that at all because I thought people would appreciate knowing the bug had been repaired!