Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a combo of heating and driving fast, you've got long stretches at 80 mph, depending on configuration of your 3 you need to be doing 65-70 mph to hit rated range.

ok then, i'd get run over in ATL at that speed but it is good to know what I am doing wrong. on my 35mph start and stop 10 mile trips to work and back i get even lower efficiency of around 50% or less.

what would be really nice is an app that takes all those factors into account and gives you a single readout of your car's efficiency relative to other cars of the same model and sw versions as a running average.

I seem to get unusually low efficiency on my M3 even using autopilot for example this long trip from ATL to Macon and back... is this 70% efficiency on long auto-pilot trips normal or is there something wrong with my car? I was expecting at least 85% or better I guess since it wasn't a stop and go trip, just get on the highway and go.

Along with what GregRF said...Ambient outside temps play a big factor too and probably effect shorter drives the most since the battery doesn't have as much time to warm up. We took a trip from Charlotte to Charleston over this Thanksgiving holiday in our M3 and we were hitting around 70% efficiency as well. it is disappointing to see those kind of numbers.

Looks like a combo of heating and driving fast, you've got long stretches at 80 mph, depending on configuration of your 3 you need to be doing 65-70 mph to hit rated range.

ok then, i'd get run over in ATL at that speed but it is good to know what I am doing wrong. on my 35mph start and stop 10 mile trips to work and back i get even lower efficiency of around 50% or less.

what would be really nice is an app that takes all those factors into account and gives you a single readout of your car's efficiency relative to other cars of the same model and sw versions as a running average.

Ambient outside temps play a big factor too and probably effect shorter drives the most since the battery doesn't have as much time to warm up. We took a trip from Charlotte to Charleston over this Thanksgiving holiday in our M3 and we were hitting around 70% efficiency as well. it is disappointing to see those kind of numbers.

Would also be cool if the app suggested small adjustments in driving habits or user settings (seat heaters, a/c, etc.) after or during a drive, "turn your A/C off to achieve an additional 3% efficiency"....something like that...

Reactions: groovyd
Hello Jdeck and everyone in this thread,

I am a new Tesla owner since Sept. I looked around a bit at 3rd party apps, and decided that TeslaFi was a much better idea. I still have IOS apps “Remote S” and “Stats for Tesla”, both very pretty, but am considering disabling both in favor of official Tesla app and TeslaFi only.

Main reason: I like that all of the access to my Tesla account and the car, beyond that from the Tesla-supported mobile app, is coming from a website and not another mobile phone app. This eliminates issues of varying connectivity available to the phone as I go about my daily activities. It also means I can use multiple phones, tables, and computers to check on my car statistics, without creating additional traffic. I tend to add IOS apps automatically on all my devices including tablets, and was surprised when this generated extra traffic to Tesla servers and/or the car. I decided that was a bad idea and restricted all 3rd party apps to my mobile phone.

REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: I am not completely clear on the nature of traffic from 3rd party apps, how much of that traffic is going only to the Tesla servers, how much of that traffic to the Tesla servers results in a conversation with the car, and whether any of the traffic from 3rd party apps is going direct to the car.

My SWAG is that 100% of traffic from 3rd party mobile phone apps is going first to Tesla servers, and that any extra communication with the car caused by these 3rd party apps is caused by the severs responsibility to these apps by querying the car. But I am not entirely sure. Perhaps some of the traffic uses bluetooth or wifi to contact the car directly?

I have heard the claim from some 3rd party app developers that their app causes less vampire drain than TeslaFi. I am skeptical about this claim, but I understand if you don’t use TeslaFi “sleep mode” and your 3rd party app implements something similar by default, there certainly could be a difference. I have not enabled sleep mode yet because the car is always plugged into my home charger when not out and about, and I haven’t yet had to leave the car at an airport or hotel parking for long periods of inactivity.

Anyway, sorry if this has all been covered somewhere in the 80+ pages of postings in this thread over the past 2 years.

Keep up the good work!

Hello,

I just updated to 2018.48.12.1. My car seems to be "visible" to Teslafi, the connection state shows "online" but the data logger says "No Data". The interface is "stuck" with the vehicle state (charge level, etc.) from before the update and Teslafi is not even aware of my new firmware version.

My Tesla app seems to be working correctly. It shows that I'm charging right now and it also shows the right level of charge.

I rebooted the MCU ("API Error - Data Request Timeout" showed up on the logger for that particular moment) and I even renewed the token but it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Any ideas?

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I just updated to 2018.48.12.1. My car seems to be "visible" to Teslafi, the connection state shows "online" but the data logger says "No Data". The interface is "stuck" with the vehicle state (charge level, etc.) from before the update and Teslafi is not even aware of my new firmware version.

My Tesla app seems to be working correctly. It shows that I'm charging right now and it also shows the right level of charge.

I rebooted the MCU ("API Error - Data Request Timeout" showed up on the logger for that particular moment) and I even renewed the token but it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Any ideas?

I'm having a similar issue. Updated to 2018.48.12.1 yesterday, and haven't been able to get any reporting to Teslafi. Tried rebooting MCU, deleting api token and re-issuing, changing Tesla account pw and re-re-issuing api token....no dice.
Raw data feed in Teslafi confirms nothing received since updating.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Ever since my MX100D (MCU2) updated to 2018.44, it hardly enters asleep/offline state. Before 2018.44, it usually went to asleep/offline after one hour of idling. Now (currently at 2018.48.1), it can go idle for 4 hours without entering asleep/offline. Thus, losing a lot of energy due to vampire loss. I have reset my Tesla.com password and regenerate the token but it is still the same. I also force stop my Tesla app on my Android phone but no avail.

Does anyone having the same issue since 2018.44?

Ever since my MX100D (MCU2) updated to 2018.44, it hardly enters asleep/offline state. Before 2018.44, it usually went to asleep/offline after one hour of idling. Now (currently at 2018.48.1), it can go idle for 4 hours without entering asleep/offline. Thus, losing a lot of energy due to vampire loss. I have reset my Tesla.com password and regenerate the token but it is still the same. I also force stop my Tesla app on my Android phone but no avail.

Does anyone having the same issue since 2018.44?

I had the issue on 42.2. I don't know why they have so many regressions on vampire drain. Or frankly why it hasn't hit 0 yet. Even with a new generation of hardware. 48.1 is doing much better at sleeping now. Sleeps for 4 hours and wakes for 2.5 hours. Which is still like 6-7 miles per day, but better than the 15-20 that it was before.

@Jdeck , after updating to 48.12.1 (Christmas release), my car is losing some sleep (but not all). It only sleeps a few hours a day, and it keeps idling for more than 15 hours. The car is at a tagged location. Sleep mode enabled but it doesn't sleep even at night.

Have you seen similar effects on other cars you manage?
I might find the culprit... now my car is sleeping at home but last week it slept only 8-9 hours then idle for 15 hours.
It seems one of the 3rd row seat latch wasn't locked. The seats were down to hold suitcases in the trunk. I accidentally put some pressure on one of the 3rd row seats and it clicked!
To fold 3rd row seats, I usually just unlatch and push the seatbacks, but apparently this won't latch the seat in the folded position.

Have anybody seen this behavior?

I did some tests measuring energy usage through CAN bus data (thanks to 'Scan my Tesla'). I wanted to see how much the car uses when just idling.

I use Teslafi.com and I have not set any sleep mode. On purpose. I want to log everything as best as I can and don't miss any data.
My car has 'Energy Saving' mode turned off and it is set up 'always connected'. IOW that's the way the car will not try to conserve energy and is the most responsive.
I also have a Blackvuew 2 channel camera running constantly (it is not switched off).
I also have a bluetooth adapter on my CAN bus connected all the time.

Probably the worst case scenario setup regarding vampire drain.

When parked, my car uses aprox 80-90 Watt. On a full 24 hour day that adds up to just over 2 kWh or aprox 7 miles or range. I might do a test with everything turned off just to see how much difference it would make. But honestly, I do want my dashcam to record 24h to catch people who might hit my while I am parked (this happened to me 2 years ago and my dashcam saved me). I also want my car to be responsive when I get in and when I use the app, so there is very little room for saving a lot of energy. Best case I can bring the energy usage down my 1/3. So I save a few cents?

Fast app access, gappless data logging, dashcam protection, ... I want and willing to pay a few $ for these things.

Sleep problem here also after recent release. I’ll assume it’s 2018.48.12.1. After reading all the notes at TeslaFi it turned out that the car wasn’t even ‘trying to sleep’. I had to uncheck the two temperature items in the sleep parameters to get it to try then it tried immediately. Something must have changed recently?

I was getting weird HPWC charge results (wouldn’t top off to proper levels since the car was idle forever, never sleeping...) That part is fixed but now it attempts to sleep but still doesn’t ever do so. I’ve done all the TeslaFi settings recommended in the car (were already set): always connected off, energy save on, emergency overheat off, and also did new token for TeslaFi, and rebooted car for the heck of it.).

MCU 1, of course. Anyone see similar issues or have suggestions? This was perfect for a year until 48.12. :D

Last edited: