Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found the feature, thank you. So what does it actually do, specifically? I set it to start at 9AM. Then plugged it in at 11AM. I would expect it to wait until the following 9AM to start? But it started immediately. Is there a cutoff, like it only waits to start if you plug it in 12 hrs after or more, etc.?

Or try to wait a couple of minutes after connecting. It probably stop charging.

Yeah, good point. The car will always click the charger on when you first connect it if you've got a door open for hvac, etc. The screen will not say charging, though. It's just using shore power rather than battery power. This ignores scheduled charging limits (since it's not charging).

Found the feature, thank you. So what does it actually do, specifically? I set it to start at 9AM. Then plugged it in at 11AM. I would expect it to wait until the following 9AM to start? But it started immediately. Is there a cutoff, like it only waits to start if you plug it in 12 hrs after or more, etc.?
We typically have our charging start time for around 5:00 or 6:00 am to finish charging right before departure. If we plug in again roughly before noon the car will want to start charging immediately. Right after plugging in you can stop this by tapping the "cancel charge" button on the screen. If you wait too long it becomes a "stop charging" button where the car will stop charging momentarily & then start again. The same is true in the app.

My model X was MCU1+AP2.0 but got upgraded to MCU2+AP3. Before the upgrade, suddenly, the car doesn't sleep anymore. I'm a long-time TeslaFi user, so I experimented with several different settings, but still in vain.

Does anyone have similar experiences?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210517-004444_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210517-004444_Chrome.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 61
yea, both my 2019 Model 3 and 2020 Model S are not not sleeping according to Teslafi.....Sleeps for 1 hr, the wakes for hour or so and repeats this over and over....have very good Wi-Fi and it started with last two sw upgrades....also, my wifes car chargers from 17% to 90% at new Irvine (Culver) supercharger in 28min......my 2020 model s charges from 20% to 80% in 40min.....I think I got a leftover 2019 badged as 2020 with "F" battery....

Last edited:
Reactions: hiroshiy
yea, both my 2019 Model 3 and 2020 Model S are not not sleeping according to Teslafi.....
or are not sleeping because of Teslafi?

How does Teslafi determine if and when your car is sleeping?

- It seems to me that every time Teslafi connect to your car, the car weak up.​

Note: I installed a Bluetooth Battery Monitor, so I can check remotely the status of my battery thus I know when the car is sleeping or not.

- When not driving, my car sleeps for about two days and then the car weak up and the 12 V battery get recharged for about two hours.​

or are not sleeping because of Teslafi?

How does Teslafi determine if and when your car is sleeping?

- It seems to me that every time Teslafi connect to your car, the car weak up.​
Teslafi does not connect to your car. If connects to the Telsa API. If uses the API to determine if the car sleeping and does so without the need to wake it.

My model X was MCU1+AP2.0 but got upgraded to MCU2+AP3. Before the upgrade, suddenly, the car doesn't sleep anymore. I'm a long-time TeslaFi user, so I experimented with several different settings, but still in vain.

Does anyone have similar experiences?
My 3 is sleeping just fine. I was looking at your settings. You have deep sleep enabled which is telling Teslafi not to contact the API during the wee hours. If you cars are still not sleeping during this period, then it would seem likely something else is keeping it awake. Are you sure you have not inadvertently set sentry mode to be on at the location where you are expecting it to sleep?

Also, I note another poster remarking their car not sleeping and at the same time having a very good wifi. The car cannot be in deep sleep with a wifi connection. In deep sleep the only connection will be the pager portion of the phone connection.

Teslafi does not connect to your car. If connects to the Telsa API. If uses the API to determine if the car sleeping and does so without the need to wake it.
And how does the Tesla API know if the car is sleeping?
- Does the Tesla API connects to the car time to time to check the status of the car?

I noticed that sometime for no reason my car wakes up for a very short duration, which starts my dashcam and sends me an alert on my phone.
I believe this due to Tesla checking remotely my car and quite often then I receive a message informing that a new software update is ready to be downloaded.

Last edited:
I noticed that sometime for no reason my car wakes up for a very short duration, which starts my dashcam and sends me an alert on my phone.
I believe this due to Tesla checking remotely my car and quite often then I receive a message informing that a new software update is ready to be downloaded.
"Speaking of the devil", I noticed that my car wakes up a 4 pm today and just now around 12 pm I received a message to download 2021.4.15.10

I wonder if anyone noticed that Tesla connects earlier to your car before submitting a new software update?

My 3 is sleeping just fine. I was looking at your settings. You have deep sleep enabled which is telling Teslafi not to contact the API during the wee hours. If you cars are still not sleeping during this period, then it would seem likely something else is keeping it awake. Are you sure you have not inadvertently set sentry mode to be on at the location where you are expecting it to sleep?

Also, I note another poster remarking their car not sleeping and at the same time having a very good wifi. The car cannot be in deep sleep with a wifi connection. In deep sleep, the only connection will be the pager portion of the phone connection.
Thank you, @Flatbat!

First time to hear that WiFi is bad for sleep. My WiFi is unstable as the router is in the car, and it is just a USB stick powered from the ODB2 port. No, my car doesn't sleep for months, and sentry is always OFF.

After coming back home, I unregistered WiFi and now the car is still not sleeping for three sleep attempts.

Tomorrow, I will see if it changes something to remove USB from the car (for dashcam and music).

@Flatbat, I removed WiFi settings and a USB stick from the car. For more than two days, my car didn't sleep at all - except, one time, my car reported offline status right after the charge, and it lasted one hour and 11 minutes since I configured TeslaFi to consider "offline" as "asleep."

@Watts_Up, in my experience, the car tends to repeat short sleep when there's a software update coming.

Thank you, @Flatbat!

First time to hear that WiFi is bad for sleep.
WiFi is not bad for sleep per se. It should not prevent it sleeping. What I meant is when your car is observed to be connected to wifi it will not be asleep. So someones comment about having an excellent wifi should have not bearing on determining if the car can sleep. Just that is not in deep sleep when wifi is active.
When it is in deep sleep, the only connection active should be gsm without data.

I have a Model 3 and it loses less than 1% charge a day when asleep & ~4% a day when idling with sentry active. Given yours is not sleeping, how much charge loss per day are you seeing? Nothing else plugged in to your OBD2 port that could be keeping it awake?