Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know. It's also on the last drive. (if you had any that day), but I'm lazy to hunt for it. It seems like a prominent enough info that might warrant going onto the top. But that's just IMHO. If @Jdeck disagrees, I won't be upset :)
I do want to save some room up there for quick control actions in the future like lock/unlock, temperature control and such without cluttering things up. What about adding it below the summary tables on the right side of the page?

I do want to save some room up there for quick control actions in the future like lock/unlock, temperature control and such without cluttering things up. What about adding it below the summary tables on the right side of the page?

I like the quick controls idea, but if there's a lot of them they might deserve it's own page. The problem with placing current ODO on the right, is that currently I think only that day's summary is there, and it's not even present on most other screns (like calendar, etc..). At the end of the day I'll defer to you in terms of screen placement and not consuming the valuable real-estate, but to me it seems more natural on the top-summary part.

Could we tweak the sleep setting options to make them location specific (or have a location-specific override)? I would love to code in my grocery store stop to be
1 - Do NOT go to sleep
2 - Leave aircon on for X minutes after exit

Also, a group of us do Sunday dinners at a friends house. I would love to put "Do NOT go to sleep" in there since we all normally head out around 11 pm and otherwise, I have my settings to engage sleep at 10 pm. I would rather override that one location than change my settings to start sleep at 11:30 pm all week for the Sunday scenario.

I would also like to see tweaks to the sleep settings, as my car is seeing significant vampire drain with TeslaFi constantly polling.

In my TeslaFi settings, I have the Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode option enabled with 11pm to 7am, but there are zero hours recorded.

I realize that with the way the code is currently written, I need to have Always Connected unchecked in the car. However this makes it unbearable to use the mobile app as I often check it and want to send it commands quickly.

With VisibleTesla, sleep mode simply reduces the polling time from 4 minutes to about 33 minutes.

Can TeslaFi do the same thing during the scheduled hours specified, and keep the current code for "regular" sleep?

(PS: I've tried to quit VisibleTesla for several days to see if TeslaFi would record any sleep hours, but no luck..)

I would also like to see tweaks to the sleep settings, as my car is seeing significant vampire drain with TeslaFi constantly polling.

In my TeslaFi settings, I have the Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode option enabled with 11pm to 7am, but there are zero hours recorded.

I realize that with the way the code is currently written, I need to have Always Connected unchecked in the car. However this makes it unbearable to use the mobile app as I often check it and want to send it commands quickly.

With VisibleTesla, sleep mode simply reduces the polling time from 4 minutes to about 33 minutes.

Can TeslaFi do the same thing during the scheduled hours specified, and keep the current code for "regular" sleep?

(PS: I've tried to quit VisibleTesla for several days to see if TeslaFi would record any sleep hours, but no luck..)
Hey Marc, I tested this extensively a month or so ago and for it to minimize vampire loss you MUST have both TeslaFi Sleep Mode and Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode checked and Always Connected unchecked. Yes I agree it takes 15 or so seconds to wake up with the app (less with Remote S because you can manually wake it) but the benefit is I only lose maybe 2 miles (less than 1%) per night. I'd prefer your suggestion of configurable polling and keep Always Connected checked but I can see this might be problematic with tracking drives. Looking forward to James response.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan and MarcG
James,

I know that this is not the primary objective of TeslaFi, but now that evmote is dead, it would be great if you could add IFTTT integration. More specifically, allow someone to use the IFTTT Maker channel to "call" TeslaFi via a web request to (1) wake the car and (2) turn on HVAC.

Thanks!

Hey Marc, I tested this extensively a month or so ago and for it to minimize vampire loss you MUST have both TeslaFi Sleep Mode and Scheduled Nighttime Sleep Mode checked and Always Connected unchecked. Yes I agree it takes 15 or so seconds to wake up with the app (less with Remote S because you can manually wake it) but the benefit is I only lose maybe 2 miles (less than 1%) per night. I'd prefer your suggestion of configurable polling and keep Always Connected checked but I can see this might be problematic with tracking drives. Looking forward to James response.

Thanks Mike, appreciate the detailed response. On the concern re: loss of drives, I'm really not that worried about it since I rarely take a drive between 11pm and 7am. Worst case, I can change these values to a narrower timeframe.

James, what do you think about the idea of implementing a significantly reduced polling timeframe for te scheduled sleep hours? One option could be to make the polling time for those hours configurable.

Thanks as always for your feedback and hard work on this.

Could we tweak the sleep setting options to make them location specific (or have a location-specific override)? I would love to code in my grocery store stop to be
1 - Do NOT go to sleep

TeslaLog has that capability (draw a Polygon around where you park near your Grocery store, it shows you where, in the past, you have stopped nearby, to help you draw the geo-fence around side-street etc. that you might park in; then leave Climate on for, say,30 minutes).

I thought I'd raised it, and discussed with @Jdeck, in this thread before, but a quick search didn't find my post ...

Reactions: jvonbokel
TeslaLog has that capability (draw a Polygon around where you park near your Grocery store, it shows you where, in the past, you have stopped nearby, to help you draw the geo-fence around side-street etc. that you might park in; then leave Climate on for, say,30 minutes).

I thought I'd raised it, and discussed with @Jdeck, in this thread before, but a quick search didn't find my post ...

I recall reading your post. That is why I put #2 in there when I thought about just #1 and figured these two would go in hand-in-hand a bit. I haven't used TeslaLog, but I really like the was TeslaFi is set up and hope that James gets the opportunity to put some of these API enhancements. I would love to put in At 5:45 pm on my saved Work location to turn on preconditioning! :)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I like the quick controls idea, but if there's a lot of them they might deserve it's own page. The problem with placing current ODO on the right, is that currently I think only that day's summary is there, and it's not even present on most other screns (like calendar, etc..). At the end of the day I'll defer to you in terms of screen placement and not consuming the valuable real-estate, but to me it seems more natural on the top-summary part.
I condensed the temp readings into one section and added Odometer below that. Looks good?

Reactions: Vad42
1 - Do NOT go to sleep

Also, a group of us do Sunday dinners at a friends house. I would love to put "Do NOT go to sleep" in there since we all normally head out around 11 pm and otherwise, I have my settings to engage sleep at 10 pm. I would rather override that one location than change my settings to start sleep at 11:30 pm all week for the Sunday scenario.
I like the idea. I've added it as a feature request to the tracker - 0000170: Location Specific Sleep Options - TeslaFi Bug Tracker. It's a pretty good amount of work to the front end and the logger itself.

Thanks Mike, appreciate the detailed response. On the concern re: loss of drives, I'm really not that worried about it since I rarely take a drive between 11pm and 7am. Worst case, I can change these values to a narrower timeframe.

James, what do you think about the idea of implementing a significantly reduced polling timeframe for te scheduled sleep hours? One option could be to make the polling time for those hours configurable.

Thanks as always for your feedback and hard work on this.

I think the best thing to do would be just add another sleep mode that completely turns off polling for a set timeframe. This is pretty much what visibletesla did since you schedule the sleep mode (Understanding Sleep Mode). I can still check the car's status of online/asleep every minute without waking up the car or effecting it's ability to go to sleep. The big downside is that it can never check for anything else during this time like shift_state which would normally catch the start of a drive. So during the "deep sleep mode" I would probably have to add a button to the homepage to temporarily turn off "deep sleep mode" if you decided to go for a drive in the middle of the night. I'll add a ticket for it - 0000171: New Deep Sleep Mode - TeslaFi Bug Tracker.

Let me know if that sounds reasonable.

Reactions: msnow
James,

I know that this is not the primary objective of TeslaFi, but now that evmote is dead, it would be great if you could add IFTTT integration. More specifically, allow someone to use the IFTTT Maker channel to "call" TeslaFi via a web request to (1) wake the car and (2) turn on HVAC.

Thanks!
I'd love to add it but I would have to create an API first. I'll make a ticket for this as well. 0000172: IFTT Integration - TeslaFi Bug Tracker

I recall reading your post. That is why I put #2 in there when I thought about just #1 and figured these two would go in hand-in-hand a bit. I haven't used TeslaLog, but I really like the was TeslaFi is set up and hope that James gets the opportunity to put some of these API enhancements. I would love to put in At 5:45 pm on my saved Work location to turn on preconditioning! :)

@WannabeOwner I remember you bringing it up. I like the polygon around a location as well but I need to get more knowledgeable in google maps API before I can implement it.

I do want to put a scheduling system in place at some point and I can build locations into that as well.

Sooooo much to do.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Sooooo much to do

You do well to respond to the requests and discussion here every day ... I've "BTDTGTTS" ... an open forum does at least help with discovering which features are popular, and persuading anyone who is a lone-requestor that their feature has no merit! which does save some time. Time to employ a huge workforce based on the enormous cash mountain you have from subscriptions; venture capital injection and crow funding beckons, along with IPO ... and retirement :D in fact what my business partner always used to refer to as "Millionaire by Christmas" each time I came up with yet another hair-brained scheme!

For a one-man-band finding a way to manage, and balance that, is difficult.

I like the polygon around a location as well but I need to get more knowledgeable in google maps API before I can implement it

I expect your current "location-pin and radius" would do just fine for Version One. My only suggestion on that (unless it already exists) would be to allow the user to "move" the location-pin - otherwise if I park right at the edge of the supermarket car park the radius from that location-pin might not be ideal / representative.

I don't suppose Google already has a resource of business premises extent?

I would love to put in At 5:45 pm on my saved Work location to turn on preconditioning!

I'm somewhat sceptical about this sort of scheduling for the following reason, but I would appreciate other people's experiences

I tend to use Remote-S to put Heat on MAX shortly before getting into the car. Sometimes I'm then delayed leaving by 5, 10, ... 15 minutes. Doesn't seem to make any difference to the temperature in the car when I drive off - the act of opening the doors and trunk to get in / load luggage allows some heat out and the cold air in. The cabin is not freezing, but the heat-sink into the fabric of the car (which I had hoped for) does seems to happen., so I set off with the car at, what feels like, the same temperature regardless, so perhaps 5 minutes MAX is enough, and more achieves nothing (assuming the heat does not disapate quickly). Maybe you are fortunate enough to leave work / home at the same time every day, on the dot :)

I wonder, but haven't tried, whether 5 minutes MAX and then off would work - i.e. heat would not be lost, much, until the doors were opened. I have a temperature logging gadget, I will stick that in the car, turn on MAX for 5 minutes and then see how fast/slow the temperature-decay is. Might be that after 15 minutes there is not much difference and if that is the case then a scheduled temperature feature might well benefit from an "off" time (unless car has turned ON, or somesuch, in the meantime). Then there is the added complication of whether the car is on shore-power or battery - on shore-power it might be better to turn climate on (at preferred temperature) and leave it at that, whereas on battery maybe MAX for 5 minutes and then off would be better?

All these darn 1st World Problems ... :cool:

I think the best thing to do would be just add another sleep mode that completely turns off polling for a set timeframe. This is pretty much what visibletesla did since you schedule the sleep mode (Understanding Sleep Mode). I can still check the car's status of online/asleep every minute without waking up the car or effecting it's ability to go to sleep. The big downside is that it can never check for anything else during this time like shift_state which would normally catch the start of a drive. So during the "deep sleep mode" I would probably have to add a button to the homepage to temporarily turn off "deep sleep mode" if you decided to go for a drive in the middle of the night. I'll add a ticket for it - 0000171: New Deep Sleep Mode - TeslaFi Bug Tracker.

Sounds very reasonable, thank you so much!!

Hey James -

Two things.
1) I noticed today that starting at about 4:15 AM today my car woke up from scheduled sleep, went into idle mode and never attempted to go back in to sleep mode even though it was still within the scheduled timeframe. What is causing that?
2) I saw the verbiage in Settings on how you are planning to implement "Deep Sleep Mode" and noted that, in addition to what you said above, charging will not be polled which I assume means charging data (start/stop, SOC, charge %) will not be logged if it falls within the Deep Sleep Mode schedule. I also am interested to learn what the state of Always Connected will need to be and if it can be combined with the other sleep modes. If it's true that we won't be able to have logged charge data if in Deep Sleep, is there any other way to implement this such as just limiting the frequency of polling rather than turning it off completely? I am hoping there is.

I assume the UI got tweaked recently? Things didn't used to look misaligned for me.

IMG_3606.jpg
IMG_4280.jpg