Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw the note that today the API was down for almost two hours. However, I am confused on my first drive listed today. It says I started driving after the outage, I drove 24 miles in 9 minutes, and it has 100% Data Accuracy. Something cannot be right there, especially given that I actually made a stop along the way that is not reflected (though could have been in the outage window). Could you explain it a bit please @Jdeck ?
View attachment 215521
if you look at the raw data for the drive you'll see the lovely 'unknown' status for the first 9 minutes of the drive. The data accuracy indicates that it has obtained a data point at least one time per minute. Since there was no indication the drive started from the API until 3:41PM it is calculating the accuracy and starting time from that point on. It's using the last good data point from hours earlier to determine the starting milage.

I made a drive from Madison, WI to Rockford, IL and had a estimated soc of 2% left upon arrival. I made it to the supercharger with 1%. Unfortunately the API was out for the entire drive so I have no record of it. :-(. I was looking forward to recording my 240 wh/mile as it was probably my lowest long distance highway speed drive to date.

I'd like to make a request. Like HankLloydRight , I prefer having inefficiency displayed for most of my drives as it makes more sense to me how "poorly" I drove. However, when I do better than rated range, a negative inefficiency just feels wrong. Could we consider displaying those specific drives as a positive efficiency please?
View attachment 215336

When I used my own web app Logmysc.com to do this (via manual entry), I expressed the "inefficiency" as a percentage of Rated miles over Actual miles -- so 100% (in)efficient was perfect efficiency where rated=actual miles traveled, and 130% inefficient was 30% actual miles over rated, and say 80% inefficient was 20% actual under rated. Below is an example -- see the "Rated/Actual" column. You can see how the efficiency goes up alot with the average speed, as expected. (I drive pretty fast, so I rarely get under 100% rated to actual. ;) )

So perhaps this is a better way to present it (i.e. just add 100 to the number on Teslafi).

View attachment 215337

Does that work for you @Cyclone? My brain works best interpreting efficiency % so it's hard for me to provide input on this one. And it's rare that that I get over 100% efficiency as well. :)

if you look at the raw data for the drive you'll see the lovely 'unknown' status for the first 9 minutes of the drive. The data accuracy indicates that it has obtained a data point at least one time per minute. Since there was no indication the drive started from the API until 3:41PM it is calculating the accuracy and starting time from that point on. It's using the last good data point from hours earlier to determine the starting milage.

I made a drive from Madison, WI to Rockford, IL and had a estimated soc of 2% left upon arrival. I made it to the supercharger with 1%. Unfortunately the API was out for the entire drive so I have no record of it. :-(. I was looking forward to recording my 240 wh/mile as it was probably my lowest long distance highway speed drive to date.

Yeah, I had my first drive today missing, too, but it seems like it partially captured the two data points towards the end of my second drive. It looks like the sleep session prior to the next recorded drive session has range loss which includes that mileage.

@Jdeck, I noticed that 0000091: Drive Started When Polling Disabled Counts as Range Loss in Previous Idle Session - TeslaFi Feature Request Tracker was listed as open. I created it when I first ran into this issue (prior to you getting the email notifications to where they are now). I suspect with the occasional API outages that happen, this ticket could be used to come up with a more automated way to sort through the data holes.

Does the site automatically note when the API is down and enter it into the top of the day view or are you manually noting that?

Yeah, I had my first drive today missing, too, but it seems like it partially captured the two data points towards the end of my second drive. It looks like the sleep session prior to the next recorded drive session has range loss which includes that mileage.

@Jdeck, I noticed that 0000091: Drive Started When Polling Disabled Counts as Range Loss in Previous Idle Session - TeslaFi Feature Request Tracker was listed as open. I created it when I first ran into this issue (prior to you getting the email notifications to where they are now). I suspect with the occasional API outages that happen, this ticket could be used to come up with a more automated way to sort through the data holes.

Does the site automatically note when the API is down and enter it into the top of the day view or are you manually noting that?

I can look into a solution but I can't tell of a way to do this off the top of my head, other than say if odometer has changed more than x miles don't include the range/kWh loss in the previous state. In essence make the range/Kwh loss 0 for that previous state but not accurate either. If you look at the data points for your sleep session it shows the starting point and the ending point with the sleep session between. There's not much to try to correct other than ignore the final data point.

I enter the notes manually. I setup the error handling in the data logger to email me when multiple connection timeouts occur such as today. I could automate the whole process but it only really occurs every few months so it hasn't been worth the time scripting it versus typing the note. I also noticed it was down today before I checked my email. I plugged into the supercharger, took the dog out to do his business and put him back in. We were going to grab lunch and I usually put the A/C on and leave him in the car, but I received a 'server error' on the app and couldn't set the temperature. We settled for fast food vs a nice lunch at the restaurant/brewery next to the supercharger.

I don't know if it was rebooting the car, turning off deep sleep mode, or a combination of both but it is finally working again. I turned on deep sleep mode because I thought Teslab was causing the car to not sleep as frequently.
The raw data shows the same 'unknown' state that we've been seeing lately on Friday from 11:29 to 3:09 for your vehicle. It was probably the reboot of the car that corrected it. I would suspect that it's a software issue if a reboot corrects it every time, but it's occurring over a few software versions so it doesn't appear to be the case. Hopefully today's 'reboot' of the API over there clears things up. It's not a widespread issue but it is happing much more than usual.

Does that work for you @Cyclone? My brain works best interpreting efficiency % so it's hard for me to provide input on this one. And it's rare that that I get over 100% efficiency as well. :)

Hard to say. I'm thinking I may just switch back to the efficiency view for a bit and see how that jives with me. When I talk to people about the car, I say that "I get 10% worse than the EPA rating much of the time, but 30-30% worse in cold weather is not crazy. If I pay attention and not go over 60 (much), I can even do 10% better than the EPA". The current setup could just work for that and I mentally strip off the double negative for a positive efficiency.

Didn't the daily summary used to stay to the right hand side and not the bottom?

IMG_5363.PNG

Minor bug report: Clicking the notepad icon beside a drive or clicking Save under a Drive (e.g. when adding a label) scrolls the page to the top, so if you are going through the drives to add labels to them, you have to keep scrolling down to get to the next one.
I'll look into ways to make this more user friendly. I'll also work on bulk tagging as well.

Does TeslaFi.com continue to connect to my car after the subscription expires?
I could not see any new data as my sub expired (before I bought one). So my educated guess would be "no".
If you do not like it to still connect just delete the token or change tesla password.

No, when the subscription expires it turns off all logging for the vehicle. Like @Nietschy said you can delete the token from TeslaFi as well.

Yes, I changed it to display on the bottom on mobile devices. Let me know if you don't like it. I could always make it an option to select.

Oh, I like the idea of an option. Not so much that I don't mind it being at the bottom (though preferred it to the side), but now it has such wide columns to display such little data. Another option would be to combine it into one more detailed table, but that might diverge too much from how you have thinks on desktops.

Btw, while we are at it, I would love a way to turn off my odometer from this view. I take screenshots on post them in other discussions and would prefer not to disclose my odometer reading. I know how to select/hide fields in the raw data, but do we have such options in the daily views?
IMG_5381.jpg

I would love a way to turn off my odometer from this view.

The map (and any Lat/Long) bother me when I post a screen shot, no wish for wannabe-stalkers to even know the locality where I drive - I just paste the image into an image editor and draw a box over it. Thus I'm not sure that all such eventualities can be easily accommodated? ... but of course, if they can that would be great :)

I really would like a charging reminder. I would like to be able to set the time it reminds me (for me it is after 11:00pm energy is cheapest) and be able to set the battery threshold it reminds me at (for me when the battery is under 60% charge). I would like a text message when both these conditions are met. I know other services offer this but I only want to use Teslafi. Any chance this can be added?

Reactions: skialpine
I really would like a charging reminder

I'd prefer that the "reminder service" just charge the car, rather than alert me. i.e. I'll plug it in but it will only charge as-and-when needed, where "needed" is determines according to where I have to drive next. For some people that will be a regular drive-to-work unless told otherwise, my journeys are a bit more unpredictable - yes drive to work, but many days drive-direct-to-client instead. Weekends could be stay-at-home or head-off-on-trip.

I'd like to set a Min/Max charge required for tomorrow and my departure time. I'd like the charging to start as soon as Off Peak starts, provided that Min Charge will be achieved by departure time, otherwise start sooner. I'd then like Max Charge achieved by departure time (if time available) and Climate started shortly before departure. In winter this will mean that the battery is warm when I leave - no regen limit, etc. If the car is already at Min then it would charge to Max just in time for my departure.

If charging is interrupted / fails / power out / whatever I'd like an alert - e.g. Text to Phone - so I can try to do something about it rather than finding I have no charge when i come to leave.

The Phone APPs can't do this because a server-based system is required to send Start / Stop Charge and Climate commands to car at scheduled times. An ideal extension for TeslaFi ... hopefully?!! :cool:

I really would like a charging reminder. I would like to be able to set the time it reminds me (for me it is after 11:00pm energy is cheapest) and be able to set the battery threshold it reminds me at (for me when the battery is under 60% charge). I would like a text message when both these conditions are met. I know other services offer this but I only want to use Teslafi. Any chance this can be added?

I'd prefer that the "reminder service" just charge the car, rather than alert me. i.e. I'll plug it in but it will only charge as-and-when needed, where "needed" is determines according to where I have to drive next. For some people that will be a regular drive-to-work unless told otherwise, my journeys are a bit more unpredictable - yes drive to work, but many days drive-direct-to-client instead. Weekends could be stay-at-home or head-off-on-trip.

I'd like to set a Min/Max charge required for tomorrow and my departure time. I'd like the charging to start as soon as Off Peak starts, provided that Min Charge will be achieved by departure time, otherwise start sooner. I'd then like Max Charge achieved by departure time (if time available) and Climate started shortly before departure. In winter this will mean that the battery is warm when I leave - no regen limit, etc. If the car is already at Min then it would charge to Max just in time for my departure.

If charging is interrupted / fails / power out / whatever I'd like an alert - e.g. Text to Phone - so I can try to do something about it rather than finding I have no charge when i come to leave.

The Phone APPs can't do this because a server-based system is required to send Start / Stop Charge and Climate commands to car at scheduled times. An ideal extension for TeslaFi ... hopefully?!! :cool:

I've actually wanted a combination of these two. I want a reminder that kicks of at XYZ time if my battery level is below ABC %. Additionally, I would love if TeslaFi had the option to override my scheduled charge (at 7 am) and turn on charging immediately or at a prescribed time when my battery is below ABC %. If I must choose between these, I would rather the former than the later. I have at times plugged in the car and forgotten to hit "Charge Now", but more often I've just forgotten to plug in altogether.