Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi.com

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off topic - May I ask, what is the benefit of turning off energy savings?
I personally always on energy saving, but the benefits of turning it off are:
1. No time lag when starting the car. If you approach the car, open the door, get in and start driving, there's no time lag so you can start driving right away.
2. Apps quick to connect. When opening the app while the car is parked, your app can connect to the car in seconds. If you turn energy saving on, it could take a few minutes.

1. No time lag when starting the car. If you approach the car, open the door, get in and start driving, there's no time lag so you can start driving right away.
2. Apps quick to connect. When opening the app while the car is parked, your app can connect to the car in seconds. If you turn energy saving on, it could take a few minutes.

And in exchange for those awesome benefits all it costs you is a few extra miles of vampire drain per day (instead of 286 miles of range I have at worst 278 if the car sat all day, which is still more than enough for my 45 mile round trip commute). If I'm ever going to take a longer trip where range is really important, I just make sure to top off the car an hour before leaving.

Thanks! Found it.... it says -62, but I'm not sure how to interpret that? I was hoping it would be something easy to understand like Wh/mile lol.
Sorry,overlooked your question. That field is actually easy to interpret, it's power usage in kW; negative values mean adding power to the car (charging or recuperative braking), positive values are mostly power spent on driving.
(idle power use is below 1 kW, so it gets displayed as 0.

Sorry,overlooked your question. That field is actually easy to interpret, it's power usage in kW; negative values mean adding power to the car (charging or recuperative braking), positive values are mostly power spent on driving.
(idle power use is below 1 kW, so it gets displayed as 0.
Thanks! so if I understand correctly: at the time of the poll he was going 66mph but he had his foot off of the accelerator pedal and was essentially coasting since the power was -62kWh. So he was likely going faster than 66mph prior to that poll.

People might be mixing up two Power Management settings. I think the "Always Connected" setting, when checked, is the one that allows for quick connection to connect via the mobile app.

Reactions: hybridbear
People might be mixing up two Power Management settings. I think the "Always Connected" setting, when checked, is the one that allows for quick connection to connect via the mobile app.
I think you're right. I have Energy Saving On & the Always Connected box is checked. My car will sometimes be a bit slow to boot up when I get in. I checked the Always Connected box because early on my car would completely lose its connection to the app on occasion. Checking Always Connected has resolved this. It was very frustrating to completely lose app connectivity.

I love all these 3rd party apps etc but I have to admit, as an IT geek that deals with security a lot they scare the CRAP out me. Giving an app access to my cars location and a token to potentially unlock and drive it away just seems like a REALLY bad idea.
I can certainly relate :)
Just a small correction though: while you are giving an app access to your location and the ability to change car settings, the token is not enough to unlock the car and drive away.
The API call to start the car for keyless driving requires the password in addition to the token.
The way to actually tackle this would be to make the API official, give out application IDs for 3rd party apps and allow fine-grained setting of access for these apps; at the very least a seperate app id that only allows read access would be a start.

I love all these 3rd party apps etc but I have to admit, as an IT geek that deals with security a lot they scare the CRAP out me. Giving an app access to my cars location and a token to potentially unlock and drive it away just seems like a REALLY bad idea.
I'm an IT Security exec and like you I asked both James (TeslaFi) and Allen Wong (Remote S) a lot of questions before moving forward. To begin with, a token isn't enough to drive your car away you would need a password or TouchID (for Remote S) to do that. Secondly, neither of them store your encrypted token anywhere on their servers, it's just used as a passthrough to Tesla for authentication. Finally they both have their servers at well known commercial data centers with very good perimeter security. Still though it's good to ask questions. To be honest, I worry more about Tesla's security and what kind of resources they dedicate to protect our information but that's another story. :)

Anyone else have their access token suddenly disappear from TeslaFi? TeslaFi reports that it suddenly has no token for my car and is isn't recording any data anymore.

This happened to me almost 2 weeks ago, but I think it was because I forgot to update the token before it expired.

However, unless it went unnoticed into my spam folder, I did not get any reminder emails in the week before the token expired. I vaguely remember getting multiple reminders to refresh the token the other times that my token was about to expire.

This happened to me almost 2 weeks ago, but I think it was because I forgot to update the token before it expired.

However, unless it went unnoticed into my spam folder, I did not get any reminder emails in the week before the token expired. I vaguely remember getting multiple reminders to refresh the token the other times that my token was about to expire.
I had my token expire recently. I seem to recall the last time I got a friendly reminder e-mail prior to expiration through TeslaFi.com but don't remember seeing one this time.