Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi missing trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else recently had an issue where teslafi has stopped recording journeys? I did 2 trips yesterday both over an hour (around 70miles) neather have showed up on teslafi. It recorded my trips last week without issue and I have changed nothing.

It sometimes misses short trips, but if it stops recording long trips, its kinda pointless for me.

I've only done two trips since 2020.20.x and it got both trips, but started one of them later than it should have.

I just checked the drive and it had logged several minutes of "API Error - Data Request Timeout" that would have explained the missed start and probably a few random minutes of data points during the journey. I must admit, occurrences of timeouts seem to have become much more frequent, possibly an indicator that Teslas servers are not coping with the number of API requests. I would imagine that they hate data loggers such as TeslaFi etc.

May be worth checking your logs during the times of the journey to see what TeslaFi was actually logging.

Last edited:
I'm just coming to the end of my trial on TeslaFi, and I have seen quite a few delayed starts and "API Error - Data Request Timeout" comments in there.

Wasn't sure if this was just 'how it was' or something else - seems like it is unusual?

seems like it is unusual?

It should not be happening, but getting less unusual. But we do know that Tesla recently changed their network infrastructure, so hopefully just a blip.

I've just done a random check of near identical drives, and unexplained (ie not from entering underground car park, or whilst waking up) Timeout occurrences before February were pretty rare. Unfortunately, little data since March so its not an exhaustive check.

Looking at the Raw data (Didnt know i could do that). It was trying to go to sleep, which it was clearly not going to do while the car was driving. I did raise a support ticket with Teslafi.

It stops polling the car, and if you start a drive during the polling pause you won't capture anything until the pause stops.

You can have a quick check before you set off and if in a sleep attempt pause kick the polling off again before setting off.