Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi or Not? That is the Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFi - absolutely. As someone mentioned above I didn't start when I first got my car - it was over a month and I would have loved to have this data!

In addition to tracking usage for drives, charges, idles, etc it will calculate your charging costs and savings over gas.

Another new feature is you can enable sentry mode per location or at all locations so you don't need to manually enable it in the car before you exit.

You get a two week free trial - worth it! If you use my referral code: bsietz you get an extra two weeks, however in all fairness you may PM one of the others who spoke up before me to get their referral code.

-Brian
TeslaFi - absolutely. As someone mentioned above I didn't start when I first got my car - it was over a month and I would have loved to have this data!

In addition to tracking usage for drives, charges, idles, etc it will calculate your charging costs and savings over gas.

Another new feature is you can enable sentry mode per location or at all locations so you don't need to manually enable it in the car before you exit.

You get a two week free trial - worth it! If you use my referral code: bsietz you get an extra two weeks, however in all fairness you may PM one of the others who spoke up before me to get their referral code.

-Brian

I decided to subscribe for the trail and used a referral code in this discussion. The trail must be a month plus two additional weeks for the referral.

Created On: September 14, 2019, 7:42 AM
Expires On: October 29, 2019, 7:42 AM (1 Month 14 Days)

I decided to subscribe for the trail and used a referral code in this discussion. The trail must be a month plus two additional weeks for the referral.

Created On: September 14, 2019, 7:42 AM
Expires On: October 29, 2019, 7:42 AM (1 Month 14 Days)

Nice. I believe it used to be 2+2, so 4+2 is nice.

It's been awhile since I have commented on here, but just to update my own thoughts: I'm now a double subscriber, for our 3 and X. TeslaFi relatively recently added support for multiple vehicles, which I find pretty useful. Things like the calendar and lifetime map can be configured to show both cars, giving a simple way to see the combined household efficiency/usage stats.

• Informative
Reactions: TomB985
Just started using Teslafi for first time with M3. Only setting change I’ve made so far was Enabled Deep Sleep from 9pm to 6am local time. Also checked box for: Do not check the vehicle state during Deep Sleep Mode. Is that sufficient to prevent vampire drain?

Here are my Sleep settings for our 3:

Screenshot_20190915-173211.png Screenshot_20190915-173236.png

Been using Teslafi for a couple of months and it is handy but not essential.

Question is whether Teslafi is increasing the amount of system logging, and especially on older MCU1 cars, will contribute to the early demise of the eMMC memory.

Been using Teslafi for a couple of months and it is handy but not essential.

Question is whether Teslafi is increasing the amount of system logging, and especially on older MCU1 cars, will contribute to the early demise of the eMMC memory.

It is not. Aside from control commands, TeslaFi interacts with the Tesla servers via API calls, not with the vehicle directly.

Thanks you guys have convinced me. Have gone a head and purchased a subscription to Teslafi. Those other alternatives do not meet my needs. Telsafi has a good feature set and I found it very simple to setup and use with my M3.

So adding to @MikeATL 's earlier list of reasons to use TeslaFi:
  • Understanding energy use and recharging times on long Supercharger trips. Informative and highly useful if you make the same road trips regularly.
  • Knowing when the car is awake vs asleep. Useful if you’re using Sentry Mode often or if the car is often left unplugged for long periods of time.
  • Tracking the energy used to charge the car if you want to understand and track the costs of charging.
  • Tracking mileage if you need it for business or tax reimbursement.
  • Tracking the car if used by other people (i.e. kids)
  • Reminders if you leave the car unlocked or not connected to the charger.
  • Set Sentry mode on a per location basis
  • Track battery degradation
  • Monitor quality of home charging at different properties.
  • Easy to setup
  • Keep a record of all your trips and where your car has been.
  • Continually available and no need to connect a device to car to access the info.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Will go by your list.
So adding to @MikeATL 's earlier list of reasons to use TeslaFi:
  • Understanding energy use and recharging times on long Supercharger trips. Informative and highly useful if you make the same road trips regularly.
If you do regular supercharging trips you will know how much you charge by the 3rd trip by heart. Also abetterrouteplanner.com can do that better than you will ever be able to.

• Knowing when the car is awake vs asleep. Useful if you’re using Sentry Mode often or if the car is often left unplugged for long periods of time.
Simple. If you use sentry mode - car is on, if it is off, unless you use apps like TeslaFi - the car is sleeping. 99% of the problems with cars being awake, TeslaFi or similiar apps are the cause.
Also - just open the Tesla app - if it is saying waking up - then the car is sleeping. TeslaFi is actually contra productive here as more often than not it is the cause of wake ups.
  • Tracking the energy used to charge the car if you want to understand and track the costs of charging.
If you charge on Superchargers - you have this information detailed for you by Tesla, If you charge other places - they have payment systems too. If you charge at home - install a meter for the car plug (very cheap) or just reset a monthly kWh meter on the trip meter in the car.
  • Tracking mileage if you need it for business or tax reimbursement.
That might be something useful, not sure how useful will be something like this in your country - wether the IRS uses such information.
  • Track battery degradation
Not accurate and misleading - the OBD II adapter for about 50$ will give you way more access to the battery. TeslaFi just does basic calculation, but doesn't tell you anything about the state of the cells, temperature or battery degradation - real battery degrataion in kWh!
  • Monitor quality of home charging at different properties.
Why? You set the charger and see how fast it charged - then you do basic math kW*hours or hours/kW
If at some point you see deviation you can do the math again.

• Easy to setup
  • Keep a record of all your trips and where your car has been.
Privacy issue here is huge.

• Continually available and no need to connect a device to car to access the info.
Get's me back to the waking up the car issue for the logging - which ends up eating more kWh than it is beneficial for.

I don't think I can sway you out of doing it, but for anyone reading that - hopefuly you will decide against it!

• Love
Reactions: Arctic_White