Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi or Not? That is the Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally I'm not comfortable with giving my Tesla username/password, or an access token to any 3rd party site.

It's not that I don't trust the people running TeslaFi, it's that there's a danger of their site being breached, as we've seen with hundreds of other sites in the last few years. After that, depending upon how their internal systems are setup, the attacker could get location data for lots of cars, and in the worst case, the ability to remotely unlock them.

I was worried as well, but decided the information provided is just too interesting. Also, this page Security - TeslaFi.com regarding security comforted me. Using AWS for the primary data store should be very secure. Not that there aren't potential issues, but they appear to take security seriously.

"At TeslaFi we take security very seriously and continue to look for opportunities to make improvements.

Below if a summary of how TeslaFi obtains and secures the data that it collects.

Hosting:

"

Reactions: JBT66
BUMP. Waiting for delivery of a 2021Model 3 LR in the next two weeks? Any new recommendations for info software? All I want is to accurately track the cost of electricity coming from the Tesla Wall Connector into the battery.

I had TeslaFi originally. Now I use the Stats app on iOS. It gives me the ability to track my charging costs, battery degradation, plus lots of other things. It also provides more remote controls of the car than the Tesla app does, and scheduled warm ups/cool downs, etc. Finally, it's a simple one time cost of $40 vs. a monthly fee and all in an iPhone app vs. having to log in from an internet browser.

This all assumes you have an iPhone. It's not available on Android.

BUMP. Waiting for delivery of a 2021Model 3 LR in the next two weeks? Any new recommendations for info software? All I want is to accurately track the cost of electricity coming from the Tesla Wall Connector into the battery.

And for a counter point, you likely want to at least read and consider a thread one of our members started here about their digging into the API and the risks of any third party app.

PSA: Don't use third-party apps and services, period.

Everyone needs to make their own decision, but it should be done with as much information as possible.

I wouldnt hold my breath on tesla doing anything like that. If you want that data, especially in some form of automated collection, you likely need to consider one of these type apps (like teslafi, states, teslamate, etc). Lots of people use them.

I personally dont, especially after reading the information from @camalaio on the topic, but to be clear, this is a choice that everyone needs to make their own decision on this type of thing, and whatever decision they make is the right one for them.

If all you're looking for is energy tracking, use a dedicated energy meter. Services like TeslaFi cannot track actual energy usage super accurately, and miss out on some things too.

I don't know your charging setup. If it's just a normal 120V outlet, then something like a Kill-A-Watt will do nicely. Otherwise there are other power meters (can be found on Amazon for example) that are surprisingly cheap, certainly cheaper than a multi-year TeslaFi subscription and without the downsides of my thread that was linked.

And for a counter point, you likely want to at least read and consider a thread one of our members started here about their digging into the API and the risks of any third party app.

PSA: Don't use third-party apps and services, period.

Everyone needs to make their own decision, but it should be done with as much information as possible.

:)

If all you're looking for is energy tracking, use a dedicated energy meter. Services like TeslaFi cannot track actual energy usage super accurately, and miss out on some things too.

I don't know your charging setup. If it's just a normal 120V outlet, then something like a Kill-A-Watt will do nicely. Otherwise there are other power meters (can be found on Amazon for example) that are surprisingly cheap, certainly cheaper than a multi-year TeslaFi subscription and without the downsides of my thread that was linked.

:)

To be fair, none of the "downsides" that you allude to in that thread have been realized by anyone using a 3rd party app that we know of.

Which makes sense since businesses that are making money tend to like to stay in the business of making money. Selling log-in data or using it nefariously on their own is a death sentence for any of these companies as soon as the word gets out (and world ALWAYS gets out).

I supposed they could be hacked, but so could Tesla and Tesla has been hacked before. Either way, that's going to be public info very quickly too.

To be fair, none of the "downsides" that you allude to in that thread have been realized by anyone using a 3rd party app that we know of.

Which makes sense since businesses that are making money tend to like to stay in the business of making money. Selling log-in data or using it nefariously on their own is a death sentence for any of these companies as soon as the word gets out (and world ALWAYS gets out).

I supposed they could be hacked, but so could Tesla and Tesla has been hacked before. Either way, that's going to be public info very quickly too.

Actually, there was a leak a few months ago. That's all I will say. The fact you don't know about it is intentional, and a huge part of the point I was making in that thread - these things can and do happen without your knowledge, all the time.

Few such events ever get virally public. Fact is, corporations and even individuals don't care what happens. All your can do is try to protect what you hold, and the decision is yours to make if that's worth it.

Last edited:
Actually, there was a leak a few months ago. That's all I can say. The fact you don't know about it is intentional, and a huge part of the point I was making in that thread - these things can and do happen without your knowledge, all the time.

Well how can I argue with that? An assertion made with zero evidence provided. I mean I'd like to take you at your word, but you are indeed a stranger on the internet, which you warned us about in the other thread. ;)

Few such events ever get virally public. Fact is, corporations and even individuals don't care what happens. All your can do is try to protect what you hold, and the decision is yours to make if that's worth it.

They do when they actually start to affect users, which is the concern here, no?

Well how can I argue with that? An assertion made with zero evidence provided. I mean I'd like to take you at your word, but you are indeed a stranger on the internet, which you warned us about in the other thread. ;)

Yes, absolutely! I don't have a stake in swaying your opinion, and I have some good reasons to not disclose who or how. This isn't my first rodeo in data ethics, and I know there are lines I can't cross without getting more involved than I currently care to. For that, I'm actually a bit sorry. This incident just isn't one of the many hills I'd happily die on :p

They do when they actually start to affect users, which is the concern here, no?

No, they don't. Honestly, I'm not sure how to phrase this without sounding like a lunatic. I get your perspective. If such problems are rampant, why don't we hear about them more?

I'll go back to my point in the linked thread: the worst thing someone with this sort of access could do is reveal they have that access because that may result in the loss of their access. Derived products are better for this reason - behavioural data, etc.

It would take a gray hat individual to do something like taking all the tokens to turn the climate control to max for everyone all at once, or unlock the cars all at once - someone that didn't care about the consequences, but wanted to pull a funny move just for the heck of it. Anyone with actual motivations will be a heck of a lot more careful, whether that's derived products or targeting certain people.

At the end of the day, maybe I'm just a lunatic after all. That's absolutely possible.

I'll encourage that this conversation is picked up in the linked thread if you'd like to continue, but I'd mostly just be re-stating what's already written now.

EDIT: Side note. This is why documentaries like "The Social Dilemma" are both spot on and incredibly annoying. They're painting a picture of the (related) problem, but in a sensationalized way that you'd be forgiven for disapproving of.

Yes, absolutely! I don't have a stake in swaying your opinion, and I have some good reasons to not disclose who or how. This isn't my first rodeo in data ethics, and I know there are lines I can't cross without getting more involved than I currently care to. For that, I'm actually a bit sorry. This incident just isn't one of the many hills I'd happily die on :p

No, they don't. Honestly, I'm not sure how to phrase this without sounding like a lunatic. I get your perspective. If such problems are rampant, why don't we hear about them more?

I'll go back to my point in the linked thread: the worst thing someone with this sort of access could do is reveal they have that access because that may result in the loss of their access. Derived products are better for this reason - behavioural data, etc.

It would take a gray hat individual to do something like taking all the tokens to turn the climate control to max for everyone all at once, or unlock the cars all at once - someone that didn't care about the consequences, but wanted to pull a funny move just for the heck of it. Anyone with actual motivations will be a heck of a lot more careful, whether that's derived products or targeting certain people.

At the end of the day, maybe I'm just a lunatic after all. That's absolutely possible.

I'll encourage that this conversation is picked up in the linked thread if you'd like to continue, but I'd mostly just be re-stating what's already written now.

EDIT: Side note. This is why documentaries like "The Social Dilemma" are both spot on and incredibly annoying. They're painting a picture of the (related) problem, but in a sensationalized way that you'd be forgiven for disapproving of.

I'll reply in the other thread.

Back to the original post, power is from a Tesla Wall Connector. Forgive the newbie questions. If it has desmodromic valves I know what to do, electrons; not so much.
So there is no way to see the amount of power consumed from the information on the touch screen?

Not really, no. A couple reasons:
  • The trip meter tells you battery energy consumption, but only while the car is in Drive. Preheating etc. won't be counted in the trip meter.
  • There are charging losses. There's some losses in the conversion from AC to DC power, then there's overhead to run the pumps etc. while charging. This results in a difference in energy from the wall vs. what energy was actually added to the battery (always more from the wall). The car only ever reports net energy added to the battery (i.e. is unaware how much AC energy was used).
If you have known behaviours and storage conditions, you can make a very good guess from the trip meter alone (basically educated guess on what standby, charging losses, etc. will be) but this is more for a ballpark estimate than knowing how much energy was truly used.