Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi shows capacity leapt back up to original range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LukeT

Apr 9, 2019
UK
Looking at my teslafi battery degradation report, it shows a sudden jump back up to original range.

Screenshot_20200904-193146_Chrome.jpg

It looks like this happened round about update 2020.24 or 2020.28 in early July.

Is this a common observation? Is it an improvement in car efficiency improving Wh/mile, no change in reality but a change in their consumption assumptions or calculation method, a releasing of some battery capacity or something else?

I do recall something about an increase in range for Ravens but had thought this was small hardware changes on later cars, and mine's an early (for the UK) Raven Model S.

Looking at my teslafi battery degradation report, it shows a sudden jump back up to original range.

View attachment 584385

It looks like this happened round about update 2020.24 or 2020.28 in early July.

Is this a common observation? Is it an improvement in car efficiency improving Wh/mile, no change in reality but a change in their consumption assumptions or calculation method, a releasing of some battery capacity or something else?

I do recall something about an increase in range for Ravens but had thought this was small hardware changes on later cars, and mine's an early (for the UK) Raven Model S.
No not here on Model 3 with 30k miles.

I believe you can click somewhere too and it’ll tell you which firmware was running, so can link pre and post the jump to firmware changes.

But have you suddenly stopped using sentry mode? How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity EDIT: that might be linked to Model 3 only

...But have you suddenly stopped using sentry mode? How I Recovered Half of my Battery's Lost Capacity EDIT: that might be linked to Model 3 only

No I don't think I've changed anything at all. Rarely use sentry mode but it is still set to turn on when parked away from set locations.

Teslafi's battery report has been all over the place for me. Not sure I put much trust in it.

Interesting. For me though the graph has been pretty consistent except for this and if it is somewhere near right at towards 4% down after only 20k I think it warrants a look every few months. There's also this thing around rebalancing the cells and perhaps I did that somehow. That would be a nice outcome, if my "degradation" was entirely just temporarily unbalanced cells. Somehow I doubt it though.

Didn't the Raven get a battery range increase firmware update? Not sure if it was all, or just some version of battery packs.

If you hover over the graph data points, it should tell you the version that was active at time of charge.

Ah ha. Thanks. Turns out my 2020.24 was so short-lived it gave no teslafi range datapoints, so could still be either update. I guess this is the range increase update I got then, for which c.12 miles additional range sounds about right. Not clear to me what they changed though to achieve that. Something around motor use when cruising or regen maybe? I did think a recent (ish) update had increased regen power or sped up its delivery.

On the (rather questionable looking) teslafi beta where it shows average for the fleet as well, I was worse than average before, and would still be if the jump was discarded, which I guess it should be for such things. Anecdotally I read 10-15 mile range loss to be expected in the first few months, but teslafi beta graph suggests fleet does better than that.