Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi Sleep Setting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TeslaFi sleep settings did not initially make sense to me. When I finally puzzled them out, this is how I was able to explain it. Hopefully this explanation also helps others who may be confused:

1. While in Idle...
  2. ...will poll vehicle 1/min (the Polling Time While Idle value) [polling will prevent the vehicle from sleeping]
  3. …for this period of time: Idle Time Before Trying To Sleep (30 m)
  4. After this time has expired, will NOT poll vehicle for period of time: Time To Try Sleeping (15 m)
  5. … in an attempt to let the car sleep [stopping polling give the cat the opportunity to sleep]
  6. If detect car is asleep, then will not poll, but will continue to check if it is asleep
  7. If detect car did not fall asleep, Go back to step 1
  8. If car awakes from sleep, go back to step 1
The above is true when NOT in Nighttime TeslaFi Sleep Mode or Deep Sleep Mode

Maybe I did not explain it as well as I had hoped.

Here is an example
- Drive one hour, then park
- Start 30 minute timer
- poll 1/min
- Car remains idle (cannot sleep b/c it is being polled)
- Expire 30 minute timer
- Start 15 minute timer
- Pause polling
- Car falls asleep
- Polling discontinued until car wakes up

Please let me know how I can make the steps in the OP more clear

Maybe I did not explain it as well as I had hoped.

Here is an example
- Drive one hour, then park
- Start 30 minute timer
- poll 1/min
- Car remains idle (cannot sleep b/c it is being polled)
- Expire 30 minute timer
- Start 15 minute timer
- Pause polling
- Car falls asleep
- Polling discontinued until car wakes up

Please let me know how I can make the steps in the OP more clear

This is very clear to me.
But in my case, on my own model 3, the test I did is the following:
- drive 1 hour
- poll GET /vehicle (this API endpoint does not wake up the car but give the sleeping state), 1/min
- the car falls asleep after 2 hours

I precise I don't have Teslafi configured or any other application polling the API.

It is totally possible to configure TeslaFi so that your car sleeps. There are other reasons why the car doesn't sleep too, like sentry mode for example. You do have to be careful with the settings, and in some occasions teslafi will miss a drive because it's letting the car sleep. Imperfect but verhy useful.

It is totally possible to configure TeslaFi so that your car sleeps. There are other reasons why the car doesn't sleep too, like sentry mode for example. You do have to be careful with the settings, and in some occasions teslafi will miss a drive because it's letting the car sleep. Imperfect but verhy useful.

"Possible" yes, but there is no specific process to achieve this, only "try this" or "try that" suggestions. If you do find a combination of settings that work, they may stop working with the next Tesla software upgrade.

I've been running TeslaFi for a year now and no update has caused any trouble. My car sleeps when it wants. Take the time to understand tbe sleep settings and you will make it work.
There's nothing magical. Turn on sleep mode in TeslaFi. All that does is stop calling the api that wakes the car. You choose how long it waits before starting to wait and how much time it waits. Set it so you leave at least 15 minutes of wait. Depending on your settings TeslaFi might miss a drive during the period where it waits, that's the worst that can happen.