Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi Stats - Is this consolidation a clue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As shown in the screenshot below there seems to be a consolidation of the vast majority of Tesla's on version 2020.48.12.1.
Once all of the pending installs are done it will represent 97% of the fleet that TeslaFi tracks. I've never seen that high a percentage for a particular firmware version.

Could that be preparing the fleet for some major transition as speculated in various threads (Holiday update, V11, FSD Lite, FSD, etc.). For those with a great memory have you seen this type of consolidation before? Any thoughts?
Screenshot TeslaFi stats 2020-12-21 210832.jpg

I checked earlier and it was showing something like 1500 but now it is showing 2459 both on the main page and also the detailed one. Not saying it wasn't a bug before or possibly now, just curious if it has some merit to it or not.
There is definitely a problem and TeslaFi has responded they are reviewing it. The current and pending now total more than what they track.
Edit: They just responded they see the problem and will fix it tomorrow.
Screenshot TeslaFi stats v2 2020-12-21 210832.jpg

I'm looking at the public one. I don't have a TeslaFi account, nor am I seeing the insane numbers that @n.one.one is seeing. It could still be incorrect numbers though, but they seem fairly realistic to me.
The public / non-authenticated page is working fine. It's only the similar page for paying TeslaFi users that has the error on it, and it sounds like that's being fixed in the next day or so by the TeslaFi team.

The public / non-authenticated page is working fine. It's only the similar page for paying TeslaFi users that has the error on it, and it sounds like that's being fixed in the next day or so by the TeslaFi team.
Gotcha. Well with that being said, the numbers are still rising for pending installs as well as completed installs. I’ve never watched TeslaFi during rumored big released but in general I’ve never seen this many in one day.

Agreed. This seems to be a push on Tesla's part to get the majority of the fleet up to 2020.48.12.1. My guess is that either this release has a hidden feature set that Tesla will remotely enable all at once at a future date 12/25? (assuming they have such a capability), or it's a pre-requisite or at least preferred baseline for the anticipated end-of-year V11 push. Of these two, I suspect the first is more likely.

EDIT: or there is a bug out there that Tesla *really* wants to have fixed on every car....

Reactions: camthehombre
Agreed. This seems to be a push on Tesla's part to get the majority of the fleet up to 2020.48.12.1. My guess is that either this release has a hidden feature set that Tesla will remotely enable all at once at a future date 12/25? (assuming they have such a capability), or it's a pre-requisite or at least preferred baseline for the anticipated end-of-year V11 push. Of these two, I suspect the first is more likely.

EDIT: or there is a bug out there that Tesla *really* wants to have fixed on every car....

I know very little about software but was actually wondering about the first thing you mentioned. Is that possible for them to install a feature that "unlocks" at a set date/time?

It can be done but I've not seen any Tesla firmware do this.

They did it this year - I'm trying to remember what specifically but it was something media player related I think? Maybe it was the new Spotify client? The software came down and a week later, with no new software update, something was enabled, and the release notes re-appeared. But I'm drawing a blank on the specifics...

They did it this year - I'm trying to remember what specifically but it was something media player related I think? Maybe it was the new Spotify client? The software came down and a week later, with no new software update, something was enabled, and the release notes re-appeared. But I'm drawing a blank on the specifics...

I looked it up. It was the Sirius XM interface revamp in August of this year - it came as part of 2020.28.6, but wasn't enabled until a week or so after it downloaded, coincident with a free trial.

They also did it a while back with Supercharger stall information. The software was updated but relied on a data feed containing Supercharger status information. A few weeks later, the data feed for Supercharger status was turned on and started returning data. Then the information began showing up in cars even though it had been weeks since the update had been installed.

They also do something similar with the Loot Box.