Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi tips for new users

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the sleep front, I unticked the "No Shift State Reading" sleep trigger and turned off "Deep sleep mode" and it slept like a big baby last night (it was awake from midnight to 2.30am, which is better than my experience of sleeping babies, and anyway I didn't hear it cry). Not 100% certain which of these changes made the difference but it stands to reason it's the first, since I understand deep sleep mode just turns off TeslaFi data logging for a defined time period. Since I'm normally charging overnight I don't think deep sleep mode is useful to me.

Have also since changed my Tesla password.

Should my car sleep while charging or only while parked unplugged? I have it in my head it has slept before while charging but can't prove or repeat it. Would there be any point? Are there advantages to sleep other than reduced consumption?

Should my car sleep while charging or only while parked unplugged?

I don't think it'll sleep whilst charging but it definitely will sleep whilst plugged in and waiting to charge, e.g. waiting for the E7 times to kick in.

Are there advantages to sleep other than reduced consumption?

Slightly less component wear maybe, but it's minimising the vampire drain that's the most important.

Mine definitely takes longer to go to sleep but wakes up quicker.

My car is asleep before I can get from the drivers seat to plug the charging cable in .. and consequently I get my 9PM-schedule email, every day, telling me that the car is not plugged in ...

And, no, I am NOT that lardy!

Wow that is quick. Maybe mine’s more chatty with HQ, nowadays it’s a good couple of hours before it sleeps. I wonder if there’s any difference between AP1 and AP2+ cars in terms of sending data back. Not that that should take too long in any event really.

Another thing I am noticing on TeslaFi is a few weird map outputs where a chunk of my journey is missing and I appear to have flown in a straight line for a few miles. Like it's not collecting data for that period, but it can't be the once a minute snapshot data feed anyway. Anyone know why this would be? Common issue?

I am noticing on TeslaFi is a few weird map outputs where a chunk of my journey is missing and I appear to have flown in a straight line for a few miles

If internet conection is lost, and no data available, you should get an "asterisk" net to the data, or something like that, to indicate "lost data"

If you look on Help : Raw data you will be able to see any sections (i.e. several consecutive minutes) where there was no data.

Unless you were doing Wrap Factor? :) and the once-a-minute was miles apart

Another thing I am noticing on TeslaFi is a few weird map outputs where a chunk of my journey is missing and I appear to have flown in a straight line for a few miles. Like it's not collecting data for that period, but it can't be the once a minute snapshot data feed anyway. Anyone know why this would be? Common issue?

I used to see that on the fleet tracker service when the GPS signal had been lost or the car hadnt had a GSM signal for long enough to download the latest gps locations data.

I have looked into this and suspect that both loss of GPS and/or loss of internet could both cause this. I have come across nothing so far that would allow a route to be mapped unless it was streamed on the go requiring both GPS and GSM connection.

I can certainly see why insurance companies would not consider the car as having a tracker - this is a good example so show how less resilient GPS/GSM based systems are compared with more traditional tracking systems, such as VHF based ones. But it is better than nothing.

On sleep again....

I can confirm that Teslafi is useful in killing the temptation to open the Tesla app, and therefore wake the car, while on holiday.

My car appears now to be sleeping every day while it's left alone and unplugged. However on a glance at the data I can see that when it wakes up it seems to make a lot of attempts before going back to sleep again. I'm not sure why this is or why it wakes up in the first place.

It is using round about 0.8kwh each day while on idle for 4-6 hours. c.3 miles. While asleep it doesn't use enough to register any energy use at all for most of the 24 hours. And it looks to me like the amount of phantom drain in a day doesn't vary much even if idling time doubles. Can anyone shed any light on this? Does it have a particular thing it needs to do every day?

I'm not raising the 0.8kwh as a concern as such, the impact on remaining range over a week is pretty much immaterial, rather I'm wondering whether it's all as expected or whether other people's cars just sleep for the week if left to do so. Or something else?

If it was low battery it sometimes started as soon as I plugged in, otherwise it would start after cheap rate kicked in

I like that.

Tesla should do that...

I'm not a fan of setting charge-finish-time. A power cut leaves you with nothing ... my personal approach (in Winter) is to charge to 80% at start of Off Peak, and then raise limit to 90% and resume charging an hour (i.e. however long is needed for 10%) before departure. My aim is to limit risk of power cut impacting departure range.

I do wonder how much the charge-before-leave makes a difference to Teslas. Certainly in cold weather my battery heater comes on during the final charge, but not for long, and not enough to significantly improve reduced-Regen on departure (again, cold mornings only). Presumably charging until departure is warming the battery somewhat and reducing the low-Regen period, but I struggle to tell the difference much, although I haven't done an sort of empirical test.

Maybe Model-3 will perform better on that score, come Winter; perhaps Tesla could improve (deliberately increase) battery heating when on shore-power in the run up to departure ...

Now ... if the car had ESP and knew my tomorrow-journey-mileage it could set up the car appropriately ... it would need to read Wfie's mind too for any emergency side-trips. After 30+ years you'd think I would be able to do that .... :oops:

• Funny
Reactions: RamsfanJim