Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslafi - under-reporting consumption vs car display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I've noticed that Teslafi consistently under-reports consumption compared to what's displayed on the car's odo. For example, a 45 mile drive today was reported by Teslafi at 213Wh/mile, whereas the car showed 255Wh/mile. Anyone else getting this? I guess I'll need to do some calculations based on closer inspection of the charge state, miles driven etc to see which is right.

I haven't checked this myself, but might it be teslafi measuring consumption of that "drive" alone vas the car measuring all consumption since a defined start point in time (so including some consumption before or after a teslafi defined "drive")?

I haven't checked this myself, but might it be teslafi measuring consumption of that "drive" alone vas the car measuring all consumption since a defined start point in time (so including some consumption before or after a teslafi defined "drive")?
I guess that would be a plausible explanation. Need to look at it more closely.

I've noticed that Teslafi consistently under-reports consumption compared to what's displayed on the car's odo. For example, a 45 mile drive today was reported by Teslafi at 213Wh/mile, whereas the car showed 255Wh/mile. Anyone else getting this? I guess I'll need to do some calculations based on closer inspection of the charge state, miles driven etc to see which is right.

if you look in the TeslaFi vehicle settings you can adjust the kWh Wh/m factor so TeslaFi matches the car.

I have had a look at a raw sample of tesla API data ( don't have a car so cannot look at the real thing yet) and the car does not report any data like watts per mile directly so Teslafi must be deriving it. The odometer data is reported as is the current battery level
you could calculate it from these 2 figures but only if you know what the size of the battery is or at least what 100% actually represents. So it could be that the car and teslafi are using slightly different figures for the battery size so 1% battery loss represents a different amount of energy in each calculation
That would be my guess. this is may be what the adjustment factors that DJP31 mentioned allow you to correct for

Reactions: MrBadger
We have a very slight discrepancy but put it down to how TeslaFi calculates the value vs how car would and have nearly always been as within rounding levels of accuracy of battery level. As above, TeslaFi needs to derive some figures from drive start/end values of battery and odometer. The only major discrepancies I have seen is when TeslaFi missed the start of the journey so only measured part of the journey - easy to spot from the GPS maps - from the logs, it did seem right from that point though, but missed the initial higher power warm up.

The only major discrepancies I have seen is when TeslaFi missed the start of the journey so only measured part of the journey - easy to spot from the GPS maps - from the logs, it did seem right from that point though, but missed the initial higher power warm up

That’s a fairly new behaviour and generally happens when TeslaFi stops polling the car in a sleep attempt.

Historically the car stopped reporting the outside/inside temperatures when it was preparing to sleep, and TeslaFi stopped polling at about the same time. Something changed in one of the updates and now the car continues to report the temperatures, many of us noticing that the car suddenly wasn’t sleeping - because TeslaFi was continuing to poll. TeslaFi will now (depending on settings) stop polling periodically but if you happen to drive during this time it won’t log that data until the sleep attempt finishes.

Reactions: MrBadger