Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaFi vs. native efficiency reporting differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed TeslaFi reports different average energy stats compared to the in-car Wh/mile stats. Sometimes as great as 20 Wh/mile and this happens on both my Model 3RWD and Model YLR. TeslaFi appears to report on the low-end. Which stat is "correct"? The in-car one?

Here's a quick trip today:

1648939797810.png

First the car gave me 252 Wh/mile

1648939908133.png

Then a dozen seconds later I saw it report an even lower number - without the car moving (I was parked with AC):

1648939950488.png

There is a setting in TeslaFi to adjust the calculation:
1649095880417.png

For me, 1.038 seemed to give good results but YMMV, which is why it's a setting.

Also note that there are situations where TeslaFi might be trying to let the car sleep as you start your drive. Because of that, TeslaFi sometimes misses a couple minutes at the start of a drive. This might affect your result for that particular drive.

OH: about your second screen capture and an even worse number for the drive: The car only counts energy spent in drive, not parked, so I *think* you were stopped but not in Park for this to happen...
EDIT 2: Oh, not, the number would have become worse, not better. I have no idea what happened. But my Drive/stopped vs Parked comment still applies.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
There is a setting in TeslaFi to adjust the calculation:
View attachment 789981
For me, 1.038 seemed to give good results but YMMV, which is why it's a setting.

Also note that there are situations where TeslaFi might be trying to let the car sleep as you start your drive. Because of that, TeslaFi sometimes misses a couple minutes at the start of a drive. This might affect your result for that particular drive.

OH: about your second screen capture and an even worse number for the drive: The car only counts energy spent in drive, not parked, so I *think* you were stopped but not in Park for this to happen...
EDIT 2: Oh, not, the number would have become worse, not better. I have no idea what happened. But my Drive/stopped vs Parked comment still applies.

No.. I'm 100% sure I was in park. I stopped at a busy red light (waited 3+ minutes for the light to change) and put it in park to explicitly STOP the trip on TeslaFi (it recorded the end of the first trip there).