TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

teslafi vs teslaspy

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by judyjetson, Aug 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

I didn't know exactly where to post this, and did some searching but couldn't find a comparison between Teslafi and Teslaspy. if there is something out there, great, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, i'd like to know which program people perfer and why.

Thanks

• Helpful x 1
  2. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Avoid them both ... unless you want vampire drain.

• Disagree x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

is there another you suggest? i like the idea of all the stats.

4. fmm

fmm Member

I use TeslaFi and have virtually no vampire drain ...... I did at first until I followed their very clear instructions on settings in the vehicle. All great now. Don't know anything about TeslaSpy.

• Like x 6
    • Helpful x 1
  5. gujudog

gujudog Member

I use TeslaFI and I dont have anymore vampire drain then I did before activating the app. I have their sleep settings as suggested. I was away for 6 days and car in garage, lost 14 miles of range.

• Like x 2
  6. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Yeah, it's ignorance that leads folks to continue to suggest that TeslaFi is a significant source of vampire drain. I use it and love it. Provided you properly set the sleep settings, the impact on range is pretty negligible--far less impactful than a high ambient temp, for example.

• Like x 2
  7. TT97

TT97 Member

Can you provide the sleep settings recommended? The first time I tried TeslaFi, my car would not sleep (but didn't give it much time to try). I want to try again but want to make sure the settings are right.

8. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

These are the big ones. Make sure Sleep Mode is enabled and the Try to Sleep Requirements are both un-checked. The Time to Try Sleeping should be 11+, and Idle Time before Trying to Sleep is up to you. Higher #s will add a little drain but lower the odds that you miss recording short drives in quick succession.

TeslaFiSleepSettings.JPG

• Informative x 3
  9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Unchecking the no inside/outside temp boxes made a huge difference for me. Wouldn’t sleep much with them checked.

• Informative x 1
  10. TT97

TT97 Member

Thanks. I had the temperature boxes checked (for some reason, I interpreted those boxes as DON'T take readings if checked and assumed that taking readings would keep the car awake, now realize that it is checking if the car is reporting readings).

I will try them again - I really liked the data they provided but didn't want the drain.

11. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Good luck.

• Like x 1
  12. DannyHamilton

DannyHamilton Member

I've been using TeslaFi for a few months now and am happy with the features it provides. I've never used TeslaSpy, so I can't offer a comparison. My car rarely sits very long without being plugged in, so if there are any vampire drain issues I'd never notice them.

13. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

appreciate everyone's feedback and info energy saving settings. too bad no one has been able to provide input on Teslaspy, the user interface looks a lot nicer than teslafi.

14. David99

David99 Active Member

I have used TeslaFi for 2 years. It has improved a lot over the years and the developer is always working on it which is key to me. Lots of great features have been added since I joined. If you want to try TeslaFi, you can get 2 weeks extra on the trial period by using 'sharkcookie' as a code.

15. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

Thank you, i plan on using the free trial period. last question: What benefits do you get that warrant the $50/year subscription cost? Just wanting to know where the payoff is. TIA

16. David99

David99 Active Member

Why is it worth it to me? I like having all data available from every drive, every charge and keeping track of it. It has been very useful in many situations to have the data available. It's the perfect log about everything related to the car. TeslaFi also does a great job presenting that data. It allowed me to track battery degradation, and efficiency overall and at specific situations.

• Like x 1
  17. judyjetson

judyjetson Member

Zaxxon, do you use the nighttime sleep or deep sleep modes? If so, can you post a screen shot of your settings? Thanks

18. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

I do use nighttime sleep. Here you go.

Screenshot_20180818-081351.png

• Like x 1
  19. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Thanks for the settings, signed up. Looking forward to seeing some stats.

• Like x 1
  20. Zaxxon

Zaxxon Supporting Member

Side note: you can use a referral code when signing up for the trial, and that gets you a one month trial vs 2 weeks. It also earns the referrer a $5 credit on renewal if the new user signs up for a paid sub.

If anyone wants to use mine, it matches my forum username.