Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaLog.com - Your hosted Tesla Data Logger - Announcement / Support threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great work, Marc! Bravo!!

Quick question: in the YouTube video, you show about a year's worth of data for your car in different logs (see example below).
How did you get all that data loaded into the site?

I also have a year's worth of data from VisibleTesla, but is there any way to import it into your website?

Thanks!
-Marc

PS: I'm happy to help with the French-to-English translations, as I've noticed some spelling/grammatical errors that could be easily fixed :biggrin:

Screen Shot 2016-01-06 at 2.23.06 PM.png

Last edited:
I've been working on it for a while now ! I didn't use visibletesla much except experiment it crashing and lost of logging ;)

Depending on how details visibletesla store it data I could import it sure... I though it only saved averaged information and not the original raw data...

Do you have a way to export data from it and send me a sample.. If it a SQLITE db, I can parse that... If it something else, we will have to look how I can read that.

You can pm me directly and we can report back here how it to goes if other want to do the same.

I've been working on it for a while now ! I didn't use visibletesla much except experiment it crashing and lost of logging ;)

Depending on how details visibletesla store it data I could import it sure... I though it only saved averaged information and not the original raw data...

Do you have a way to export data from it and send me a sample.. If it a SQLITE db, I can parse that... If it something else, we will have to look how I can read that.

You can pm me directly and we can report back here how it to goes if other want to do the same.

I'll let Marc send you the VT data, (he's much more familiar with the intricacies of VT than am I) but if it winds up usable, I'd also be interested in sending you my VT data, so that I have more history stored with TeslaLog.

Thanks!

PM sent. Merci!

It looks like it does not reset battery charging counters when several charging sessions happen without driving in between.

This screenshot explains:

View attachment 106437

For future charges, this should be fixed now !!

I store the initial value the car give me when the charge begin, and the last value I also received, and subtract one from the other. I might try to fix previous data, but it tricky. There is multiple scenario to take care off, and some of the only solution is to recalculate the actual kWh charged based on the Volt/Amp/Phase calculation for that charge (Similar to what I do in the Monthly kWh charging page).

But that won't fix the miles charged (unless I just use predefined Wh/km and use the charge I've detected...

Marc,

GREAT work! Love this!

Quick question - on the 4h climate report, you have two scales for, I assume, temperature. So it makes the graph kind of hard to read and busy. Am I missing something on that?

Thanks !

Your right... Fixed

- - - Updated - - -

I'll let Marc send you the VT data, (he's much more familiar with the intricacies of VT than am I) but if it winds up usable, I'd also be interested in sending you my VT data, so that I have more history stored with TeslaLog.

Thanks!

I think after 5 hours, I've done it !!! I hope MarcG is happy with the result !!! VisibleTesla doesn't store lot of information, so the display on the site of the data won't be perfect and there will be lot of missing informations and the data that present have a very low Sample Rate...

I think after 5 hours, I've done it !!! I hope MarcG is happy with the result !!! VisibleTesla doesn't store lot of information, so the display on the site of the data won't be perfect and there will be lot of missing informations and the data that present have a very low Sample Rate...

This is really great, thank you so much Marc! You really shouldn't have spent that much time on it though. More rep points given :smile:

If you want to project your storage needs over the long term, the collection of data from my car dating back to October, 2013 is 6 GB to include all streaming data as well as charging and climate API requests. It's stored in a mongodb BSON format. That represents about 55,000 miles of driving.

Awesome!

I can be your next test if you want some more VT data.

Thanks for spending the time!

If you want to project your storage needs over the long term, the collection of data from my car dating back to October, 2013 is 6 GB to include all streaming data as well as charging and climate API requests. It's stored in a mongodb BSON format. That represents about 55,000 miles of driving.

That roughly what I've calculated on my end. Thing does get more complex with index and optimization tables.
I will probably have more than 200 new car tracked in 1 month period. I've got over 350,000miles recorded so far, but most of it was done by me and a few other early users.

So those 200 user could rank thing up to 2.4millions miles recorded per year. And that only 1 month of new user... Let say 2000user by the end of the year, 10 000miles each, = 20millions miles per year. Let take your specs at 1.1gig per 10000 miles, that about 2.2TB of database storage, 183Gig per month of new data...

Fun lol

Last edited:
Great App, but it drains my battery a bit too much while waiting at the airport for our flight back home in a few days [emoji3] Any chance to pause the logging? Saw your feedback at the 28th of Dec about this and just being curious if this is now possible?

Great App, but it drains my battery a bit too much while waiting at the airport for our flight back home in a few days [emoji3] Any chance to pause the logging? Saw your feedback at the 28th of Dec about this and just being curious if this is now possible?

You'll probably have to build in support for handling sleeping cars, like VT and TeslaMS did. When the car's settled (in park, not charging, little streaming data), then go into a mode where you stop polling the various status API's for 15-30 minutes and watch the car go to sleep via the /vehicles API. Then continue polling /vehicles to see if the car has awakened before you restart polling.

If you want to do RIGHT AWAY, you can change your mytesla password and logging will stop.

I'll try to get a quick suspend feature in place tonight though.

I intend to make a feature that shouldn't drain your battery whenyour car is off... I personally want 24/7 recording, so I haven't done much more on that regard, but with the number user using it, I guess it will be useful hehe

If you want to do RIGHT AWAY, you can change your mytesla password and logging will stop.

I'll try to get a quick suspend feature in place tonight though.

I intend to make a feature that shouldn't drain your battery whenyour car is off... I personally want 24/7 recording, so I haven't done much more on that regard, but with the number user using it, I guess it will be useful hehe

Thanks for the offer to take quick action on this!

If I may, I would suggest you allow the user to set a time bracket during which the polling frequency slows down. For example, between 11pm and 7am, reduce the API pulls to every several minutes (say 30) instead of every minutes.

This would allow different users to have different times, or no time at all, between which the polling slows down.

Thank you!

Thanks for the offer to take quick action on this!

If I may, I would suggest you allow the user to set a time bracket during which the polling frequency slows down. For example, between 11pm and 7am, reduce the API pulls to every several minutes (say 30) instead of every minutes.

This would allow different users to have different times, or no time at all, between which the polling slows down.

Thank you!

I've added in the car_info page toggle switch to enable or disable either the State & Drive logging.

State is Charging, Temperature and other general data being query once every minutes.

Driving is the real time car tracking.

Once you set them both to Off, the system won't try to connect again. If Driving were already in process, then it will continue until it drop connection. Then a car is in idle, that connection drop every 20second or so.

I've wasted WAY too much time trying to get that nice little toggle in there ! Pretty crappy library ! Anyway, that my problem and not giving up when trying to get something working....

There is different kind of data logging... Real time car position, climate, temperature, vehicle state... As far as I know, as long as the CPU is wake up and active for whatever function, doing 2 function at the same time won't cause it to take much more power.

So that mean I need to NOT start streaming until I detect the car start moving, which mean I have to pool the car at certain interval... If I wait too long, you might lose a good part of the beginning of your trip...

So it not just about querying every x number of minutes, it about trying to get the sweet spot that I know if the car is on or off without draining the battery... I got a few idea, but I need to experiment, but it time intensive since I won't really know if the car is really a sleep or not. I would need to have an AMP meter clamp on the 12volt battery to see in real time if itbeing drain or not.. OR wait long time to see my range lower between all my test... Anyway, going to bed now ! GN

Thanks Marc, that's a great start.

It's indeed a tricky thing to get the timing right, which is why I suggested a timer setting similar to what VisibleTesla does.

For some inspiration, here's what I have set in my scheduler:

Screen Shot 2016-01-08 at 8.55.04 AM.png

During the "sleep" hours, VT only polls the car every 33 minutes or so. When it's "awake", it polls it every 4 minutes, and if it detects the car is in motion then it "streams" every 5 seconds or so.

I'm trying to test 'sleep' mode by disabling my tracker and activing save mode and removing always connected... I changed my password so all my token are reset, yet my car can't seem to go to sleep...

I could implement a schedule like this easily, but then I'll be stuck like I am with the Geo Action with 2 version when trying to make a more advance one... I'm hoping to make one more advanced from the start... But yes it will take a longer time to see it (until I'm tired and make a basic one :)

I'm trying to test 'sleep' mode by disabling my tracker and activing save mode and removing always connected... I changed my password so all my token are reset, yet my car can't seem to go to sleep...

I could implement a schedule like this easily, but then I'll be stuck like I am with the Geo Action with 2 version when trying to make a more advance one... I'm hoping to make one more advanced from the start... But yes it will take a longer time to see it (until I'm tired and make a basic one :)

I may be mistaken, because I haven't kept up with all the changes, but I think right now there may not be a mode (or perhaps your car just isn't in the mode) that allows your car to sleep during the day. There is definitely a Tesla mode in which the car can only sleep at night. If your car is in that mode, it wouldn't go to sleep now no matter what TeslaLog does.