Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaLog.com - Your hosted Tesla Data Logger - Announcement / Support threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't turn the Drive/Monitor off, a battery loss of about 10-14miles a day will take place waking the car for necessary data requested.
using teslalog for just a few weeks i acually forgot it was still active(holiday planning and kids, priotities) while on holiday i noticed a quick lowering battery load. after checking the tesla app i shocked that in a week lost 63miles while only parked while i was away.
then i figured the teslalog will continiusly request tesla which in turn keeps the communication and car awake.

if i not switched of the usage i think my battery would be close to 0 when i return after this week.

using teslalog for just a few weeks i acually forgot it was still active(holiday planning and kids, priotities) while on holiday i noticed a quick lowering battery load. after checking the tesla app i shocked that in a week lost 63miles while only parked while i was away.
then i figured the teslalog will continiusly request tesla which in turn keeps the communication and car awake.

if i not switched of the usage i think my battery would be close to 0 when i return after this week.

Yeah I asked Marc a while back to provide a way to stop collecting data at night, or at least limit the polling to a much lower level, similar to VisibleTesla's "sleep" function. He decided not to implement it and just provided the capability to stop monitoring state altogether. Not ideal, but better than having to revoke tokens...

Background:

If you want to do RIGHT AWAY, you can change your mytesla password and logging will stop.

I'll try to get a quick suspend feature in place tonight though.

I intend to make a feature that shouldn't drain your battery whenyour car is off... I personally want 24/7 recording, so I haven't done much more on that regard, but with the number user using it, I guess it will be useful hehe

Thanks for the offer to take quick action on this!

If I may, I would suggest you allow the user to set a time bracket during which the polling frequency slows down. For example, between 11pm and 7am, reduce the API pulls to every several minutes (say 30) instead of every minutes.

This would allow different users to have different times, or no time at all, between which the polling slows down.

Thank you!

I've added in the car_info page toggle switch to enable or disable either the State & Drive logging.

State is Charging, Temperature and other general data being query once every minutes.

Driving is the real time car tracking.

Once you set them both to Off, the system won't try to connect again. If Driving were already in process, then it will continue until it drop connection. Then a car is in idle, that connection drop every 20second or so.

I've wasted WAY too much time trying to get that nice little toggle in there ! Pretty crappy library ! Anyway, that my problem and not giving up when trying to get something working....

There is different kind of data logging... Real time car position, climate, temperature, vehicle state... As far as I know, as long as the CPU is wake up and active for whatever function, doing 2 function at the same time won't cause it to take much more power.

So that mean I need to NOT start streaming until I detect the car start moving, which mean I have to pool the car at certain interval... If I wait too long, you might lose a good part of the beginning of your trip...

So it not just about querying every x number of minutes, it about trying to get the sweet spot that I know if the car is on or off without draining the battery... I got a few idea, but I need to experiment, but it time intensive since I won't really know if the car is really a sleep or not. I would need to have an AMP meter clamp on the 12volt battery to see in real time if itbeing drain or not.. OR wait long time to see my range lower between all my test... Anyway, going to bed now ! GN

Thanks Marc, that's a great start.

It's indeed a tricky thing to get the timing right, which is why I suggested a timer setting similar to what VisibleTesla does.

For some inspiration, here's what I have set in my scheduler:

View attachment 106972

During the "sleep" hours, VT only polls the car every 33 minutes or so. When it's "awake", it polls it every 4 minutes, and if it detects the car is in motion then it "streams" every 5 seconds or so.

• Informative
Reactions: nico180
Can someone with a good detailed log of a long downhill trip from teslalog.com check something for me ? (And post some screenshots?)
I did some trips through the mountains last month with some stretches where I was only generating power for like 15 minutes and I was wondering if Teslalog records that kind of data correctly as negative Wh/km or Wh/m numbers.
I did not have a good 3G/4G connection at that time so my graps are incomplete but it looks like the averages are overstating.
Thanks.

here is a 2500 foot drop over 20m at about the 58m point. The graphs are offset a bit on the x-axis; sampling interval?

upload_2016-8-1_11-20-0.png

Reactions: robertvg
just registered to teslalog.com and each time i attempt to log in i get a "Invalid Account" message.

ideas....?

for posterity's sake i ran the "forgot password" option, created a new password and was able to login from this page.
TeslaLog - Login

not sure if the new url made any difference or i was just acting all hodor and did not actually know my password. anyhow its all working now.

I've been using Teslalog for a few months to track down a charging issue I've been having. It is working great for what I need, and it is pointing me to a voltage sag problem with my electric provider. I'm trying to use the "export table data" function so that I can easily provide the data to the electric company, but it seems to export it into some odd file type that I can seem to reopen properly. Does anyone know how to open the data or if this function actually works? Apologies if this has been asked before, I've attempted to search and browse this thread, but to no avail...thanks!

I've been using Teslalog for a few months to track down a charging issue I've been having. It is working great for what I need, and it is pointing me to a voltage sag problem with my electric provider. I'm trying to use the "export table data" function so that I can easily provide the data to the electric company, but it seems to export it into some odd file type that I can seem to reopen properly. Does anyone know how to open the data or if this function actually works? Apologies if this has been asked before, I've attempted to search and browse this thread, but to no avail...thanks!

I have noticed the same problem. If you remove the second "x" from the extension it will open (i.e., change "SomeFile.xlsx" to "SomeFile.xls").

I have noticed the same problem. If you remove the second "x" from the extension it will open (i.e., change "SomeFile.xlsx" to "SomeFile.xls").

Thanks for the advice, mine are downloading with no file extension at all though, and the file name is simply shown as "unknown". I was able to figure out that my Mac was identifying them as TextEdit files, but would not open them by a simple double click. I was able to open up TextEdit and open the file through the application toolbar...weird.

Since signing up for TeslaLog, I am finding that the Tesla app (on Android, if that matters) frequently comes up saying that MyTesla is unavailable. Could this be caused by TeslaLog being connected at the time?

I would like to see a feature on the site that would allow me to revoke and/or suspend logging for a token without having to reset the MyTesla password. A simple button next to the token info on the tesla_token.html page would be ideal.

I think @mochouinard is too busy but wanted to try to send some feedback... As I found that TeslaLog contributes a lot of vampire drain on a trip or at night, it would be nice if you could implement "sleep support" feature that TeslaFi has. In that mode, it basically seems to stop polling for 15 minutes, and after that only use status API to check to see if the car is asleep.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think @mochouinard is too busy but wanted to try to send some feedback... As I found that TeslaLog contributes a lot of vampire drain on a trip or at night, it would be nice if you could implement "sleep support" feature that TeslaFi has. In that mode, it basically seems to stop polling for 15 minutes, and after that only use status API to check to see if the car is asleep.

+1

I had to change MyTesla password to reduce the vampire losses that amounted to 11--12 miles per day due to TeslaLog polling, vs about 2 without.

I'm still alive :)

The car can take over 30min to go to sleep, so checking if the car is alive doesn't tell me if it driving, or charging or anything... So it can easily missed trip because of it.

ccharleb, I've noticed the clock drift which was due to the virtualization, and when I moved the server, I didn't set the ntp service so it would not sync itself. It back installed and it in sync again.

I have lot of frustration at Tesla. (car constant issues with crappy service mostly, but with crappy SW update as well and slow response (when they response). So for my personal well being, I've not been as active as much as I want to because I don't want to bring myself down thinking too much about it. The car have switch from fun to horrible experience. That said, it could actually get worst, I had a 20k$ car lemon once which made me unhappy, so a +100k$ lemon is harder to swallow. This is not really new, it started as soon as I took delivery and noticed there were thick black glue on the paint, and I had pretty much all the issues mentioned on this forum, plus a few extra (ok maybe not all, but lot of them). I'm considering strongly to get rid of this lemon and switch maybe to a Kia Soul EV, which I'm not happy about, because I love what my Model S offer ! But I've got under 4000km left on warranty (which I had to argue with service as they told me I was out of warranty and didn't believe me, I had to lose it so that they check their paper (which I send mine saying I was right).

Anyway, under 4000km to decide what the hell I'm going to do ! I want to stay 100% electric, and compare to 2014 when I bought it, lot of CHAdeMO charger popup where I live which make a Kia Soul EV, Leaf or any other EV with fast charging livable... But of course the expérience is not the same... Though, the warranty is 20,000km better, it would reset to 0 so that give more than 2 year on warranty, the car would be paid cash, and lot of monthly cash left to deal with issues !

I'm still waiting to maybe Tesla make thing right, but at this point, I don't think they have the budget to do so (email from Elon asking to cut expense). But so far, they ask ME to spend +30k$ to get a replacement loaner car that MIGHT be better, which I know that if it not, they will not do anything about it except the excuse that the newer car are much better made now and I should switch... again ! (PS, it a Model S 2014 that I have, not a 2012-2013!)

Well... I said much more than what I wanted to say... Frustration is still pretty high (I got 13 page document of issues).

That said... I do have friend who will keep theirs and just deal with the issues they get after warranty themselves.

So Tesla Log will live on ;) Changes will need to happen though... As this site do have cost expense associated into it. But also, if I have a Kia Soul EV, it mean that I do no longer have the Tesla API access to my car... which mean that I'll integrate CanBus data logging to this site (which is also good for tesla owner who want even more data)!

Here is a data logging example I've made with my Model S and CANBus Data !
Moc Prototype CANBus data visualisation

So that will probably be integrated to Tesla Log.. Which will probably change name to something more generic since it going to be supporting other cars.

Anyway, lot of things thing to do, with so little time and resources to do it ! Will keep you posted on my decision...

Hi, @mochouinard , sorry to hear about your issues. Do you have only one SC nearby? If multiple contact the other SC and they might have better solution for you.

Glad you keep developing TeslaLog. One request after your rant :) right now at night TeslaLog keep querying API causing vampire loss. However TeslaFi seems to use different API that doesn't cause the car to wake up. I believe TeslaLog also have similar sleep function to reduce frequency of API calls to specified number, but actually with TeslaFi, the car actually goes to sleep for several hours.

Can you do the similar with TeslaLog?

I really appreciate having this data, so thank you for creating this app. Also being able to funnel data to EVTripPlannner is a great community service so I use it when on trips but otherwise expire the token with a password change. I would like to not have the logger poke the car all the time and also have an toggle to expire the token instead of having to change they mytesla password.

FYI I noticed a lot of driving was not recorded on 9/11 but all driving was captured the day before.