Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslamate Backup - Google are going to block OOB requests to Google’s OAuth 2.0 authorization endpoint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve followed instructions on how to set up a Teslamate backup and it uses Google’s OAuth 2.0 authorization endpoint.

I‘ve just had an email telling me “Starting October 3, 2022, we will block OOB requests to Google’s OAuth 2.0 authorization endpoint for existing clients.”

I would have thought it was spam apart from it mentions Project ID: teslamate-backup-338519

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am well out of my depth with this sort of stuff but I guess I’ve got a few months to get it sorted!

So, before I start, you should understand that I really know very little about Unix and OAuth (I work in sales!), but this is where I'm at...

I believe this related to the way OAuth was set up originally to write the backups (OAuth is the security that allows the backup to write to GoogleDrive). When I set mine up you got to a point in @DaveW's instructions where you pasted a URL into another browser, and then copy & pasted the result back into the configuration - I think Google has deprecated this way of working now (man in the middle issues) and has said that security set up that way will be turned off - hence the mail.

However, the 'new' way of setting this up seems to require the Pi launching a browser to complete the authentication - my Pi is a 'lite' version with no browser (I only have SSH access) so that's a no go...

The only way I could find to make this work was to have another PC/box that had RClone on it and use that. I installed RClone on my Windows PC and used that and everything seemed to go well. I now have my 'old' version continuing to backup, but also my 'new' one doing the same (so two backups at the moment). I assume my new one is ok with Google, as it was only configured on Saturday...

I'm going to let it run for a week to see what happens, but if all is ok, I'll post some instructions to help out of anyone is interested.

Reactions: init6