Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice. I didn't renew either of my Teslafi or Teslastics subscriptions because I felt they just lacked features. One big one for me was total charge cost, for example, and general overview/dashboard totals. Not to mention the UI for Teslafi is god awful.

I'm fairly ok with reading databases and PHP, Ajax and such so might be an interesting project. I don't mind the data being logged if it's free if I only get around to the above later on...

Certainly an excuse to get a Pi as well!
It sounds like it might be ideal for you. I must admit it was quite a steep learning curve for me, but for you, I suspect less so! I’ve never used TeslaFi, but TeslaMate does also include an option to import your TeslaFi data to TeslaMate if you want to.

Adrian Kumpf, the developer, releases an update every few weeks, adding new features and bug fixing. If anyone does try it and then go on to keep using it, I’d encourage you to donate a few Euros to Adrian to help support the project.

One big one for me was total charge cost, for example, and general overview/dashboard totals.
Here’s the Charging Stats screen from TeslaMate:

83D55B8D-713A-44C6-904F-10FE6AD3ECD7.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Russinating
Security - TeslaFi.com

imho, you are more likely to be compromised with a DIY solution and if someone knew what they were looking for, access to a physical server is a significant vulnerability.
Personally I disagree. I would have to be specifically targeted as a Tesla owner, and they would have to break into the house. My implementation is not using the internet.

Anything web-based is much more susceptible to attacks - all the data is centralised and the actor only needs to gain access by one means to access many users’ data. Akin to someone hacking a bank’s website, compared to breaking into the bank.

Each to their own though, we’re all able to decide which works best for us personally.

Security - TeslaFi.com

imho, you are more likely to be compromised with a DIY solution and if someone knew what they were looking for, access to a physical server is a significant vulnerability.
It may be more vulnerable but it's no longer a worthwhile target. There's little value in someone spending time trying to compromise my own hosting, and infact how would they even know I have it? The more data available the more valuable, and therefore worthwhile target for a "hacker". Doesn't really matter what security they have, it's connected to the internet so is at risk. A security audit at any point would reveal vulnerabilities, a small team cannot stay ahead of exploitative bugs and security vulnerabilities (many of which are not announced until fixed, and therefore exist for months at a time). And that's before you consider all the user access points, malware on an admin users phone to compromise 2FA, spoofed Sim cards, human error, etc etc.

Unfortunately data leaks are happening all the time, we simply don't hear about the vast majority.

Reactions: dakaix
My implementation is not using the internet.

But it is. Otherwise it would not be able to access the Tesla data. If what you mean is that you cannot access TeslaMate from the internet, I get what you are saying, but not all vulnerabilities occur from outside in. Your Pi, or even other devices within the home can be equally as complicit as external factors. Unless the TeslaMate host is not connected to the internet directly or indirectly, it remains vulnerable however small that may be.

It may be more vulnerable but it's no longer a worthwhile target. There's little value in someone spending time trying to compromise my own hosting, and infact how would they even know I have it?

Don't under estimate how much of a target you are no matter how much you think otherwise. As above, exploits from within a network can happen at any time without specifically being targeted eg a virus innocently triggered can infect an internal network. More importantly, external sources will be probing internet address at random looking for vulnerabilities, often just for kicks, often to hive off data, aggregate and pass on. I use to have an alarm that went off every time my systems were probed. It was soon turned off, and that was in early days of internet.

I use to host services from home, I've hosted business SaaS on corporate (the same corporate network that hosts a major road traffic system) and shared virtual global networks such as AWS and Azure. If I wanted security, it would be on systems where a dedicated security team monitored things. Otherwise, a decent backup strategy and not storing sensitive data and other data being encrypted - sounds much like the TeslaFi strategy.

Each to their own though, we’re all able to decide which works best for us personally.

Absolutely. All too easy to get carried away.

Last edited:
But it is. Otherwise it would not be able to access the Tesla data. If what you mean is that you cannot access TeslaMate from the internet, I get what you are saying, but not all vulnerabilities occur from outside in. Your Pi, or even other devices within the home can be equally as complicit as external factors. Unless the TeslaMate host is not connected to the internet directly or indirectly, it remains vulnerable however small that may be.

Don't under estimate how much of a target you are no matter how much you think otherwise. As above, exploits from within a network can happen at any time without specifically being targeted eg a virus innocently triggered can infect an internal network. More importantly, external sources will be probing internet address at random looking for vulnerabilities, often just for kicks, often to hive off data, aggregate and pass on. I use to have an alarm that went off every time my systems were probed. It was soon turned off, and that was in early days of internet.

I use to host services from home, I've hosted business SaaS on corporate (the same corporate network that hosts a major road traffic system) and shared virtual global networks such as AWS and Azure. If I wanted security, it would be on systems where a dedicated security team monitored things. Otherwise, a decent backup strategy and not storing sensitive data and other data being encrypted - sounds much like the TeslaFi strategy.

Absolutely. All too easy to get carried away.
I think we are all agreeing neither option is entirely secure, and we have to make our own decisions on what is an appropriate level of risk to us individually.

I would much rather Teslafi used end to end encryption, i.e. they could not access any data themselves (they clearly can currently). A better option would be that my Teslafi password was the seed for encrypting my data, and not stored on any servers. The only vulnerability then is how secure my password is. And no matter how their back end systems are compromised, my data would be unreadable. They obviously would not do this as their typical user wants to be able reset their password now and then if they forget it.

Point is, security is always compromised for user convenience, or to allow the provider to aggregate and make use of their customers data (example -your PayPal data is sold to 600 companies).

Self sovereign approaches can absolutely be much more secure, but the knowledge, effort and diligence is shifted to the user. Fast forward 20 years and it is much more likely to be common place.

Reactions: Roy W.
Not having got to grips before with Google Cloud Platform, or AWS really, and started to look into getting TeslaMate spun up on the former, would I be right in thinking that there's no "free" option to do this? I got the impression elsewhere in another thread that it would be under a threshold for billing, but it seems to get Docker Compose running I would need to get a VM up and running from GCP, at which point I'm looking at a minimum of $24.67 a month.

Just wanted to know if I'm mistaken in thinking that there's a way of using GCP/AWS to essentially run this for free...

Not having got to grips before with Google Cloud Platform, or AWS really, and started to look into getting TeslaMate spun up on the former, would I be right in thinking that there's no "free" option to do this? I got the impression elsewhere in another thread that it would be under a threshold for billing, but it seems to get Docker Compose running I would need to get a VM up and running from GCP, at which point I'm looking at a minimum of $24.67 a month.

Just wanted to know if I'm mistaken in thinking that there's a way of using GCP/AWS to essentially run this for free...

GCP have a $300 free credit when you sign up. You should also be able to use their micro instance with Debian or Ubuntu which is $0.02/hour. I haven’t validated that yet (weekend activity) but it’s enough to run Elastic Heartbeat which has a similar resource profile when I’ve run them locally.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Funny how many techies there are amongst us, although probably not that surprising. I've been playing with it on a Pi4, seems pretty good. Anyone know how it collects the info from Tesla, specifically can the local server be off for periods without losing data? How long before that would happen, presumably a limit on how much the mothership stores?

As far as I am aware, Tesla do not store the sort of info that TeslaFi uses - hence, if you lose data connection mid drive, you lose that part of the drive. I suspect the same is true with the streaming feed that TeslaMate uses.

For those that want to protect against power loss, there are various UPS hats for Pi's that allow it to ride a short power cut, or, more importantly, shut down gracefully for a longer outage. I use probably an early version of this UPS PIco - Uninterruptible Power Supply (HV3.0B+)

I know this isn't quite the right thread (or forum) for this question, but having not dabbled with a Pi before have you guys got the 2 or 4GB version? I'm guessing Teslamate would be absolutely fine with the 2GB? So I'm wondering if there's any future use case for the 4GB. I know it's not a lot more but as a % of the cost it is.

As far as I am aware, Tesla do not store the sort of info that TeslaFi uses - hence, if you lose data connection mid drive, you lose that part of the drive. I suspect the same is true with the streaming feed that TeslaMate uses.

For those that want to protect against power loss, there are various UPS hats for Pi's that allow it to ride a short power cut, or, more importantly, shut down gracefully for a longer outage. I use probably an early version of this UPS PIco - Uninterruptible Power Supply (HV3.0B+)
That's a neat UPS solution, I prefer a Smart APC to power my router and NAS as well as Pi (all in the same cupboard)
- Have been tempted by the DC tap hacks to save DC->AC---AC->DC power loss
*touches wood as we hardly get power outages

I know this isn't quite the right thread (or forum) for this question, but having not dabbled with a Pi before have you guys got the 2 or 4GB version? I'm guessing Teslamate would be absolutely fine with the 2GB? So I'm wondering if there's any future use case for the 4GB. I know it's not a lot more but as a % of the cost it is.
Go for 4Gb as you'll more than likely start using the Pi for other stuff too

I went for the 4GB version, but I’m sure you’re right, the 2GB would be ok too.