Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you likely just fluffed the syntax somewhere - if you can post a little more content around the commands you're using we can probably help.

However.... call me paranoid if you like, but I do find it quite alarming that people are happy to put something that knows your home address, movement habits, real-time location of your car and holds the token that has the ability to remotely unlock and start your car.. on the public internet with just single factor http basic auth and no rate limiting/brute-force protection etc to protect it (i.e. something that a 12 year old with an afternoon or two to spare can likely defeat). Sure, pin to drive will stop it being driven away, but still....

I would strongly advise at least looking into something a little more robust like cloudflare access/argo tunnel, zerotier etc to better protect it and not expose it all to the world.
You can add there fail2ban and then block connections using that.

Anyone getting intermittent 540 server errors? My setup hasn't had reliable data since around Sept 30th.

I'm running the latest 1.24.2 on a GCP E2 instance. All the containers have been updated to the latest versions using the "advanced setup", but I'm on Postgres 12 instead of 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirt4878
Anyone getting intermittent 540 server errors? My setup hasn't had reliable data since around Sept 30th.

I'm running the latest 1.24.2 on a GCP E2 instance. All the containers have been updated to the latest versions using the "advanced setup", but I'm on Postgres 12 instead of 13.
IK did get the "Health check failed" message on Sunday, which suggests that there was an issue with Tesla's servers, but has been running fine since then. A couple of pages back someone had an issue on the 30th of September. Might be worth reviewing their issue to see if it is the same.
Re Upgrades, have you upgraded Grafana by any chance? Last I looked TM didn't support Grafana 8. Might not be related to your issue, but has been known to cause problems.

I run TeslaMate under Windows on a NUC. It's running in a Docker. My son set this up...I'm a Mac guy and he is Mac/Windows.

Got home from a drive this morning and find that I can't view TeslaMate using Safari on my Mac. Turns out the NUC must have gotten a Windows update and was waiting at an info screen. So I get past the info screens and TeslaMate auto-launches.

But the data from today's drive isn't there. Is there any way to recover the data from today's drive?

I run TeslaMate under Windows on a NUC. It's running in a Docker. My son set this up...I'm a Mac guy and he is Mac/Windows.

Got home from a drive this morning and find that I can't view TeslaMate using Safari on my Mac. Turns out the NUC must have gotten a Windows update and was waiting at an info screen. So I get past the info screens and TeslaMate auto-launches.

But the data from today's drive isn't there. Is there any way to recover the data from today's drive?
No. Teslamate reads the stream that comes from the car. If TM isn't running at the time the car is streaming then nothing will be captured. Shame on him for using Windows :)

I notice that with the API changes in the last 24 hours the car model has changed from "Model 3" to "Model 3 74D" which I guess means I have the 74KW battery pack.
That data seems to have appeared on teslamate over the last few weeks, although other apps have seen it six months ago. It's the Trim Badging field, whether that directly relates to battery size I'm not sure. I haven't seen anything other than P74D listed.

No. Teslamate reads the stream that comes from the car. If TM isn't running at the time the car is streaming then nothing will be captured. Shame on him for using Windows :)

I think we could have installed TeslaMate in a docker on our Synology NAS. Just now I don't remember why he decided to go with Docker on a Windows box.

The Windows box updated itself and was waiting at a screen that wanted us to log in or create a Microsoft account. Apparently they're pushing that pretty hard these days. Turns out my son did have a Microsoft account, so he went ahead and logged in. I'll be watching to see what happens on the next patch Tuesday...to see that the NUC reboots and lands at the desktop.

Reactions: init6
I think we could have installed TeslaMate in a docker on our Synology NAS. Just now I don't remember why he decided to go with Docker on a Windows box.

The Windows box updated itself and was waiting at a screen that wanted us to log in or create a Microsoft account. Apparently they're pushing that pretty hard these days. Turns out my son did have a Microsoft account, so he went ahead and logged in. I'll be watching to see what happens on the next patch Tuesday...to see that the NUC reboots and lands at the desktop.

You can backup the database on windows, install on Synology and then restore the database there without loss of data

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
You can backup the database on windows, install on Synology and then restore the database there without loss of data

Thanks! Will definitely want to move historical data.

Son is now proposing we get a Raspberry Pi for TeslaMate. Running Debian I think. It would be another device to manage, but in practice once up and running you could pretty much forget about it.

Son is now proposing we get a Raspberry Pi for TeslaMate. Running Debian I think. It would be another device to manage, but in practice once up and running you could pretty much forget about it.
normally you'd run raspberry pi OS (based on debian), but yes. Although due to tesla's new captucha, I think you'll have to redo the token every 2-3 months. Since you'll get logged out. However well worth it. Loads of interesting info collected etc.

If the main goal is just to run teslamate in docker, Hypriot OS is probably a better starting point than the regular pi OS.

IMO, if you have a Synology system already up and running, you might as well use it to run Teslamate. The Docker UI makes things a bit harder to get set up initially compared to the command line if you are used to docker on the command line, but why buy more hardware if you don't need it? You can ssh in and do things via the command line if you like as well, I believe.

That said, I've been running Teslamate on a RPi 4 (8 GB RAM, 32 GB SD card, fanless heatsink case) and would recommend it for a new system as it takes up very little space and draws very little power (< 5W), but if I had a Synology system at home already that ran Docker, I would have used that, instead.

One concern I have about the RPi is the durability of the sdcard under long-term write loads, but I haven't done any analysis to see just how much and how often Teslamate writes to disk and I haven't found a good way to monitor life of the sdcard like you can with a SSD.

IMO, if you have a Synology system already up and running, you might as well use it to run Teslamate. The Docker UI makes things a bit harder to get set up initially compared to the command line if you are used to docker on the command line, but why buy more hardware if you don't need it? You can ssh in and do things via the command line if you like as well, I believe.

Yeah. Current plan is to run TeslaMate on the Synology NAS.

My son remembered the reason we didn't start with TeslaMate on the NAS, and it was network related. Partly because it was a good learning experience, and partly because it's a good idea, we created a few VLANs and segregated our various devices. Mostly we wanted the dumb IOT devices on a separate network. Both network ports on the NAS are now in use, so we couldn't add a third for TeslaMate. I guess we'll just add TeslaMate to the IOT network.