Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first thing to note is that the Overview graph does not display the Temperature data all the time. It looks at the Position table and the Charges table to see when the last record that contains a temperature was recorded in either table. If that record is over 60 minutes ago it will display "No Data". From what I've read there is an assumption that the temp an hour ago is probably not a good indicator of what the temp is now. It's an arbitrary time value.

So you need to check the overview page within 1 hour of having charged or driven the car to be sure that it is updating properly. If you still see no data we can delve a bit further or as @cwanja has suggested, raise an issue on the GitHub page. No reason not to do both.

The rest of this posting is my best guess at how it works based on what I have observed. If someone knows more about how this all hangs together then feel free to correct me.

Why does the Teslamate Homepage show the temperature but the Overview doesn't? It's probably worth looking at how these elements work together.
Tesla sends a stream of data. Teslamate reads this stream and displays some of the data on the homepage and simultaneously records the data in the database. Grafana produced reports based on whatever data is in the database. (I'm a bit unsure of how this Teslamate Homepage is created but this is my best guess)

As I said earlier Grafana gets the data from the positions or charges tables. If the positions or charges tables are not updated then after an hour, the overview dashboard will disregard the data. I think this is what is happening here. I don't know the precise criteria for updating the positions table, but I can see that if I wake my car from a sleep I get 2 records when the car is woken, but nothing else is added while the car is just sitting there. That sort of makes sense as you'd soon fill up your database if you recorded every piece of data even if the car is not moving. You'd have a DB full of position records containing pretty much the same data. That could explain why the TM home pages displays temp, but it is not being recorded in the DB.
For example I woke my car at 13:57 and the car then fell asleep at 14:23. I only have two entries in the positions table for that period. One at 13:57 and one at 14:00. Nothing after that. I would therefore need to have looked at the Overview dashboard before 15:00 (60 minutes after my last record) to see any data, even though the car was still showing as awake until 14:23. To repeat, it's 60 minutes from the last record which is not necessarily the last time Teslamate recorded the car as being awake. (I suspect Teslamate has some form of timeout before it records the car as being asleep.)

Hope that helps.
Thanks for your efforts. BUT if I check the overview after returning home all the stats are correct EXCEPT temperature which is still showing No Data.

Where is this data stored? Is it in a human readable format? What about the the scripts that run to create the dashboards. I tried finding overview*.* and I was unsuccessful. Inspecting "Driver Temp" data is empty. Inspecting "Odometer" data is present.

Thanks for your efforts. BUT if I check the overview after returning home all the stats are correct EXCEPT temperature which is still showing No Data.

Where is this data stored? Is it in a human readable format? What about the the scripts that run to create the dashboards. I tried finding overview*.* and I was unsuccessful. Inspecting "Driver Temp" data is empty. Inspecting "Odometer" data is present.
Its all in the database. You can either access it directly from the command line or you can run queries in Grafana to get at it. Just create a new panel and add your query there. I can help you look at that, but probably best to do it via messages rather than fill up this thread.

Reactions: pkeller and cwanja
Great idea..... But the Pi time is correct and Teslamate is set to the correct TZ. The charge display shows the same time as the Pi. (UTC-8)
I feel like I know the answer, but can you validate - if you look at the last drive details, does it capture the outside temperature in the graph at the bottom? If you charge, does the Overview dashboard display the data?

Edit: the way I understand the SQL on the Overview dashboard is it queries both the last position and last charging session. Which ever is closer to the current time (if one exist), it uses the data from that table to display the temperature. Both need to be within the last hour as @init6 pointed out.

I feel like I know the answer, but can you validate - if you look at the last drive details, does it capture the outside temperature in the graph at the bottom? If you charge, does the Overview dashboard display the data?

Edit: the way I understand the SQL on the Overview dashboard is it queries both the last position and last charging session. Which ever is closer to the current time (if one exist), it uses the data from that table to display the temperature. Both need to be within the last hour as @init6 pointed out.
Just completed a "Test Case".
Charging: No Temp Data
Post Charging: No Temp Data
Post 5 mi drive: No Temp Data. "Drives" shows Driver/Passenger & Inside temp

I updated Teslamate and now I can't access :4000. Grafana on :3000 is fine and all the data is there but no current API access. I've tried docker-compose pull, up, stop and start but no luck. Any ideas?

Nevermind, downgraded to 1.25.0 and that's worked, but now just getting Error: :authorization_failed when trying to login. BAH!

Last edited:
I updated Teslamate and now I can't access :4000. Grafana on :3000 is fine and all the data is there but no current API access. I've tried docker-compose pull, up, stop and start but no luck. Any ideas?

Nevermind, downgraded to 1.25.0 and that's worked, but now just getting Error: :authorization_failed when trying to login. BAH!
Running on a Pi on Debian Buster? If so, you should update to Bullseye.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwanja

What device are you running TeslaMate on?

Reactions: init6
Boy oh boy, my upgrade from Buster to Bullseye was not exactly uneventful. Followed the guide and it seemed to be going well. But then my Pi-hole crapped out and I could not remotely connect to the Pi with TeslaMate. Note to future self - maybe do not run OS updates headless via VNC. Then it seems my IP config got wiped out, ironically conflicting with my Pi-hole IP address.

Then got it back online, it seems that there is some VNC / headless resolution issues. So what I think does not matter is - in the guide linked above, do not do step 11. It does not seem critical unless you are running a Pi 4.

Got it all back and configured. Re-installed docker and docker-compose and TeslaMate is back to running. What fun.

Boy oh boy, my upgrade from Buster to Bullseye was not exactly uneventful. Followed the guide and it seemed to be going well. But then my Pi-hole crapped out and I could not remotely connect to the Pi with TeslaMate. Note to future self - maybe do not run OS updates headless via VNC. Then it seems my IP config got wiped out, ironically conflicting with my Pi-hole IP address.

Then got it back online, it seems that there is some VNC / headless resolution issues. So what I think does not matter is - in the guide linked above, do not do step 11. It does not seem critical unless you are running a Pi 4.

Got it all back and configured. Re-installed docker and docker-compose and TeslaMate is back to running. What fun.
I was planning on doing the upgrade to my Pi 4 this Sunday. I may want to rethink that plan, and if I do it won't be headless.

I was planning on doing the upgrade to my Pi 4 this Sunday. I may want to rethink that plan, and if I do it won't be headless.
WiFi appears to get disabled during the update as it loses the country settings. However, if you temporarily connect the Pi up through Ethernet (mine lives permanently connected to the switch, anyway), you shouldn’t have the connectivity loss issues. You can then get WiFI up and running again and remove the Ethernet cable.

Reactions: pkeller
I think just run it connected to a display with a keyboard and mouse. Sure, my post has some hiccups. But it was all fixable. Especially if you have a 4, that guide should be spot on for you.
WiFi appears to get disabled during the update as it loses the country settings. However, if you temporarily connect the Pi up through Ethernet (mine lives permanently connected to the switch, anyway), you shouldn’t have the connectivity loss issues. You can then get WiFI up and running again and remove the Ethernet cable.
Similar situation, no Wi-Fi on my Pi. But I found it odd that the manually configured Ethernet settings were changed as part of the upgrade.

Reactions: pkeller