Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeslaMate [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to say a big THANK YOU!! to @DaveW.

Your efforts in meticulously documenting step by steps for TeslaMate are greatly appreciated and have saved me a load of time. In under an hour I've got backups working and the CRON job running and have supercharger/destination chargers loaded. Also managed to quickly update TeslaMate and Grafana.

Wondering if I should quit whilst I'm ahead however the Agile Pricing function is calling...

Dave - please let me know if there's anyway I can buy you a beer/coffee/soda etc.

Reactions: ElRey and Roy W.
Just want to say a big THANK YOU!! to @DaveW.

Your efforts in meticulously documenting step by steps for TeslaMate are greatly appreciated and have saved me a load of time. In under an hour I've got backups working and the CRON job running and have supercharger/destination chargers loaded. Also managed to quickly update TeslaMate and Grafana.

Wondering if I should quit whilst I'm ahead however the Agile Pricing function is calling...

Dave - please let me know if there's anyway I can buy you a beer/coffee/soda etc.

Absolutely my pleasure :) - glad it’s helping so many people.

You don’t need to get me anything, but a very kind gesture, thank you!

I’ve not got Agile (yet) so can’t help you with that one, just make sure you run a backup first, just in case :)

Reactions: Medved_77
TeslaMate Agile now setup, much easier than I thought it would have been.

Thank you also @MattJeanes!

2020-10-12 21_23_01-Charges - Grafana.png

Reactions: Godsense
Both - I've got a "-" and n/a on individual charge periods, but agile rates and kWh added are there.
OK, not sure I'm going to be much help I'm afraid.

The configuration that I did was to geofence my home location and add the ID of the geofence to the .yml file, along with my Octopus region ID.

All my charge rates were previously zero, after restarting docker and waiting a few moments, all the historical charges had been updated.

That’s a real shame :(

Honesty not sure if you can, I’d suspect not as it’s stored in the db within the docker container

View attachment 597256

Worth a try? Lots of guides for Pi password recovery.

Damn, that's a shame.

I had previously tried that, had another go tonight but whilst I'm generally great when it comes to IT / tech, coding isn't one of them. I couldn't get the Pi to boot trying that method and I tried a few ways.

I wasn't starting with the car from brand new so i'll only loose a few weeks, put it down as a lesson. Fresh slate!

Appreciate the help DaveW :)

Reactions: Roy W.
Couple of questions/observations now that I've been using it for a few weeks....

1. Date format

Seems inconsistent, in places it's MM/DD/YYYY in other it's YYYY-MM-DD. I'm fine with the latter but the US date format is irritating. Have I missed a global setting to set these to a single format? I know I can copy the dashboard, change the parameters and save my own custom dashboard but I'd rather not.

2020-10-18 18_40_45-Drives - Grafana.png

2. Updates (# of charges)

Installed 2020.40.4 last night, says I've completed 53 charges? Suspect that in the image below I did 30 charges between 36.10 - 36.11 and 53 charges between 36.11 - 40.4. Maybe I've misunderstood this?

2020-10-18 18_41_27-Updates - Grafana.png

If anyone knows how to resolve either point please let me know, otherwise I'll create issues on the github repo.

I'm having trouble updating from Teslamate v1.19.4 to the current v1.20.0. My Teslamate is running on a raspberry pi 3b+ & has been going strong & solid since February. I was able to update it in April to v1.19.4 using this same method. This is what I am doing:
  1. On my Windows10 PC I log into my Pi on my local network using Putty, securely using my local IP address and password.
  2. From the instructions at "Upgrading to a new version | TeslaMate" i enter the following command: docker-compose up -d
this is the point where the update fails & I get the following response...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ docker-compose up -d
ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is it running?

If it's at a non-standard location, specify the URL with the DOCKER_HOST environment variable.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Any help would be appreciated. Note I am not a linux or command code guy, but I can usually muddle my way through stuff with instructions.

Thanks.

I'm having trouble updating from Teslamate v1.19.4 to the current v1.20.0. My Teslamate is running on a raspberry pi 3b+ & has been going strong & solid since February. I was able to update it in April to v1.19.4 using this same method. This is what I am doing:
  1. On my Windows10 PC I log into my Pi on my local network using Putty, securely using my local IP address and password.
  2. From the instructions at "Upgrading to a new version | TeslaMate" i enter the following command: docker-compose up -d
this is the point where the update fails & I get the following response...
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ docker-compose up -d
ERROR: Couldn't connect to Docker daemon at http+docker://localhost - is it running?

If it's at a non-standard location, specify the URL with the DOCKER_HOST environment variable.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $
Any help would be appreciated. Note I am not a linux or command code guy, but I can usually muddle my way through stuff with instructions.

Thanks.
Suspect the error you are getting is because the docker container is already running. Instead, try:

Code:
docker-compose down
docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

This should update both TeslaMate and Grafana to the latest versions. Suggest doing a backup first before upgrading.

Couple of questions/observations now that I've been using it for a few weeks....

1. Date format

Seems inconsistent, in places it's MM/DD/YYYY in other it's YYYY-MM-DD. I'm fine with the latter but the US date format is irritating. Have I missed a global setting to set these to a single format? I know I can copy the dashboard, change the parameters and save my own custom dashboard but I'd rather not.

View attachment 599779

2. Updates (# of charges)

Installed 2020.40.4 last night, says I've completed 53 charges? Suspect that in the image below I did 30 charges between 36.10 - 36.11 and 53 charges between 36.11 - 40.4. Maybe I've misunderstood this?

View attachment 599780

If anyone knows how to resolve either point please let me know, otherwise I'll create issues on the github repo.

I'm sure I saw a post about the US dates and it was originally something to do with Grafana, but that doesn't make sense if the UK dates work on some pages now, no universal setting as far as I can see.

There's been a few people reporting that now, worth raising an issue I think.

I'm sure I saw a post about the US dates and it was originally something to do with Grafana, but that doesn't make sense if the UK dates work on some pages now, no universal setting as far as I can see.

There's been a few people reporting that now, worth raising an issue I think.
There's some config settings in the `grafana.ini` file that could be related - I just haven't been able to find that file!

I found this in the defaults.ini

Code:
[date_formats]                                                                                                                                                                                 
# For information on what formatting patterns that are supported https://momentjs.com/docs/#/displaying/                                                                                       

# Default system date format used in time range picker and other places where full time is displayed                                                                                           
full_date = YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:ss

Not sure how to edit it at the moment though, as the file within the docker container is read only and editors suitable for my level of skill aren't there :) - I'll try and have a poke around later

Has anyone had any problems with the automated backups to Google cloud as per the excellent instructions from @DaveW ?

My backups seem to be failing after a few days of reliable operation. It first happened about 10 days ago, so I redid the chron thingy (that’s a technical term :rolleyes:) and it was okay again. I’ve checked my TeslaMate Google folder today and new files were written at 0300 up until Saturday, but nothing for Sunday or Monday.

Any advice on what/how I should check what’s going on would be gratefully received!

Has anyone had any problems with the automated backups to Google cloud as per the excellent instructions from @DaveW ?

My backups seem to be failing after a few days of reliable operation. It first happened about 10 days ago, so I redid the chron thingy (that’s a technical term :rolleyes:) and it was okay again. I’ve checked my TeslaMate Google folder today and new files were written at 0300 up until Saturday, but nothing for Sunday or Monday.

Any advice on what/how I should check what’s going on would be gratefully received!

That's really odd - I take it the cron entry still exists?

Have you tried the classic IT fix yet with the Pi Roy? :)